3rd Trimester
Options

Husband traveling at 37 weeks

My husband may have to travel for two nights for business at the beginning of my 37th week.  Should I ask him to try to get out of it or would you be ok with it? 

Also there aren't any overnight flights that come through where we live so catching a flight in the middle of the night wouldn't be possible.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Husband traveling at 37 weeks

• Options
    I'd be nervous!  37 weeks is technically full term, isn't it?  I'd have him get out of it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'd ask my DH to get out of it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageIdani:
    I would have probably been ok with my first pregnancy but not this one. My first was very uneventful but this one I have been hospitalized three times and been having contractions for weeks. Although I would love two nights of the whole bed and remote to myself! It would also depend on how far he was traveling, is it a few hours, cross country or international? How quick he could get home would play a big factor as well.

It's about 4 hours total travel time but no direct flights from there to here.  

• Options
    I would be okay with it personally. If it was at 38+ weeks or for longer than just a couple of days, I would be more hesitant.
  • Options

I'm having the same issue here.. My DH works in the oil field and the crew he just got switched to travels (well more/farther than his last crew) and still works his 10 on/4 off schedule. He is 4 hours away right now and I want him closer to home the next few weeks until baby gets here. DH and I talked about it tonight on the phone.. He said when he gets back and has his days off next weekend he is going to talk to his supervisor about the situation and see if he can stay closer or what he can do until baby gets here (hopefully not travel). I guess the worse he can say is no. I don't mind 2 hours away but 4-5 is killing me. I've been an emotional wreck since he left on Monday afternoon.. I just texted him the I was this close >< to driving myself and the dog to come stay with him at the hotel they are staying at just to get a sense of relief and see him. 

My suggestion to you is to have him ask. Like I said the worse they can say is no.

I am sympathizing with you. Hang in there.

Nov 2012 BMB January Siggy Challenge
    Those Presedential Fitness Tests Were Torture

• Options
    My husband was just transferred into camp that is fly in/fly out. Plus the camp is 2 hours from the airport, the jobsite is another 2 hours from the camp. Talk about stressful since Im 38 weeks and we have a RCS set for the 16th. So I sympathize completely, it is very very stressful not knowing if he'd even make it back if I went into labor sooner.

So that being said, if your husband can avoid it then I suggest he do so. Just not worth the stress and headache of worrying.
  • Options
    His call, really. He'd know if it can damage his work. Discuss with him openly.
  • Options
    My DH travels for work, but there is no way I'd be ok with him being gone at 37 weeks.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DH also has to travel for work at 37 weeks (he is a nervous wreck about it). We asked my mom to come in for the weekend so that I wouldn't be alone just in case. Is it possible for you to have someone stay with you or a friend on call should you go into labor?
  • Options
    My husband works 2 1/2 hours from home m-th so is only home Friday-Sunday and will be in California for four nights ths coming week and I am 37 weeks...it's scary but if you have family close by then you should be ok :-) now a days I figure the drs can try and slow the labor....but I'm a c section anyway and just as long as he gets home the say she is born ill be ok...
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I'd have him get out of it if he can!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'd check with my OB at my 36 week appointment. If I was anywhere in the "could be several weeks yet" zone (3cm, 80%ef. or w/e) then I'd say go for it, as long as there was someone around that could help you get to the hospital should you go in to labor. 

EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • Options
    DH is an airline pilot base out of another state so I don't really have a choice. When he is out of town I plan on staying the night at my parents. 
  • Options

This is tough and I totally empathize.  My husband travels a lot for work and I've gotten used to it, but his last trip of my pregnancy really got to me.

He's traveling at 36.5 weeks, for 3 nights.  So I'll be 37 weeks when he gets home.  He has to drive himself directly from the airport to our breastfeeding class when he lands.

At first this really bothered me, but I've given in and am okay with it.  Yes, he could get out of it but it's a really good move career-wise, which means it's good for the whole family.  There are going to be times when he has to cut back and not do things for work because of family and I think we'll get by okay with this one.  I'm not intending to go into labor at before 37 weeks (I hope I don't eat my words on that!).

I know it's slightly risky, but we're basically 100% banking that he DOESN'T miss the birth of our first born.

Oh crap, typing that out made me start to freak out a little, again.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"