Baby Showers
Options

Update on my lovely cousins Baby Shower (long)

So some of you might remember a little while ago I posted about how I was lucky enough to get one the the prestigious invites to my cousin baby shower. Yes just me and her other 80 odd closest facebook friends. Its was branded as cocktails and Hors d'oeuvre.

Well I attended it the other night and I though I should give you ladies an update. This will be long which is why I haven't posted it yet even though I attended Sunday evening.

What to say oh what to say, it was nothing more then I expected. 

My poor mother spent hours baking and cooking things to bring,  so we went not only with gifts but a ton of food to boot. We got there and were greeted by a stranger. I had to ask where to hang my coat (I had never been to the hostess house before). I carried my gift and other guest (some whom were elderly and others who have physical disabilities) down the stairs to where the gifts where to be placed (upon instructions from the stranger). I ran into my aunt (the mother of the MTB) down there, her major concern seemed to be did anyone place a sign on the downstairs toilet about not flushing paper. Ok.

Next we waited in the living room upstairs  with someone else none of us knew to be instructed to write messages on diapers. ? Then we over heard from another guest that there was a door prize we should put our name in so I set out to find that. The entire evening I was not introduce by the hostess or the MTB to anyone.

Once I returned from locating the door prize entry bag, the place was already getting a bit over filled. They invited over 90 people to a house.

It was time to eat, everything was cold, cold spring rolls, cold wings, cold sausage rolls, cold chili (apparently someone forgot to turn it on), cold chicken bits,  oh wait there was hot meatballs. And at the end of the night we found out there was hot food covered up in a slow cooker in the corner. There was at least a lot of food (sandwiches, cheese, meats, crackers, dips, sweets, etc) mind you my mother and other aunts of the MTB brought a fair amount of it.

While eating I went to get drinks for myself, mom and some aunts. The selection was soda, wine, or various strange concoctions in punch bowls that no one was informed what they contained. I settled for soda and brought it back to the rest. It was not cold which is fine for me and my sensitive teeth but was not a hit with the others. One aunt wanted ice water so I set off to find some, I found the mother of the MTB in the kitchen and asked about ice water for her SIL. She looked at me "Ummmm, maybe tap water." Ok, keep in mind this is her other daughters house she know where everything is. But fine I brought back a glass of tap water that was anything but cold even thought I let it run.

So we are sitting in the living room eating and its opened concept so we can see into the kitchen when the hostess comes to open the window as her friends in the kitchen are  warm. My mother and another aunt are sat right in front of the window on the limited seating, so mom says if you open that we are going to be cold. My cousin "the hostess" tells mom and my aunt if they are cold then they will have to move. My sister jumps in and say that she doesn't think thats very fair, the hostess screws up her face "...." facial expression varies and walks away. Another side note is there are windows and a door in the kitchen.

So I went downstairs at this point as there was less people down there and no family members (read hostess, MTB or mother of the MTB).  Apparently when I was downstairs the hostess and the MTB started playing secret games in the kitchen that my mother had to interject herself into as no-one not the hostess and MTB friends were invited to play. Oh I mean no-one not in the kitchen was invited to play.

Then came gifts where everyone who wanted to watch (almost everyone) had to squeeze into a narrow room, the MTB got a *** load. While she opened we played baby gift bingo (you know where you write down what you think she will get and play bingo as she opens the gifts) well the top of the sheet said there was one prize for straight line, one for four corners and one for a full card. But when a close friend of the hostess got the second four corners there was an extra prize. 

At the end of the shower mom (and me cause I was her ride) had to stay to clean up a bit so we did. I was happy to leave.

The next day my mother got a call from the MTB to thank her for coming and bring food, and for the gifts. Then she was asked to pass it on to me and my sister. 

So to summaries I was out $30+ for my gift (mom and sister gave there own) and 3 hours of my life.  I love have to attend family functions.

Re: Update on my lovely cousins Baby Shower (long)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"