TTC After a Loss
Options

AMA Ladies

Okay, I'm new to this board but I am not new to TTC.

I am 40 years old and have probably 60 plus cycles (from 28 to 34yrs old) of BFNs prior to getting my surprise BFP in June (was told absolutely could not conceive after age of 34).

I honestly do not believe I will get another BFP. The odds are so stacked against me it is ridiculous. But here I am because, one BFP means I can get another. It is possibly the worst type of hope someone can have.

So, to my fellow AMA TTCALers - how are you doing? I just wanted to commiserate and say hello.  

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: AMA Ladies

• Options

If I may ask, what made them so sure that you "absolutely could not conceive after age 34"?

I am 39 and will be picking up my RE referral in a couple of weeks. I feel like every BFN cycle brings me that much closer to the end of a dream. 

I'm not sure if you have checked out the TTC After 35 board. I lurked a bit, but at the time, it didn't seem like a good fit. Many of the ladies there are seeing an Re and I didn't feel like I could contribute.

Wishing you the best of luck in your journey! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm sorry for your loss and welcome to the board. I turned 42 yesterday, and was well into the AMA age bracket when I had DS (38). Why did they tell you that you absolutely could not conceive after 34? Have you and/or DH had any testing done?

BFP 1/19/12 No heartbeat at 7w4d 3rd dose Cytotec 3/1/12
    *PGAL/PAL Welcome*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic 

My Ovulation Chart

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I was just thinking about this earlier today!

I lurk more than post b/c I hate the mobile version and I don't like to post from work (although I do occasionally). 

We didn't start really trying til March, got the BFP at the end of May.   Was diagnosed with HUGE fibroids the same night we found out about the m/c. That and my thyroid is completely out of whack!    So... luckily the fibroids should be no big deal (they are the kind that hang out on the outside of the uterus, and should not impinge on the uterus at all).  and the thyroid is hopefully getting under control.

So...   here I am on TTC cycle #3 after m/c.  

TTC since Feb 2012. Me: 39, DH: 37
    BFP #1 5/27/12- m/c 7/9/12 @ 10w2d (cytotec induced @11w).
    Fibroids, Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism
    BFP #2 11/18/12  EDD 7/27/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

At the time (I was 32), I had massive amounts of testing.  I have endo, had one ovary removed, and had scar tissue on the remaining ovary. My RE felt that I had poor egg quality and that the quality would decrease even more after 34. This was after a failed IVF round (on implantation day the RE told me I should look at getting a puppy - the puppy is the lab in my siggy).  My ex-H had fertility issues (we divorced 6 years ago). 

Changes since then - I got married last year. My DH has a son from a prior marriage and now Zachary. He has had no testing done. FX that my RE was incredibly wrong about what was going on with me. If we do not get a BFP in the next six months, then my OB will look at what is going on. 

• Options
    imagedensquared:

If I may ask, what made them so sure that you "absolutely could not conceive after age 34"?

I am 39 and will be picking up my RE referral in a couple of weeks. I feel like every BFN cycle brings me that much closer to the end of a dream. 

I'm not sure if you have checked out the TTC After 35 board. I lurked a bit, but at the time, it didn't seem like a good fit. Many of the ladies there are seeing an Re and I didn't feel like I could contribute.

Wishing you the best of luck in your journey! 

I understand what you mean about the TTC After 35 board - it just does not feel right. I'm not seeing an RE now and not sure if I ever will see one again. 

I absolutely understand what you mean about each BFN bringing you down.  One of your other posts (about how you don't think you will ever get a BFP) actually inspired me to put up this thread.  

• Options
    imagekiki4:

I'm sorry for your loss and welcome to the board. I turned 42 yesterday, and was well into the AMA age bracket when I had DS (38). Why did they tell you that you absolutely could not conceive after 34? Have you and/or DH had any testing done?

I'm in AZ also! My SIL had her first at 39 and her second at 42. FX that you get a BFP soon. 

• Options
    imagebabystoli:

I was just thinking about this earlier today!

I lurk more than post b/c I hate the mobile version and I don't like to post from work (although I do occasionally). 

We didn't start really trying til March, got the BFP at the end of May.   Was diagnosed with HUGE fibroids the same night we found out about the m/c. That and my thyroid is completely out of whack!    So... luckily the fibroids should be no big deal (they are the kind that hang out on the outside of the uterus, and should not impinge on the uterus at all).  and the thyroid is hopefully getting under control.

So...   here I am on TTC cycle #3 after m/c.  

