Minnesota Babies

New to board & looking for OBGYN

Hello Ladies,

I am 27 years old and newly married. My DH and I are 'planning' to start TTC come March.  

I'm looking for an OBGYN now to ensure that I am healthy and ready to start TTC next spring. (My old doctor is about an hour and a half away in Wisconsin. Plus I don't care for him much anyway.)

Any suggestions for OBGYNs in the St. Paul, Eagan, Apple Valley, Woodbury, or Minneapolis areas? (Trying to stay away from the West suburbs, but open to suggestions.)

Thanks in advance!

Re: New to board & looking for OBGYN

• Where do you want to deliver?  That will help with your OB selection.  I met with both Dr. Cho at Southdale OBGYN in Burnsville and with Dr. Mies at Metro OBGYN in Apple Valley. I liked both doctors and practices.  I went with Dr. Mies at Metro OBGYN because she delivers at St. Joe's in St. Paul (and United, Woodwinds, and St. John's).  She also delivers more than 1/2 of her patients. Dr. Cho delivers at Ridges in Burnsville and Southdale. 

My two boys are getting a surprise May 2015!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Thank you for your recommendation. I honestly have not thought of where I'd like to deliver. I live in St. Paul so most likely United, St. Joes, or Children's. Open to hospital suggestions as well.

I will definitely want my doctor to deliver if at all possible. Again, thank you!

• Loading the player...
  • I work at Fairview Riverside and delivered there as well.  I used the Riverside Womens Clinic group.  I had the midwives as my primary and that's who I saw for my prenatal appts.  However, I was hospitalized during my pregnancy for kidney stones so was followed by the clinic's OBs for that hospital stay.   And, ended up needing a vacuum extraction for my delivery, so had an OB and midwife present.  I was happy with that group, both OBs and Midwives. 

Riverside and United have the perk of being attached to Childrens Hospitals, if, god forbid, anything be wrong with the baby.  It was a comfort to me knowing that the NICU was right down the hall, and due to the vacuum extraction, there was actually a NICU team in my room for the delivery. 

May want to check your insurance to see if there is a 'preferred' hospital.  Preferred One is affiliated with Fairview, Medica with Allina, HealthPartners with Regions - so delivering at certain hospitals is less expensive.  Since I work at Fairview, delivering at a Fairview hospital is less expensive than had I gone elsewhere. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I used to see the group that Dr. Mies is at but left due to a major clash in personality with one of their nurse practitioners. long story. I saw Amy Kelly there and liked her. Dr. Mies is my sister's OB as well.

I moved to comprehensive healthcare for women in woodbury and am seeing Dr. Mahan and have been happy so far. We are going to deliver at Woodwinds this spring but do check which hospitals are in network for your insurance before you get your heart set on a specific place. Not all docs deliver at all the hospitals.
  • There are many good Obs, you really do need to pick a hospital first. Unjust recently posted about this https://www.growingupminnesota.com/2012/11/hospitalchoicescsectionrates/. If I had it to do over again I'd deliver at St Joes. Lowest csection rates, wonderful reputation, allows water birth, etc. Therefore, I'd probably stick with Healtheast midwives. I went to Generations, which was great, but less flexible with appointments and a bit of a hike for me.
  • I agree with the PP in that you really need to choose where you want to deliver first (imagine it's in the middle of winter in a blinding snowstorm and you've got to trudge out to the hospital for your epidural - - you can deliver a baby anywhere, you can only get the epi there LOL).. 

I delivered at Regions both times, my only gripe there is their post partum area.  The L&D area staff was absolutely FAN-FREAK'n-TASTIC!!! Could not have asked for a better L&D experience my second time around. The OB's were from the clinic in Woodbury and were awesome and on top of things during my inductions.. I also had several overnight stays at Regions for complications during the PG and the staff there was fantastic during those times as well. I had a lot of nurses in the PP area that could be nicknamed "Ms. Personality"...  I honestly felt like I'd have been better off after I delivered and my IV and cath removed if I'd have just packed up right then and gone home because the staff was just that helpful and supportive (They only wanted to give me extra strength tylenol PP and made it seem like a capitol case when I asked for something a bit stronger because I had an epi before my pain level was where it was...  Then I hit the point that they missed my daily meds so many times even with pre-orders that I started taking my own from home, then I think they came in once during shift change to say there was a shift change and you'd never hear from them again). 

I can't say what the other hospital's L&D and PP areas are like.  We spent the week after DS was born at Children's in SP..  If your little one has problems that's where you want to be!  United also has a LOT better food than Regions!!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I work at Woodwinds L&D and suggest Dr Burroughs at Crown OBGYN in Woodbury.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I see Dr Grande at Metro OBGYN. He's almost always behind unless you get the first appointment of the day but he spends his time with you and doesn't seem rushed. They have locations all over the Cities, I have seen him in Woodbury, Maplewood, and St Paul. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I live near Apple Valley and delivered at Fairview Ridges (Burnsville) located right off of 35E. The clinic I went to is connected directly to the hospital which was great!

My OB was Allen Hartsough and I cannot say enough good things about him. I moved to the area around 20w and he has taken care of me since.

He knows what he is doing and is an "all business" type. Very calm which is exactly what I needed as a FTM. He preformed my unexpected c-section and I am beyond happy with the entire process!

I also met with a few other OBs in the office and all were great, best of luck to you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"