Birth Stories

Hynobabies natural turned induction turned C-section

I had always known I wanted a natural birth so when I found out I was pregnant I started doing some research and decided on the Hypnobabies Home Study Course to help me prepare. I practiced religiously and was so ready for contractions to start! I gained A LOT of weight (80 lbs in all) and was miserable towards the end of my pregnancy.

I started having contractions at around 37 weeks and headed to the hospital one night only to be sent home because my cervix was still closed. I shouldn't have gone to the hospital that night because the contractions weren't really hurting but I got nervous because they were immediately 6 minutes apart (ftm!)

Everything continued on as normal, my weekly appointments were very routine, and we started talking induction at week 39. My doctor ended up having her baby prematurely and wasn't around for my last few appointments and was admitted back into the hospital afterwards for complications so I lost my doctor and would be delivering with stranger which made me nervous because my doctor was on board with all of my natural plans and was very supportive.

I held off on induction until 41 weeks 5 days. I was admitted to the hospital at 10 pm on October 7th and given 2 doses of Cytotec through the night to help ripen my cervix which was still completely closed. By the morning of October 8th I wasn't even dilated to a 1 and was having contractions too close together to be administered another dose of cytotec so pitocin was started.

I was on pitocin for a while and very soon was on the max dosage with contractions that looked good on the monitors but I was very comfortable and felt like I was just having period cramps the nurses couldn't believe how well I was handling the pitocin contractions but really I could barely feel them. I felt like such a badass and hadn't even started using Hypnobabies. I spent the entire day just hanging out and visiting with my family who were all there to cheer me on and meet the new little family member.

At about 6 pm on October 8th the doctor on call came in to check me and I hadn't made ANY progress so we talked C-section. I wasn't excited about it but after so long and having cytotec and pitocin and still not making any progress I was ready to have it over with and didn't feel like there was going to be any other way. The doctor wanted to wait another 2 hours to check again and make sure nothing had changed.

At 8:15 pm on October 8th I gave birth to my 10 pound baby boy, Crew Charles, via C-section. The doctor said he was just too big and I was too small, his head was too big to lower into my pelvis to even make contact with my cervix. We were able to breastfeed rather quickly after delivery and have been going strong ever since.

Things were tough the first few weeks, he cried constantly, only wanted to nurse and would only sleep if he fell asleep nursing but I couldn't lay him down or he would start crying again. The doctor ruled out any problems and just told us he must be colicky. It was HORRIBLE! I was very depressed and wasn't connecting with Crew like I felt I should. I felt like I may have postpartum depression and was rethinking the decision to even have a baby. I felt so helpless.

We had a lot of challenges during our birth and first weeks postpartum but things have turned around completely, we couldn't be happier. He's 6 weeks old today and things are completely different. He's a much happier baby and I'm a much happier mommy! I love him so much I can't even believe it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hynobabies natural turned induction turned C-section

• I remember your post on the Natural Birth board about your induction. I am sorry that things did not turn out the way you had envisioned in the beginning, but I am glad you have a healthy baby and that you are over the worst part of the postpartum period. The first six weeks really are so hard.

Congratulations!

• Thank you so much! Things happened very differently than I had planned but I'm okay with it now. The first few weeks really were awful! I'm so happy to be on the other side of it!

• Loading the player...
  • There is nothing wrong w/ having a C section!
    __________________________________________________________________________________________Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"