Maryland Babies

Drinking while pregnant

A friend of mine (who knows) offered me a glass of wine this past weekend at her house. I turned it down, cited baby and moved on. End of it right? she JUST emailed me this article and told me to lighten up.

https://healthland.time.com/2012/06/20/alcohol-in-pregnancy-light-to-moderate-drinking-is-safe-study-says/

Im not saying I agree or disagree with the study, but isnt it my choice to abstain from alcohol while pregnant? I dont need an article telling me I can if I want. I just found it really weird she felt the need to send this to me.

To *try* to understand her POV- I was a big wine drinker before preg. but wow...

Re: Drinking while pregnant

• While I have heard that it's probably fine to have the occasional glass of wine during pregnancy, I am very surprised that someone would scoff at *not* drinking while pregnant! That's kind of the norm (at least in this country)! Also, even if alcohol in moderation is okay, 1st trimester is a time to be extra cautious.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • I agree with you, it is YOUR choice to drink or not regardless of how you drank before. I think she was trying to be helpful with the information, but didn't present it to you in the correct way. I would just express your view point while appreciating hers.

Congrats and welcome to the board!

Hope (32), James (36), Sophee (1 year old), McKenzee (7 weeks) CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Ah yes, prepare yourself....this is just the beginning of people giving you unsolicited advice during your pregnancy! I don't know why, its the weirdest thing.

FWIW I was aware of all the articles etc telling me a little was ok but I still chose to abstain during both of my pregnancies.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks everyone. I wasnt certain if hormones were causing me to take this too personally or whatnot, but i was really shocked :(
  • Wow, I think your friend was overstepping her bounds by sending you the article and telling you to lighten up. I had a few sips of alcohol each pregnancy, like probably 5 sips total each time, and it's definitely a personal choice that other people should respect. Kinda like whether you choose BF/FF and stuff like that.

I would have been shocked too.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Wow, I agree. While I know it is safe to enjoy an occasional drink, I think it is pretty rude to send you a link and tell you to lighten up. This is your choice!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ok, this ended up being longer than I intended:

I think she was overstepping her bounds, but this may be part of a bigger issue on her part. I am assuming that she doesn't have any kids/never been pg. You said you were a big wine drinker yourself, so I am assuming that she was enjoying it with you. Perhaps she is worried about how you are changing/will change and doesn't want that to happen. Maybe she's afraid you will grow apart, or not :)

I agree that you will get a ton of unsolicited advice. FWIW, I did have sips here and there and even a 1/2 full sampler glass of beer (about a shot glass worth).

However, You need to do what YOU are comfortable with.

(I'm probably projecting about what happened with one of my friends when I stopped drinking. I still don't drink as much as I did pre-pg. I was bfing for a long time and didn't feel like pumping and dumping. Now DD is not a great sleeper and the thought of getting up at 5 and taking care of a toddler all day while hung over is not on my top list of priorities.)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Yeah she was overstepping her bounds.  If she had said "hey did you hear about this study yada yada yada" that'd still be kind of annoying, because it's your choice to not drink during pregnancy and I cant imagine someone judging you for that, but telling you to lighten up was just inappropriate.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'd be pretty pissed off if my friend told me to get over it. It's your body/baby and if you feel like abstaining from alcohol, that's your decision.

With both girls I had one sip of wine when I was pregnant and even then I freaked out slightly.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"