Parenting

s/o holidays & dc, my dcp is Muslim

She acknowledges most Christian holidays. I wasn't there last Christmas but a friend said she sent home a Christmas gift for her boy. They did Easter crafts at Easter and are doing Halloween crafts this month. She is closed for a week or two at Christmas (I guess she finds it works best to take her holidays then with most parents' schedules). I'd like to get her a Christmas gift. Does it matter that she's Muslim? I don't think so, but maybe someone can shed some light.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: s/o holidays & dc, my dcp is Muslim

• I would give it to her as more of a thank you gift instead of a Christmas gift.  I have no idea though.  It sounds like she won't be offended if she does holiday stuff with the kids.

image'>image

• There wouldn't be anything inherently Christmas-y about it. Ella, I was even going to call it a thank you gift.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Is she closed for Christmas or Ramadan?
    Not sure the gift giving traditions for Ramadan, but a gift for her holiday would be respectful...
    ETA: Ramadan fell in July this year. I know a lot of times they seem to be together .
    Anyway, I think a Holiday gift would be nice. Like wouldn't give her a card that said, "merry Christmas" but who doesn't like gifts, right?!
  • My dcp is also Muslim and last year I gave her a happy holidays card and a gift certificate to a local restaurant. 

She's closed for a few days over Christmas and does Christmas activities with the kids so I don't think she gives receiving a gift a second thought.  

• I'd still give her a nice gift, just not call it Christmas.  Our good friends are Muslim and I made the mistake last year of not sending them a Christmas card b/c I thought it might offend.  I then went over to their house and saw half the door covered with Christmas cards they'd received.  Doh!  (And they're getting a card this year.)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If she sends home Christmas gifts, then she would probably not be offended taking them to. Just nothing Jesus-y.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• How about just getting her a holiday gift unless you know for a fact that she celebrates Christmas.  I think you can never go wrong giving a gift to someone but if that person doesn't celebrate the holiday and you know that, why call it that.  I know, its only a name and all but some people do take offense.  With teachers, I always tended to go on the being careful to not offend side - wrote happy holidays for example if I didn't know for certain what holidays they celebrated.  We had a teacher at our daycare who did not believe in Halloween and I never wanted to offend her - I have no clue what other holidays she did or did not celebrate - I just knew about Halloween as we had a discussion about it the one year she had one of my kids during the holiday.  She typically took the day off of work but was at work that year.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"