Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Are there any "natural" deodorants that actually WORK?!?!

So I love eco-friendly stuff.  I really do.  The problem is I've really struggle with finding effective products.  I've wasted soooooo much money on "green" brands and DIY recipes -- from everything to laundry deterget to dishwashing solution to personal care. 

My latest beef is with deodorant.  I might preface this by saying I live in Phoenix, AZ where it's possible to be dripping with sweat within the 30 seconds it takes to leave your air conditioned vehicle and walk into your air conditioned office.  So unfortunately, going deodorant-free is not an option. 

I've tried Toms of Maine brand as well as a baking soda based one from a local health food store, a coconut-oil-and-goat-milk-based one from my local farmer's market... everything.  And they're all equally junk.  I'm not wild about rubbing aluminum and all kinds of other chemical additives all over my pits everyday, but I work in a professional setting where I'm auditing others and interfacing with the public regularly.  Not to mention I'm a single parent and the last thing I need interfering with my attempts at a social life/dating life is body odor. 

Any brands you would recommend... that actually WORK?  I'm almost tempted to just start taking sh!ttons of fenugreek again like when I was trying to up my milk supply so if I sweat I smell like maple syrup...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage image

Re: Are there any "natural" deodorants that actually WORK?!?!

• Options
    The Crystal works. The big rock. Use it immediately after you shower, or wet it and rub on.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Awesome, I'll check it out-- thanks for the recommendation!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I mixed coconut oil with baking soda and I think it works even better than regular deodorant.  The thing with natural deodorants is that there can be a "detox" phase.  It takes several days for the old deodorant to work its way out of your system. It meant a couple of trips to the washroom to wash and re-apply for 4-5 days. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I use the crystal. One small (trial size $1.75) crystal lasted for 2 yrs. totally cost effective. I had a few days of detox when I first used. The key is to get adequate product under your arms. You don't just do a quick slap of stuff under the arm.  I usually rub for 15-20 secs under each arm. It's not an antiperspirant, so you will still sweat. I've found I actually sweat a lot less now than when I wore conventional products. 
  • Options
    I switched to the Crystal roll on when I got preg. I was equally as worried about protection but have been very happy. I just buy mine in the regular grocery and Walmart also sells it.
  • Options
    We have had the same problem finding one that works well. And we have tried A FEW. lol But I think we have maybe found one we are happy with, Bubble & Bee Organic 'Pit Putty' deodorant stick. We have been using it for a while now and think it is the best of all the ones we have tried.
    I Could never fully understand the statement "they grow so fast" untill you came into my life! Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on  Pinterest
  • Options
    I've tried alot and haven't really been thrilled long term either. And since they aren't antiperspirants I try to wear clothes that you can't see sweating in as much. Like tanks with sweaters. Or certain dark fabrics. Greys are awful for sweating! Also, cotton as much as I love it can show sweating easily as well.

Since I'm pregnant I should try the natural stuff again [this one of the hardest things to change for me!!]
    I'm wondering if you rotate different ones if that's help?

I like the crystal the best! The baking soda ones burned me. Toms is okay, but feel like I can smell bo. I like just coconut oil too.
  • Options

I love the crystal. I did have to reapply halfway through the day for the first week or so, but now it works better than any other deodorant I've used, and there is no residue.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Picture114b Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Kiss My Face Liquid Rock.

Soapwalla cream deodorant from Etsy (smells great, works great, but made me break out).

• Options
    **lurker**

I use a coconut oil/baking soda/arrow root/essential oil homemade deodorant.  While there is a few days of a detox phase like everyone said, you also have to consider one of the purposes of sweat.  Sweat releases toxins from your body and if with a natural deodorant you're still smelling, there's a very good possibility that you need to do a natural body detox because you have too many toxins and heavy metals stored in your body and that's the odor being produced when you sweat. 

TTC since Aug 2011. BFP #1 on 10/28/2011 EDD of 07/02/2012 Natural MC on 11/22/2012  BFP #2 on 10/28/2012  EDD of 7/13/13  Judah Ari born on 7/11/13.

I love my rainbow baby!

• Options
    I went out and bought a Crystal deodorant today based on everyone's recs. I'll try to remember to report back on how it works
    Married since June 2008

Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
    TTC Post Chemotherapy
    Unexplained Infertility

DH- SA Normal, Lap on 8/8/13
    BFP! 11/7/13 EDD 07/15/14 changed to 07/23/14 after first u/s

My Ovulation Chart

• Options

https://www.theeverythingsoapblog.com/2012/03/recipe-best-natural-deodorant.html

I'll preface this with: It's been chilly here since I've been wearing it so it hasn't had to stand up to Louisiana humidity yet .However, I made this last week and have really liked it so far. Very simple to make, smells fresh - not flowery, and I don't stink at the end of the day.

If making it isn't your thing, I think she sells it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

try one that's clay mineral-based. the one i have--the first and only clay deodorant i've tried, actually--is called ClayDry by Zion Health. i am very happy with it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've been using Dr. Hauschka for over a year now and LOVE it!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I use a liquid crystal roll on with lavender. I still sweat of course, but I don't think I stink. I try to wear clothes that don't show sweat.
  • Options

imageDar23:
    We have had the same problem finding one that works well. And we have tried A FEW. lol But I think we have maybe found one we are happy with, Bubble & Bee Organic 'Pit Putty' deodorant stick. We have been using it for a while now and think it is the best of all the ones we have tried.

Agreed! Pit Putty worked well for me (the one that looks like a solid stick, the gel stick looking one not so much). It is a little messy so be careful with darks/black clothing. On the slightly less expensive end of things I've found Naturally Fresh Deoderant Crystal roll on pleasant. Not as enduring as Pit Putty but one reapplication midday seems to work well. I like the lavender scented one.  

BabyFruit Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"