August 2012 Moms

Talk to me about homemade baby food

SFM: talk to me about homemade baby food

I saved a couple of links you lovely ladies posted in a previous thread about making baby food. I know we are still a little ways off from that, but I had a few questions.

1] I have sooo much milk stashed in my freezer that I need to use; how far in advance can I make pured food to store? Can I freeze it?

2] if I'm using the BM in the food I'm making, do I put it in when I initially make it to store it? Or when I am getting ready to feed it to him?

3] is there a website anyone knows of that has this kind of general info?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Talk to me about homemade baby food

• ::waves hi::

I love making baby food!

1. Yes, you absolutely make some things in advance and freeze them. The length of time depends on the type of freezer you have at home. With a deep freezer, foods can be stored for several months in advance. With a standard refrigerator freezer combo, foods can be stored for a few months. Keep in mind though, stick to very basic foods until you know what your baby likes and what their stomach can tolerate. With BF babies, LLLI recommends starting with bananas and avocados and I have done that with both DD and DS1. Though, those two foods you cannot make ahead of time and freeze very well haha!

2. You don't add your breastmilk until after it's thawed. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to be sure the food's consistency was thin enough for LO.

3. I think the kellymom website has some links regarding homemade baby food guidelines, but it's been awhile since I've looked...

HTH anf GL!!

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• you can also try here

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/

they have some basic info, and some great recipies.

10/15/10 HPT+ 10/16/10 +blood test! missed m/c found at 17w, gone at aprox 14w., D&C
    4/26/11 HPT+ 4/28/11 +Blood test! HCG 67 5/24/11 Blighted Ovum.
    6/11-11/11 Non ovulatory cycles
    12/18/11 HPT+ 12/20/11 +Blood Test HCG 165 12/27/11 Beta test HCG 6411
    12/29/11 Beta 11264 1/30/11 Wiggler w/ HB 160+
    Grow Baby Grow!!!! Please be our rainbow!
    Rainbow Born 8/22, so in love with our little girl!
    Valentines
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker</a
  • Loading the player...
  • We used wholesomebabyfood too. We already have a ton frozen because my mom and I used veggies and fruit from our gardens and her orchard. We made the food, froze it in ice cube trays and then when it was frozen popped out the cubes to store in labeled ziplock bags. We did apples, pears, nectarines, carrots, squash, and another veggies that I can't remember!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yup, I was also going to recommend wholesomebabyfood.com.  It was recommended to me.  I plan on doing homemade food for baby this time around!

Mom of 2 monkeys and 1 on the way!
           Christian12/06, Liam 08/12, Monkey #3 10/10 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I made all of DS1's baby food, and I loved it!  Can't wait to do it all again for DS2.  You can make pureed food and freeze it, but it depends on what food it is for the length of time that it will last.  I used to make a big batch of whatever, then freeze the leftovers in ice cube trays.  At night, I would toss a few cubes in the fridge to thaw for the next day's portion.  Super easy to make, and easy to combine foods for new flavors!

I didn't mix the BM until I was ready to feed it to him.  If I needed to add liquid to the veggies/fruits to puree them (I usually did), I added some of the leftover water that I'd used to steam them.  I guess you could add fresh BM, but I was using frozen, so I didn't want to thaw it, then refreeze.  If I accidently added too much milk when he was ready to eat, I used baby oatmeal to thicken it back up.

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/ is a fantastic website with tons of info about nutrition, what foods to use/not use, storage info, recipes, etc.  Highly recommend it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"