Trying to Get Pregnant

s/o early testing: wwyd

I just saw the early testing thread (BFPs at 9DPO) and it made me think of a question for the group.

Lets say you're someone who would want to tell DH right away (within a day) if you found out you were pregnant, and you'd want to do so in person. If you're going to be out of town (or DH will be) for a little while and you'd expect AF to show up during that time, would you test early, before leaving? Even if you were leaving town 12 DPO? 11? Or would you definitely wait until you got back, even if it was 17 or 18 DPO at that point and you know your luteal is < 14 days?

In other words, if you are someone who would normally wait until AF is missed to test, under what circumstances, if any, would you be willing to test early? If willing, how early would you test?

I'm always tempted to test early but chemical pregnancies are really common and I'd rather just get AF on time, thinking nothing happened, then get a positive test followed by AF a few days later from an early miscarriage.  

ETA: Thanks for all of the responses! Here's my info -- I am going to be out of town from what will likely be 13 DPO to 16 DPO. I am going to try to hold out and not test but we'll see. Also this would be my second pregnancy. Last time for a similar reason I had to test at 11 DPO and had a BFP then, but I also had some symptoms by then. If I have symptoms I might test before leaving this time, but phantom symptoms come to me really easily as well so it might just be best to wait. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: s/o early testing: wwyd

• Wait.  You'll never regret waiting to test, but the same can't be said for testing early.
  • If it was, say, 10 dpo and I was showing none of the usual 10 dpo AF signs (spotting), and DH was going to be gone for like over 4-5 days, I'd probably test.

ETA: I'm an early tester anyway.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Test early.  I am a POAS-aholic and buy lots of cheapies.  I need to know all the information available to me so I usually start testing at 10DPO.

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • If I knew that my H was going on a business trip then I would consider testing earlier than 18DPO. It is not uncommon for my H to be gone an entire month in another state. I want him to be there for the good news.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• "To each his own".

I've tested early before. I just don't want to do that anymore because of the continued disappointment. I would stil wait if DH was going to be out of town.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I've turned into a poas-aholic so I would test early. Not saying that's the best option though. :)
    Me 33, him 34
    Married in 2004
    Focused on TTC since 2010
    SA good/ ovary & vaginal u/s good- Not ovulating or having AF- trying aygestin
    Clomid try #1 9/2012 -BFN
    Clomid try #2 10/2012 -BFN
    Clomid try #3-5 BFN!
    Clomid #6 BFP!!! Due 12/24/13 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I only tested early with DD because I was having crazy symptoms. Got my BFP at 10 DPO. Had it not been for the clear as day symptoms I would have waited, so I say wait!
    BFP #1 : 05.08.11 : EDD : 01.16.12 : DOB : 01.15.12
    BFP #2 : 12.26.12 : EDD : 09.08.13 : DOB : 09.03.13
  • I'd wait. I tested early with my last cycles and ended up with a CP that I would have rather not known about. IMO.

• For the last 3 months, I've been an early tester. But it really gets disapointing to see the blank tests over and over again.

I'd say: wait! This way, when your husband will be back it will be more special ..

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"