Military Families

New Military Wife and Mommy

DH is reinlisting beginning in January. He was active when we met but he was able to get out two years ago and went to school. Now he is reinlisting, we are married and have a 7 month old son. 

The time is coming up close and I realized I don't really know what to expect and I'm hoping to better prepare myself to make our lives a little easier.(Really, to make his home life a lot easier/less stressful) I was wondering if anyone had any website/blog/reading recommendations that I could read up on to get an idea of what to expect and how to handle certain situations. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank You  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: New Military Wife and Mommy

• Without knowing his MOS, I think it'll be hard to get information on day-to-day life. When DH and I were married, he was a calibrator. He never deployed because they only deployed one person every 6 months. Someone always volunteered. He was home every night by 5. 

When he re-enlisted, he changed MOS's to become a data networker. He deployed within 2 months of finishing his schooling. He is at Quantico now, so he is non-deployable. If he were still stationed in NC, he would be on a rotating deployment schedule. He works fairly regular hours, but he has traveled a lot, and he can work very long hours at times. Total 180 from when we first got married.

As far as the military lifestyle, I don't thin anything can really prepare you for it. One day, it can seem so predictable and mundane, and the next, a sudden deployment or PCS is thrown in there. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • There is an FAQ at the top of the page - there are a number of military-related websites on there.

I agree with PP - things can change really quickly, so it's hard to describe day-to-day. Expect the unexpected, and don't be surprised when something changes...like they decide to move you 6 months ahead of schedule to a place you weren't expecting to go.

The best advice I can give is to get connected with other wives as soon as you get to your new base. DH is not good about passing along information, and I have learned so much more just by hanging around other military wives. There should be classes or activities on base for you to get involved with, too. One of the bases where I am has a great Arts & Crafts center, and I met some great ladies at a class I took there. Every base is different. Or if you don't want to get involved on base, get involved in community stuff - I put DS in swim lessons when he was about 10 months old just to get out of the house. If you're a church-goer, find a church with other young families you can connect with. I've done two PCS moves since DH and I have been married, and both times, the first few months were pretty miserable because I didn't make the effort to get involved.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"