Adoption

A Story of an Adoption and a Birth Child

I feel compelled to share with those of you thinking about adoption and worries over birth children and how you may or may not feel.

I was 25 when I feel in-love with my daughter Madalyn. She was born at 6.5 months gestational and went to live in my parent's home as a foster baby. When she was 8 months old I wanted to adopt her, even though I was in the middle of my master's program.

I pursued the adoption as a single mom and almost 2 years after I started the process she officially became my baby. That was over 6 years ago.

I remember being worried over the question of whether I would love her the way a mother should love her child. Those concerns lingered but truly there was no reason for the concern.

I adopted Madalyn never thinking I would get married and I was not considering more children as a single mom. When I was 31 I met my husband. He became Madalyn's daddy as if he were meant for the role. We were married a year later and he adopted Madalyn on Valentine's Day 2011.

Three months after we were married I got pregnant.  In the midst of the emotions of the pregnancy I was caught up in the worry that I would be ruining Madalyn?s life. Then I was worried about sharing my love with my 2 children.

When Eva was born I was in for a shock. She was a crier and I could not soothe her. I didn?t know how I would ever love her, my birth child the way I did Madalyn, my adopted child. In time I fell-in love with Eva and couldn?t imagine my life without either of my children. I love Madalyn the way a mother loves any child and I would do anything for her. It doesn?t matter that we look different than each other or her sister is light and she is dark.

Madalyn loves her baby sister to pieces and has yet to complain about being a big sister or sharing a room.

I remember my sister telling me she couldn?t imagine adopting because with 4 birth children she didn?t believe she had it in her heart to love another child and to that I think she is wrong. It doesn?t matter if you adopt first and then have a birth child or have a birth child and then adopt. I am convinced a mother?s heart is big enough to love all her children and it?s not a matter of birth or adoption.

Madalyn has begun to ask about her ?real? mom and to that I tell her I am ?real?. She changes her questions to her ?other? mom and I tell her everything I can. We do not have an open adoption due to the birth family not wanting one, and so I can only tell her what I know.

But all I can say for certain is adoption is a choice that can take you on a journey to love, fulfillment and parenthood. Remember, being a parent is a hard job, regardless of how you became one.

All children all gifts and should be treasured. I wish you all the best and am more than willing to talk about or answer questions about my journey through single-mom adoption and the combination of birth children and adopted children in one family.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: A Story of an Adoption and a Birth Child

• Wow. Thank you so much for sharing your story!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you so much for sharing, that is so beautiful.  Also I LOVE the names Evangeline and Madelyn, lovely!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Loading the player...
  • Beautiful story! I love it!
  • Thanks for sharing!!!
  • Thank you for sharing! What a gorgeous family!
    Adoption Blog Updated 2/15
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Beautiful story!  Thanks so much for sharing.  Your girls are adorable!

TTC since March 2010, BFP #1 11.09.10, ectopic, m/c 12.14.10 (10w)
    Clomid + TI=BFN, IUIs 1-6= BFN
    Application for domestic adoption submitted 4/18/12, matched 8/12/12, DD born 10/31/12

• Beautiful names and beautiful family indeed. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • Thank you for sharing your story. We have just had our 2nd failed IVF & your words couldn't have come at a better time. I am ready to move on to adoption. My hubby is not ready. I can't even get him to talk about it. I am not giving up on biological children, but there are alot of children that need homes with loving parents ~ why couldn't that be us? I am going to share your story with DH. Best wishes to your family.
    TTC since 2006 3 Fertility Clinics Test, Pills & Injectables....oh my. Numerous failed IUI's 7 or 8 or more? IVF #1 June 2012 ~ praying this is the only one ER 6/13/12 - 13 ret, 7 fertilized, 7 progressing, ET 6/15/12, BFN & No freeze babies. Onto IVF #2 in October 2012. No, wait, body not cooperating. IVF #2 in November 2012 IVF #2 Began Provera in Sept to make me start. Never started. I O'd on my own??? 2 weeks of BCPs. Period. Baseline & Labs 10/25 Stims started 10/26 ~ 225 Follistim in the am. 150 Bravelle & 5 Lupron in pm. Trigger 11/4, ER 11/6, ET 11/9 - 2 great embies. 3 Freezebabies. Beta 11/23/2012 BFN. Now what??? I don't know if I can keep going? Daisypath Anniversary tickers I know the Lord would put a strong desire in my heart if it wasn't meant to be. - Isaiah 41:10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"