Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

How to wean from breastfeeding at night?

My LO still wakes up one to two times a night- how can I go about weaning him without too many tears? I tried cutting out a morning feeding this morning, and he was so cranky all morning, kept getting up into my lap and laying to nurse..:-( I finally nursed him. He is super attached to me, so I know its probably going to be tough. THanks for any advice!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How to wean from breastfeeding at night?

• BTW, he is almost 13 months
  • My suggestion is to have your DH take over the night wakes for a few nights. He will probably cry hard the first few nights but will get better.

i hope you get some good advise, because I'm in the same boat. My DH can't do it right now because of work. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Loading the player...
  • With my DS, I started night weaning by only offering one side.  I'd let him suck as long as normal, just not switch sides so he got less milk.  I also made sure he had a full tummy right before bed.  We did this for a while, then DH started getting up with him and giving a bottle (4 oz max) of breastmilk.  This whole transition took like 2-3 months, but he eventually stopped wanting to eat in the middle of the night.  He still wakes up, but it's just to be covered up, not to eat.  Good luck! 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A full tummy before bed is key. If you have to pump and offer the milk in a bottle before bed or use formula or milk that will work fine. DS is down to nursing before bed and before naps. But if he doesn't feel well he will ask to nurse. I usually try giving him a sippy cup of milk first and that usually works. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"