January 2013 Moms

BF realted Weight loss

Hi All!  I have a question for second time moms, I have read from a lot of people that they lost weight while breast feeding but I am wondering if it was all the weight they gained during the pregnancy or did anyone end up losing more weight than pre-pregnancy weight?  Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

Re: BF realted Weight loss

• I gained 50 lbs with DS and lost all but 6-7 lbs BFing.  I think I would have lost more, but I got pregnant when DS was like 6 months and DS ended up weaning at 8 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm a FTM, but nearly all of my 10+ friends (who have had babies in the past couple of years) have lost all of their baby weight plus some while breastfeeding.  However, like a PP said, they made healthy choices and watched what they ate. 

I was thinking about joining the Weight Watcher's program for nursing moms to keep track of my food.  A couple of my friends did it and look better than they did before baby.  

• Loading the player...
  • I lost all my weight and some while BF.....unfortunately after I stopped, I gained some back.
    DS #1 10/21/06 DD #2 04/11/10 DS #3 01/28/13 Edd #4 08/28/15 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I just wanted to say I wish I hadn't listened to people who told me the weight would fall off while BF because it didn't.  I didn't lose weight until I weaned at 11 months and that's actually pretty common.  Many women have a hard time losing weight while BF. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I gained 43lbs with my last pregnancy and ended up losing 47lbs by 4 months post partum.  I EBF and did not control my diet or workout.  I was a size 6 before I got pregnant and ended up a size 4 after.  Not sure if BFing was the only cause or if the lack of sleep and increase of activity (just from carrying a baby around, chasing after a crawler etc) helped too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Graphics
  • I'm one of the unlucky ones. I did not lose a pound while breastfeeding. I ate very well. I only started to lose once I stopped and started working out hardcore again. My body changed a lot post baby. I'm also in my early 30s, so that may be why it's a bit harder for me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I didn't lose weight while breast feeding, but I know people who have.
  • I was below pre-pg weight a week postpartum, so my weight loss had nothing to do with breastfeeding. In fact, i gained what I lost over the next several months breastfeeding because I was so hungry. Some woman lose weight bfing, but many don't. I think if I want to lose weight this time, I'm going to have to calorie count, and be strict with the kinds of foods I eat. I need to eat enough, to not screw with my supply, to not feel starved, but to still allow my body to drop a pound a week. :/

I have a friend who has lost a lot of weight since having a baby, but her major weight loss journey didn't begin until she weaned. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Breastfeeding effects everyone differently because it's a hormonal process.  I've had friends who literally can't keep weight in while breastfeeding (so lost what they gained during pregnancy + some) as well as friends who held on to some of their pregnancy weight until they stopped breastfeeding and then they were able to lose it (I'm talking like 10-15lbs).
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I'm a FTM so this can be taken with a grain of salt but I've been told by both my doctors and nurses that when you EBF it's an extra 500 calories that are being let out a day.. I can see how it would be very very easy to loose more than you gained during pregnancy!
  • imagedrpayne:
    I just wanted to say I wish I hadn't listened to people who told me the weight would fall off while BF because it didn't.  I didn't lose weight until I weaned at 11 months and that's actually pretty common.  Many women have a hard time losing weight while BF. 

This was me too. I'm sure it's different for everyone, but as soon as I started BFing, I was the hungriest I had ever been in my life! I didn't gain any weight, but I didn't lose any either. My pregnancy cravings and appetite are nothing compared to my appetite while BFing! 

• I would love to lose the baby weight + 3 pounds! I'm hoping since on top of BFing I plan to baby wear all the time carrying her around will help me shed it all back to where I used to be! I was diagnosed with hypothyroid like 2 days before I got pregnant so losing an extra 3 pounds would take me right back to "the good old days"
  • imageKayleighG27:
    I'm a FTM so this can be taken with a grain of salt but I've been told by both my doctors and nurses that when you EBF it's an extra 500 calories that are being let out a day.. I can see how it would be very very easy to loose more than you gained during pregnancy!

You would think. But hormones also come into play and for some people, the math doesn't work out that way. Sometimes your body knows its feeding another person and wants to hang on to that last 10 lbs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I did BF DD for 14 months and what I'll say is that I easily got down to pre-baby weight with BF.  I was also pretty active as far as walking constantly with DD etc.  However I did not go straight back to pre-baby size if you know what I mean.  My body didnt just amazingly get abs back etc haha.  Thats the part you have to work for!  But as I said it wasnt hard to get down to the weight its just the shape/size I wanted to be required the extra time at the gym/jogging stroller time :-)

Married 5/2/09 To my best friend 
    Lillianna Faith Born 8/26/10- My big girl kindergartner!
    Peach- MC 3/2012
    Logan Christopher Born 2/3/13- My little fighter, cardiac defects, 2 cancer scares and more surgery, tests, MRIs, cat scans, xrays than most people would have to face their whole life.   

Pregnancy Ticker
  • this will vary by person. I know some women who if they remotely watch what they eat at all while BFing lose their supply, and some whose bodies hang onto the last 5-10 no matter what until weaning. 

For me I lost all the weight by 9 months post partum. I didn't start watching what I ate until 2 months out (good to wait till then for supply to regulate). Early on I needed to eat constantly, fwiw. I lost weight but only by watching what I ate and tracking calories (+500 for EBF).  It was not hard for me, but it did require effort. 

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• With DS I gained 50 lbs (being more careful not to do that again...) and lost all of it except the last 5 lbs without really trying while breastfeeding. The last 5 lbs I had to up my exercise a little and it came off too. I then lost an additional 10 lbs that I'd had before getting pregnant although I was still exercising more so it wasn't just due to breastfeeding, but I'm sure it helped!
    BabyFetus Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image+lisamarie+:
    I lost all my weight and some while BF.....unfortunately after I stopped, I gained some back.

This was true for me.

I was active post-baby and ate well but most days also had a treat (muffin, sweet coffee drink). Lost all 40+ lbs I gained with DS by 10 months post-partum. Wasn't that hard. 

Weaned DS at 19 months and slowly gained 10 lbs over a year :(

• Everyone is different, but I lost all my weight and then some. I was lucky and lost it pretty quickly. I think I had lost it all by 8-10 weeks pp.
    Lilypie - (eo79)
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was 119 lbs before getting pregnant with DS, and I was just over 150 when I gave birth to him.  After 6-8 weeks of breastfeeding I was 118 and back in my regular jeans ;-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've always been someone that holds on to 10-15 lbs. while BF'ing. I don't lose the rest of my weight until after I wean. Usually by 13-14 months PP I'm back to my pre-preg weight. My OB explained it that some people need the extra fat store to keep up their milk production. Apparently I'm just one of those "lucky" ones. It does help in the beginning to shrink your uterus. My stomach went from looking pregnant to "normal" within a week.

image DD Kara Ashton 11/16/01 SD Karlee Nicole 11/04/00 DD Karsyn Joy 5/15/09 DS Connor Mack 2/25/11 DD Kaitlyn Mae 12/14/12 2 angels 6/2/08 and 6/9/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
  • I lost the baby weight and then 10 lbs, I gained the 10 back when I stopped. This is my weight loss plan this time, just BF the heck out of this LO - Ha! Wink
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"