International Bumpies

Any expats in France or Europe?

Bonjour (hello),

I am an American expat living in France. I am almost 45 and TTC. DH and I went to the local gynecologist. He basically examined me "down there" and said my body is healthy enough to have a baby. And to do it naturally.

Some women on the over 35 board suggested additional tests to see if my eggs are healthy.

Anyone else saw a gyneco in France?

Thank you,

hulagirl 

Re: Any expats in France or Europe?

• HI, I live in Luxembourg so not far from France. I have a friend who saw a French OB of ger pregnancy but I don't know too much about her experience etc.

Have you been in France long? I'd talk to people near you to find a good recommendation or your family doctor. 

I know some doctors over here can be strange about fertility problems, one told a friend of my mum that she didn't have fertility problems, she just didn't want to be pregnant enough! If you get someone like that remember they are being stupid and find a new doctor. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Hi - I'm in Germany. I don't know how it is in France, but here if you're having trouble TTC (so for you that would probably be over 6 months with no success), then you can go to the university hospital (I happen to live a 10 min walk away) and get advice and hooked up with doctors who can help. Otherwise I'd just say to get an OBGYN recommendation from friends and get a second opinion.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Loading the player...
  • I had trouble TTC here in Denmark, and instead of going through the public system and getting help, I went to a private clinic.  Is there one of those you can check into?  Not sure what the healthcare is like in France, but ours is free (it comes out in our taxes), but I was impatient, and didn't want to wait 6 months to even get a first appointment in the public system.  
  • imageMouseInLux:

HI, I live in Luxembourg so not far from France. I have a friend who saw a French OB of ger pregnancy but I don't know too much about her experience etc.

Have you been in France long? I'd talk to people near you to find a good recommendation or your family doctor. 

I know some doctors over here can be strange about fertility problems, one told a friend of my mum that she didn't have fertility problems, she just didn't want to be pregnant enough! If you get someone like that remember they are being stupid and find a new doctor. 

Thanks. I've been living in France almost two years. I also did my Junior Year Abroad in Paris twenty years ago. I asked my family doctor a recommendation for a gynecologist. He told me to go the the local hospital where they have gynecos. He seemed competent enough. Oh well, we just started, and will wait about six months before I insist on more tests, etc. 

• imagekelly321:
    Hi - I'm in Germany. I don't know how it is in France, but here if you're having trouble TTC (so for you that would probably be over 6 months with no success), then you can go to the university hospital (I happen to live a 10 min walk away) and get advice and hooked up with doctors who can help. Otherwise I'd just say to get an OBGYN recommendation from friends and get a second opinion.

The university hospital sounds like an excellent suggestion. There's a university town not far from where I live. I'll switch to there if I am having problems here. Thanks again. 

• imageAmberinDenmark:
    I had trouble TTC here in Denmark, and instead of going through the public system and getting help, I went to a private clinic.  Is there one of those you can check into?  Not sure what the healthcare is like in France, but ours is free (it comes out in our taxes), but I was impatient, and didn't want to wait 6 months to even get a first appointment in the public system.  

Not sure. Think the hospital in my town is a public system. Yes, I am covered by the French social security system so I didn't pay a dime or euro. I'll look into the alternatives if I am not successful in six months.

Thanks for your support. 

• imageexpatmama:

Also private clinics have no wait, so I know several people who went that route as well due to that, although it is expensive.  

My treatment at the private clinic was not that expensive.  I did not require IVF, but only needed injections to get my eggs to develop, and then an additional shot that triggered ovulation.  The clinic only made me pay for the pharmacy bill for the injections (Gonal-f) and ovulation trigger.  The first pregnancy only took one round of treatment while the second pregnancy took 3 rounds.  Maybe this could be the case for you?  

• imageexpatmama:

I have no idea about the French rules, but I know that in Sweden they cap 'free' IVF trials at 40 years old. Which means everyone over 40 has to pay at a private clinic.

Also private clinics have no wait, so I know several people who went that route as well due to that, although it is expensive.  

This is true in Italy as well. Actually it's not only a cap on "free" IVF but on all IVF so if you are over 40 you need to go abroad. From what I have read many people head to Spain.
  • I am currently in the United States but I spent 2 years in France. There healthcare system is great so there nothing to worry about here.
  • Hello and welcome! I wish I had advice on TTC, but I am not living in France.  Sending you positive thoughts on your TTC journey though!

DH and I are both Americans living in Scotland with our 11 month old DD and dog.  We arrived here about 6 months ago and plan on being here 3-4 years.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• I'm in Belgium (also French speaking). The doctors here aren't always helpful, but then I'm sure you've already discovered that. Smile

I found a great OBGYN in Brussels by finding a good GP and then asking her who delivered her baby. Fertility treatments are very affordable here so definitely check into. It takes me weeks to get an appointment (and friends have needed 2-3 months to get into the fertility clinics) so it's never too late to make the appointment IMHO.

Good luck!

______________________________________________________________________________

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Trying to conceive #2
    Me: 36 - slight DOR (AMH: 1.1), decent OAR; DH: 41 - Morphology 4%
    NTNP July-Aug 2014, ATTC Sept 2014-Present
    October 2014 - CP
    July 2015 - Clomid + #1 IUI = BFN
    September 2015 - Clomid + #2 IUI = CP
    October 2015 - Letrozole (5 follies - yay!) + #3 IUI = BFN
    November 2015 - CP
    December 2015 - CP
    February 2016 - Letrozole + #4 IUI = CP
    April 2016 - CP
    May/June 2016 - IVF #1 and IUI #5 (Estrace + Follistim + micro-hCG + HGH) = BFN

Struggled to conceive #1 2012-2013
    Me: Chronic Pain Condition since 2009, DH: Slightly Abnormal SA
    Clomid #1: March 2013 - BFN; Clomid + IUI: May 2013 CXL; BFP on 4/22/13 = Baby Boy #1 1/1/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"