International Bumpies
Options

Adoptive mama looking for travel w/ toddler tips

Hi ladies,

In 6 days my DH and I are traveling to Moscow to bring our new son home!  He's 2 1/2 but since he has been institutionalized his development is probably more like a 24 month old.  Our flight home will be a 10 hour flight, 3 hour layover, and 2 hour flight.  (And then a 3 hour drive.)

What are you best tips for traveling with a toddler?

TTC September 2010 thru October 2011
SA February 2011: Normal
RE App. October 2011 - Recc. Clomid and IUI

Taking a break from TTC to pursue adoption

Met our 2 year old son in Russia July 2012!
Court trip October 2012
Home November 24 2012!

Back to RE Summer 2013. TTC journey continues: 

Dx DOR, endometriosis, low sperm count 
Clomid + IUI#1, #2 = BFN / IUI #3 = ???

Laparoscopy scheduled December 2013

Adding a Burden

Re: Adoptive mama looking for travel w/ toddler tips

• Options

Congratulations on your new son!

Bring several toys that he can take a while to investigate - since everything will likely be new to him, you'll have the advantage that he might be curious about everything (sounds, textures, pictures, etc).

Also bring plenty of different snacks. This might be a little hard since you don't know yet what he'll like, but maybe while you're there you can ask whoever has been responsible for him up to this point if you can have a few of his favorite snacks to take along with you. Maybe the same with the toys - can you buy a couple of his favorite toys from them so not everything is completely new?

In general, traveling with a toddler is simply no fun, in my experience. Just keep reminding yourself that it's only 18 hours from start to finish. You can handle 18 hours of a pent-up toddler even if he ends up screaming most of the time. I wish you the best of luck and a good start to your new life with your DS!

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options

ditto pp

bring lots of stuff for him to do - coloring books, stickers, crayons, board books, small toys like cars or trucks

and lots of snacks - cheerios, goldfish, etc

you may want to consider getting a CARES harness. They are great for long flights - and made for 2-4 year olds because he'll have to be buckled in for at LEAST take off and landing.

I also bring lots of drinks with me - like juice boxes, long life milk, etc. You are allowed to bring through as much liquids as you need for the flight when you travel with a toddler - don't let TSA tell you otherwise and they CANNOT open it to check it - all they can do is swipe the outside. Dehydration has always been our biggest issue with long flights, so make sure you get as much liquid into him as possible. I'd also bring a few sippy cups with you - 1 for water and 1 for other (milk or whatever).

Good luck - SO excited for you!!!!! I read your blog when I saw a post of yours on the 24+ board :) You're more than welcome to continue posting here too as your ds is international!!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I agree with pps, they already gave great advice.  I wanted to add if you had one, Ipads work great for us on long flights with our DD.  We add a couple new apps before each flight so she has something new to do.  Some of the apps that are popular with DD are Peek-a-boo Barn and Peek-a-boo Wild. (DD is only 10 months, but your DS might enjoy them as well-my sister's 2 1/2 year old DS loved it)

There is also a free bubble app where you touch the screen and bubbles appear and begin move so you have to touch them again to "pop" them.

Congrats on your DS! How exciting, I wish you all the best!

Also, you are more than welcome to stay on this board too :)

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• Options

Thanks ladies!  That is really helpful.  I am going to pack an extra sippy now and I do have a kindle fire so I will see about those apps!

Thanks for inviting me to the board too.  I'm Canadian, DH is American and DS is Russian so really I feel like I fit in here ;-) ha! 

TTC September 2010 thru October 2011
    SA February 2011: Normal
    RE App. October 2011 - Recc. Clomid and IUI

Taking a break from TTC to pursue adoption

Met our 2 year old son in Russia July 2012!
    Court trip October 2012
    Home November 24 2012!

Back to RE Summer 2013. TTC journey continues: 

Dx DOR, endometriosis, low sperm count 
    Clomid + IUI#1, #2 = BFN / IUI #3 = ???

Laparoscopy scheduled December 2013

Adding a Burden
  • Options

Hello and welcome! I read your blog last night - how exciting!

The girls have said a lot. You can even bring small things though, not toys, but things like band aids, new books, silly things you might find at the drug store. (Un)wrapping things can be entertaining too at that age.

Steer clear of too many snacks that are sweet, if you dont know how well he copes with sugar. Mine are awful with sugar crashes, so we've learned to avoid it on flights and travelling, where tempers are short anyway. But lollipops are great for taking off and landing.

Will he have his own seat? If he's not used to a car seat, it may not be so useful. Mine hated hte CARES harness though. Maybe just a snuggly blanket and make a nest for him - and if he's like mine, expect to have him on you for a lot of the flight! :)

Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"