December 2012 Moms

XP from Breastfeeding - Opinions on Brand of Breast Pump Please?

I'm a FTM and I plan to exclusively breast feed for at least 6 months - but my long term goal is 12 months :). My shower was over the weekend and I was gifted a Playtex Double Electric Breast Pump (this same one: https://www.amazon.com/Playtex-Nurser-Double-Electric-Breast/dp/B001LUDRFI ). 

I was planning on using my friend's old Medela as she has just recently weaned her LO, (and just replace the tubing) and was so floored when my Aunt gifted me with this one.  I am very appreciative of her thoughtful gesture but saw mixed reviews on the pump. 

Have any of you ladies used this pump? What were the pros and cons you found with it?

Many thanks in advance for your advice and input!

Re: XP from Breastfeeding - Opinions on Brand of Breast Pump Please?

• Maybe this is irrelevant as I did not rely on pumping as a SAHM, so I used a manual pump as needed... but mine was a Medela, and I had all sorts of problems with it. Not enough to get me to buy a different one to get me through 2013, but the componentry itself seems cheaply designed. I don't know how much that would cross over to the electric. Breast-shield wise though, which does translate I believe, I wasn't too happy after my nipples eventually shrank to normal size. I had to search on-line for one that would fit me, vs. the standard sizes carried in stores. Otherwise it was just pulling my nipple in all the way into the bottom, where then nothing would happen. Also the soft-sided shields became crumpled in over time, which is harder to get a good seal with. Maybe this was also due to poor fit after shrinkage had occurred.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I would try to maybe exchange this pump for an Ameda pump. I would never use a used Medela pump. Since all consumer grade Medela pumps are open system pumps. So milk and stuff get inside the pump though you don't visibly see it. Which usually causes cross contamination or mold in the internal membrane of the pump. So, yeah. No to the Medela. I would either try the pump you have gotten or see if you can exchange for an Ameda or Hygenia.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a Medela PISA and have had no problems with it. I BF and pumped 3x per day at work) for 13 months. Yes, the Medela is an open system (unless you are renting a hospital grade Symphony). It is extremely unlikely that milk would actually back up through the tubing, and then into the motor without you realizing it, however, it theoretically could happpen. Medela pumps are not meant to be shared between users, so the open system is not a huge deal. Also, the pump motor itself, which was fine and never crapped out or slowed down on me in my 13 months of use, would probably become less and less effective over time if used by multiple users - thus the non-issue of having an open system. I personally would not purchase or use a used breast pump (unless it was hospital grade), whether an open or closed system, because of the motor is designed for one consumer, rather than multiple users with extensive use.

That said, I have never used, nor am I very familiar with, any pump other than the Medela. The LC at my hospital recommends both Ameda and Medela, so whichever you are most comfortable with is what I would go with. I purchased my Medela because I needed a reliable pump and the nursing moms I know all had Medelas and had great successes with their pumps, plus Medela's customer service is awesome. GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"