August 2012 Moms

finally got the courage...

so proud to say i breastfed my baby in caribou today without a cover! haha, i know it seems ridiculous to brag about that, but i was so nervous to before today! i keep trying to remind myself of a quote i once read "anyone who is offended by breastfeeding is staring too long" lol

not saying that covers are bad or anything, but personally i hate using one. my baby doesn't like it, and i feel like i'm having a hot flash when my milk lets down. 

blighted ovum 5w3d 10/11
Aidan Russell 8/7/12
missed m/c 8w6d 11/1/13
Shane Ryan 8/25/14
imageimage

Re: finally got the courage...

• That's awesome. I like that saying.

I got a dirty look from a woman in her 60s for doing it. I just smiled back at her!

That saidI did use the cover this past weekend in front of my dad and FIL. Strangers can gawk all they like, but for some reason, I couldn't do it in front of them!
    TTC#1 since May 2011

BFP #1 June 2011 m/c@6wks

BFP #2 December 2011, EDD 8/21/12, born 7/21/12 at 35w4d

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 October 6, 2015. WHAT???

• Good for you! I'm way too uncoordinated to nurse under a cover and DS hates them anyway. I just figure, if somebody has a problem with it they can look away.

Edited for grammar.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagealileecam:
    That's awesome. I like that saying. I got a dirty look from a woman in her 60s for doing it. I just smiled back at her! That saidI did use the cover this past weekend in front of my dad and FIL. Strangers can gawk all they like, but for some reason, I couldn't do it in front of them!

ohh i can relate!! cannot bring myself to do it in front of family. friends, strangers, i don't care. but family, no thank you!! i think because they would be uncomfortable, which makes me uncomfortable. maybe next time around i'll feel differently, lol. 

blighted ovum 5w3d 10/11
    Aidan Russell 8/7/12
    missed m/c 8w6d 11/1/13
    Shane Ryan 8/25/14
    imageimage
  • imageklp28:
    Good for you! I'm way too uncoordinated to nurse under a cover and DS hates them anyway. I just figure, if somebody has a problem with it they can look away. Edited for grammar.

i think it draws more attention to try to use a cover, and you're struggling to see what you're doing when the baby keeps unlatching! 

blighted ovum 5w3d 10/11
    Aidan Russell 8/7/12
    missed m/c 8w6d 11/1/13
    Shane Ryan 8/25/14
    imageimage
  • Good for you!  I've been way braver this time around for some reason, and I've only had people say positive things.  Still makes me nervous though.

DH and I married 8 years. Mom of three, stepmom of one.

• It's not ridiculous to want to tell us. The more people NIP the more acceptable it will become. It's not like a nursing mother is some skank with her tatas hanging out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I took Oliver to a MLB game during the playoffs and I asked the attendant if there was somewhere I could nurse him. He was a really old man and he said "You can nurse him right here in your seat. You know it's legal in the state of Ohio. And anyone who doesn't like it can get over it or leave. You know, I know that the woman's body is nice to look at, but it also serves a far better purpose!!" LOL. It was so sweet (and totally awkward). I ended up nursing him in a room at the top of our section where people can cool down/warm up. There were people in there, but I just sat in the corner, without a cover, and fed him. Since then I've fed him at a McDonald's and in my car. I'm getting less "scared" about it!! :)

• Yay for you!! I am trying to work up the courage.  I know its one of those things that once you do it, its not bad, but getting there is hard!  LO HATES the cover.  He gets hot and is a curious little guy so I usually end up going to the bathroom.  My sister who BF all 3 of her kids was visiting me and she gave me the courage to nurse LO outside on a bench at the park.  I realized no one really knew or just avoided looking.  I agree with pp that using a cover makes it more obvious.

One day we will live in a society where mothers who breast feed are accepted as normal and ladies who show more boobs wearing their tank tops are regarded as the inappropriate ones! Until then, I will be hanging out in the bathroom stall ;) 

• Good for you! I wish I had your courage. I have NIP a few times, but it has been at parks and at the doctor's office, so it wasn't a big deal. Nursing at a coffee shop or a restaurant is my next big goal. I am going to think of that quote whenever I am afraid to NIP.

Baby #2
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I scared an old man off a bench in the city last weekend because there were no other empty benches and DS was desperate to eat. He left as soon as I lifted my shirt.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicPhotobucket
  • thanks for all your responses! you ladies are all so encouraging! :)

i hope one day its a culturally normal thing here in the US, instead of scantily clad women being the norm. 

blighted ovum 5w3d 10/11
    Aidan Russell 8/7/12
    missed m/c 8w6d 11/1/13
    Shane Ryan 8/25/14
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"