Baby Showers
Options

Opinions: I want to host a "Sprinkle" for a new baby boy

My son's Godmother is expecting her 2nd child, a boy. She has a 5 yo girl. I want to host a small (immediate family and close friends) party for her to welcome the coming of her new baby. NOT A SHOWER. NO REGISTRY.

A little background: she suffered from secondary infertility. She is currently in limbo awaiting a repeat pap smear as she has had 2 abnormal ones this pregnancy. She will most likely have a hysterectomy at the time of c-section. She is DEVASTATED as she wanted 4 children.

I want to come up with a very boy-ish theme and simply ask people to bring 1 item that fits the theme. Ex, if I host a cowboy party, bring an article of clothing, burp cloth, or toy that is appropriate for a baby that has something to do with cowboys/western.

I just want to find a way to make this baby's coming just as exciting as the first (as far as making Mom feel special again).

Is this appropriate or does it go against the ettiquette for 2nd "showers"? How could I word the invite to make sure no one is offended?

Re: Opinions: I want to host a "Sprinkle" for a new baby boy

• Options

Congratulations to your friend!!!  What an exciting time for her, and for the soon-to-be big sister.

Why not host a no-gifts event?  You can serve a cake, maybe have everyone write out a piece of advice (even advice for Big Sis!), do some cool hors d'ouerves, that kind of thing.  Maybe have everyone decorate a quilt square, onesie, or scrapbook page in the theme.

Believe me, the expectant Mom will feel very special and be very, very excited about this baby - party or not!

• Options

i think it's sweet of you to do this, especially since there were fertility issues.

although i'm not so sure about specifying something for people to bring. ?i wouldn't call it a "shower" or a "sprinkle," and i would simply reference that they're expecting a boy on the invitation. ?that will leave it up to the attendees as to whether to bring a gift. ?and i'm fairly certain that more often than not, they will.?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would just say on the invite that it is a "sprinkle party" and not suggest anything about what they should bring.  They will either bring something or not.  Have you thought about having the "sprinkle" or "shower" after the baby is born.  That way they get to see the baby and can congratulate the mom (and dad) at the same time.  That is what my oldest DD did and it was her first.  It worked out well (course they didn't know what sex the baby was before he was born).
  • Options

I'm hosting a sprinkle in about a month.  I think every baby deserves to be celebrated and so we're moving ahead!  (I know - controversial!)  Anyway - feel free to check out the invitation in my blog....it's about half way down the first page. :)

Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Apparently it's not poor ettiquette to have massive baby showers for 2+ babies. My friend is having 3 for her 2nd boy in 2 years. And a coworker is also having 3 showers for her 3rd boy (5th child). I roll my eyes at them. I'm old fashioned I guess and love the idea of your sprinkle!
  • Options
    imageSweetieP:

I'm hosting a sprinkle in about a month.  I think every baby deserves to be celebrated and so we're moving ahead!  (I know - controversial!)  Anyway - feel free to check out the invitation in my blog....it's about half way down the first page. :)

Thanks! LOVE the invite. Is a teddy bear themed party?! Cute ideas.

• Options
    I wouldn't specify what each guest should bring.  If I got an invite like that I probably wouldn't go. 
  • Options
    I'm unsure what the "sprinkle" means.  Is it to "sprinkle" the baby with love or the parents with congratulations?  If it is to sprinkle either one why would you not wait until the baby is born.  That way everyone will get to see the baby and since they will know the sex from the invite they will bring something appropriate for a boy.  I don't think asking people to bring something with a cowboy theme will work.  Some people just don't have the time to look for specific theme clothing and items.
  • Options

I have had 3 friends that had boys with their first and a girl second.  We threw them a "Pink Party".  There was no registry or real expectation but most people just brought some kind of cute pink thing for the baby.  You could do a "Blue Bash"....  I'm not familiar with the term sprinkle but I assume it is just a lower key shower. 

Either way, I think you are doing a nice thing for your friend.  Plus, you know your group of friends better than we do.  In our case, we all were excited about it and it was a fun way for the non-pregnant girls to get together and drink mimosas or just have fun with the mom to be.  If people are offended then they just shouldn't come. 

• Options
    i've heard of sip'n see's for the 2nd or so on baby. A small party held after the baby, normally done at tea time. Where guests come by with a small gift for the new baby and they get to meet the new baby. We are doing this for a friend who is having her 2nd child in January. her first is a year and a half.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"