April 2013 Moms

Dinners that freeze well?

I'm looking for suggestions of meals that freeze well, that I can make ahead of time and keep in the freezer, and then easily pop in the oven to heat up. I'm no expert in the kitchen, and the only things I've frozen so far are chili and meat sauce. I also love slow cooking so if you have any suggestions for meals I can prep and freeze in a ziplock and then just pop in a slow cooker that you like, I'd appreciate those too! I have more free time on my hands now and figured I'd like to test out some recipes so that I can prep and freeze them before the baby comes. I imagine that once the baby comes I won't want to be cooking anything from scratch, but I want to make sure we're still eating healthy home cooked food.

TIA for your suggestions!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Dinners that freeze well?

• Lasagna, burritos
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Enchiladas freeze well. Mix up all of your ingredients (I use chicken, cheese, peppers, and sour cream), roll into tortillas, and stuff the pan. When you're ready to bake them, pour enchilada sauce on top and bake. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • You can freeze and reheat nearly any soup. Some of my favorites include Chicken Noodle soup, Creamy Chicken and Rice soup, Lentil soup, Butternut Squash soup, Chili, Black Bean soup, and Potato Leek soup.

Allrecipes.com has lots of great soup recipes.

• imageRussianMommy:
    Lasagna, burritos

Anything Italian on Mexican should freeze well.  I would also stock up on hamburgers, bread (freezes great), and stuff from Stouffers you don't like to cook. 

image BabyFetus Ticker
  • Check Pintrest! They have a TON of freezer meals. Allot that you can prepare something like 24 meals in 4 hours and stuff like that. I have a bool called Fix, Freeze, Feast. I forget who it is by but it is all sorts of entr?es and such. I LOVE freezing this way!! When meat goes on sale I pick up a bunch open my book, prepare a bunch of meals throw it in the freezer and days I feel crappy, or run out of time I pull something out and throw it in the oven. Or if I have enough forethought I have a bunch of Crockpot stuff preped too
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageKrisM86:
    You can freeze and reheat nearly any soup. Some of my favorites include Chicken Noodle soup, Creamy Chicken and Rice soup, Lentil soup, Butternut Squash soup, Chili, Black Bean soup, and Potato Leek soup. Allrecipes.com has lots of great soup recipes.

If you freeze soup, do it in muffin tins and then once frozen you can pop them out and put in Ziplocc bags, and take out one or 2 "pucks" and make an individual serving! Works great for young children as well!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Lasagna, casseroles, hashbrown casserole, pot pies
  • imageTrish&Pete07:

If you freeze soup, do it in muffin tins and then once frozen you can pop them out and put in Ziplocc bags, and take out one or 2 "pucks" and make an individual serving! Works great for young children as well!! 

Genius. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • French dip sandwiches are a favorite around here. I throw a chuck roast in the crock pot for 8 hours with a can of french onion soup, a beer and water to cover. Shred, freeze in portions and then reheat!
  • I make what I call Poppyseed Chicken Casserole. It will freeze well.

1 lb cooked and shredded chicken, 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup, 1 cup Sour Cream, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I use extra sharp), Poultry seasoning and salt & pepper to taste. Mix all together then freeze in a dish.

When ready to eat, crumble about 3/4 or a sleeve of Ritz Crackers into 1/2 stick melted butter. Pour over the top of the casserole and top with poppyseeds. Then bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

I never said it was healthy Wink But it's MH's favorite.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

PitaPata Dog tickers

• imageGeorgiaGirl1230:

I make what I call Poppyseed Chicken Casserole. It will freeze well.

1 lb cooked and shredded chicken, 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup, 1 cup Sour Cream, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I use extra sharp), Poultry seasoning and salt & pepper to taste. Mix all together then freeze in a dish.

When ready to eat, crumble about 3/4 or a sleeve of Ritz Crackers into 1/2 stick melted butter. Pour over the top of the casserole and top with poppyseeds. Then bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

I never said it was healthy Wink But it's MH's favorite.

You had me at sour cream. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've recommended this one a few times here - I suggest having a friend come over and doing it together, it is a lot of fun.  https://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/plump-pea-dumplings-recipe.html

You can make other fillings for them and freeze them the same way.

https://www.annies-eats.com/ has a ton of great freezer meals too.

BFP #1: 08/17/2012  DD1 born 05/01/2013

BFP #2: 07/31/2015  M/C 09/23/2015 (11.5 weeks)

BFP #3: 12/16/2015 DD2 born 8/27/2016
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"