Eco-Friendly Family

Alternatives to Baby Wipes??

So I have a long time to find out about this...not due til July, but anyone know of any alternatives to baby wipes?  I am trying to be as eco as I can so I am doing all my research now.  I asked my mom what they did when I was a kid and she said a washcloth in a plastic bag did the trick but wondering if there are any other alternatives? 

Re: Alternatives to Baby Wipes??

• We use cloth wipes and diapers exclusively (Bum Genius, Smartipants and BabyKicks wipes). We just dip them into a little bowl of water to moisten, or dump some sippy cup water on them, if out and about. Then toss in a wetbag for later washing. With two kids  cloth has saved us like $5k!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We use cloth wipes (Thirsties Fab wipes are our favourites) and stick them in the wetbag along with the cloth diapers when dirty.  Baby washcloths work just fine as wipes.
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Loading the player...
  • Over 4 years of cloth diapering I've used a few different types of cloth wipes.  The bulk of our stash is baby wash cloths.  They're cheap, are the perfect size and provide just the right amount of scrubbiness.  I've also gotten a few samples when I ordered diapers various places and none have stood out as super fantastic to be worth the extra money.  A friend also made us some which I like.  One side is the flannel like a receiving blanket and the other side is a soft terry cloth-like (not exactly terry like a towel though) material which is really soft but not exceptionally great for the stubborn stick to the bum poo. 

In short, if I had to do it all over again I'd still stick with just the baby wash cloths.  I'm confident our entire stash of wipes (we have probably over 40) didn't cost over $10.   We're still using the same wipes we used when we started 4 years ago. 

We just warm and wet them in running water then stick with the dirty diapers until wash day. 

• I use some of the million baby washcloths I got at my baby shower...You will probably get a bunch too... if not you can get them cheaply... probably enough to last you till potty training for the same cost as 1-2 pks of disposable wipes.  I have some that are cut up from a few old receiving blankets as well.

I wet them and stick em in an old sandwich container.  It's been fine as long as I only wet enough for one day.  Some people keep the peri bottle from the hospital full of water and wet each one as they use it.

I then throw them in the wetbag with the cloth diapers and wash it all together at the same time.

Are you planning on using cloth diapers?  Check out the Cloth Diaper board if you are... the ladies have tons of great advice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I made my own. The wipes are double layered flannel. The size we use the most is 2x4 inches. I just cut out flannel rectangles and sewed them together (inside out, not stitching a little bit, turning them right side out, stitching the hole).

The solution we use is 90% water, 10% olive oil, and a few drops of tea tree oil in a spray bottle.

Spray the wipe, wipe the bum, wipe goes in the dirty diaper bag and gets washed with the diapers!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageFoo572:
    I made my own. The wipes are double layered flannel. The size we use the most is 2x4 inches. I just cut out flannel rectangles and sewed them together inside out, not stitching a little bit, turning them right side out, stitching the hole.The solution we use is 90 water, 10 olive oil, and a few drops of tea tree oil in a spray bottle. Spray the wipe, wipe the bum, wipe goes in the dirty diaper bag and gets washed with the diapers!

2x4 really?! That seems so small! Especially since 8x8 are the commercial size. Do you maybe mean 4x8? I've heard that's a good size.
  • I cloth diaper and use cloth wipes.  It's so much easier to just throw them all in the wash than to pick out wipes and throw away, plus I feel like they clean so much better!  I bought some cloth wipes to start with from a local cloth diaper store and now I make my own out of recieving blankets.  I just use a spray bottle with water in it or add some drops of baby wash to it. 
  • I have used several options we cloth diapers so we made our own with papertowel and solution, most recently I use a spray bottle with baby oil and water mixed and simply wioe off the dirty with TP however I also made cloth wipes and now use those too
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I use baby wash cloths for cloth wipes. We keep a spray bottle with water and a tiny squirt of baby wash at the changing table and it works just fine.
    Pregnancy Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Cloth wipes and a spray bottle of water works way better than disposable wipes. You are only suppose to use water on new borne anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"