I'm glad the fibroids should not be a big deal and I hope they get your thyroid levels figured out. 

• Options
    imagebuggirl72:

At the time (I was 32), I had massive amounts of testing.  I have endo, had one ovary removed, and had scar tissue on the remaining ovary. My RE felt that I had poor egg quality and that the quality would decrease even more after 34. This was after a failed IVF round (on implantation day the RE told me I should look at getting a puppy - the puppy is the lab in my siggy).  My ex-H had fertility issues (we divorced 6 years ago). 

Changes since then - I got married last year. My DH has a son from a prior marriage and now Zachary. He has had no testing done. FX that my RE was incredibly wrong about what was going on with me. If we do not get a BFP in the next six months, then my OB will look at what is going on. 

wow! That is a lot to deal with at such a young age-and kind of a harsh comment about the puppy. I hope that with your new hubby you are able to get your rainbow. It sounds like it will be quite a journey, I wish you nothing but the best. 

• Options
    imagebuggirl72:
    imagekiki4:

I'm in AZ also! My SIL had her first at 39 and her second at 42. FX that you get a BFP soon. 

Where in AZ? And OMG, your old RE needs to be b!tch slapped! I'm currently doing medicated cycles...this one seems to have been a bust, as I have not O'd yet. If AF hasn't shown by Monday, I call for more provera to start my next cycle and we are increasing the clomid to 100 mg. When we did my CD3 blood work last cycle, my FSH came in really high, so I'm having a hard time thinking positively...it's hard when you want something so bad.

BFP 1/19/12 No heartbeat at 7w4d 3rd dose Cytotec 3/1/12
    *PGAL/PAL Welcome*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic 

My Ovulation Chart

• Options

Thanks Rosie - If in six months we do not have a BFP then we will see about an RE.  The big hang-up on that will be my DH. Even though we are in TTC mode he is very "if it happens it happens". I need to make sure he is 100% on board with that type of TTC experience. 

And no, the RE did not test AMH levels (I don't think he did). He really made his diagnosis off of one egg retrieval cycle and whatever he saw in my levels then. My current OB is of the opinion that I am healthy and as far as she is concerned there is no reason I cannot become pregnant. 

• Options
    imagebuggirl72:
    Thanks Rosie If in six months we do not have a BFP then we will see about an RE. nbsp;The big hangup on that will be my DH. Even though we are in TTC mode he is very "if it happens it happens". I need to make sure he is 100 on board with that type of TTC
    experience.nbsp;And no, the
    RE did not test AMH levels I don't
    think he did. He really made his
    diagnosis off of one egg retrieval cycle
    and whatever he saw in my levels
    then. My current OB is of the opinion
    that I am healthy and as far as she is
    concerned there is no reason I cannot
    become pregnant.nbsp;

My DH had the same attitude. We talked about it a lot, he eventually agreed to getting the referral and seeing what the next steps are. We have agreed to take it one step at a time, if it gets to a point where we are uncomfortable with the next step, we back off. I think what finally got him is the realization that if we let things just happen without medical intervention, we would not have many of the people we know and love.

If you don't get your BFP, maybe YH will have a change of heart. Six months is a long time.
  • Options

I got my first BFP in December, and I turned AMA the next day.  I've been under the care of an RE since September 2011. 

I agree with Rosie in may looking into getting your AMH levels checked.  Your OB could probably check it for you.  If you do decide to go back to an RE, I would look at finding a different one.  I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.  I truly love my RE and all of her staff.  They have been a wonderful support for us. 

TTC started Oct '10
    Me: AMA w/RSD, atypical PCOS w/IR, LPD and High Prolactin. Controlled HP post-loss.
    DH: Low-T and borderline morph
    18 cycles, 3 medicated w/RE to get to a BFP!
    EDD 9/7/12, Saw HB @7w3d,missed m/c 1/30 @8w3d, d&c 2/8
    11 AL cycles, 9 medicated/IUI cycles. All BFFN!
    Moving forward with IVF
    BFP#2 our little cycle break surprise on AL cycle 12! EDD 10/27/13
    Beta #1: 41 Beta #2: 398; perfect u/s 3/11 hb @133bpm
    u/s 3/25 one perfect hb @183 bpm, adjusted EDD 10/23/13
    MaterniT21 and carrier screens normal. It's a girl!!!
    Severe Pre-E, HFpEF, PE, AMA & IF= OAD

imageimageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    All IF/AL Welcome!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"