2nd Trimester
Options

Paneer (Indian food) during pregnancy?

So I have read about all the cheeses most Americans eat but we eat alot of ethnic food and one of my FAVORITES is Paneer. LIVESTRONG says it's okay but other sites I have read say it's not.

Does anyone know?!?!? 

Re: Paneer (Indian food) during pregnancy?

• Options
    I hope it's ok because I've been eating a lot of it! SO good!

• Options
    Mmmmm, now I am craving muteer paneer! I think it is just fine to eat it.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageLexiLupin:
    I'm pretty sure the FDA requires all US restaurants to serve pasteurized dairy. I would personally still eat paneer (I am an Indian food addict) and not worry. Could you ask a manager about it at your Indian restaurant of choice for peace of mind?

I don't think that's true though, I know the local Mexican places here serve unpasteurized Cotija (Or is it Cojita? I always forget).  

• Options

I eat it...had some last night actually! I wouldn't worry too much! 

• Options

imagebkbistro321:
    I hope it's ok because I've been eating a lot of it! SO good!

Same here! DH makes a lot of Indian food.

BabyFruit TickerLilypie Third Birthday tickers "You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the one person you can't live without."
  • Options
    Now I have to make DH take me for indian! I love mutter paneer!
    <leader of the pack small photo leaderofthepacksmall_zps19d110a4.jpg photo r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Paneer is absolutely fine.  To make it, the milk has to be boiled (at least 100 degrees Celsius) to curdling point and then the curds are skimmed off the top of the whey and squeezed together to make the cheese.  It is a very similar procedure to making ricotta cheese which is also safe to eat during pregnancy.   

The problem with brie and camembert is that the milk does not get to boiling --- you boil to 32 degrees Celsius --- and then you add in rennet to "start" the cheese process going.  Goat cheese is similar.  So, any cheese made by boiling milk --- such as mozzarella, ricotta, and paneer ---- are all pasteurized and safe to eat.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Oh, but that being said, many American grocery store versions of brie and camembert are made with pasteurized milk and not raw milk, meaning that they are also fine to eat!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"