April 2012 Moms

If your pedi is concerned about LO's weight

What are you doing to increase caloric intake?  Mike is BF, and we started solids a few weeks ago.  I literally can not BF him anymore than I already do, unless I start waking him up at night (so not going to happen!).  I nurse twice in the morning, he gets 2-3 bottles at DC (he rarely finishes 4oz, so adding to those won't help), and he nurses twice in the evening.  His pedi recommended to add ground up chicken and butter to his oatmeal.  I'm not sure what else I can do?  He was in the 25% and now is in the 10%, so she was concerned that he's not gaining enough, but does not want to suggest adding formula, since I have a good supply.  Any other ideas?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: If your pedi is concerned about LO's weight

• my LO is a slow gainer but I now EP so I know how much he is getting

it makes me feel better to know how much he's drinking and realizing that he just has a quick metabolism. When I nursed he didn't get as much as it seems

• Try some avocado. I used to water it down a bit with some EBM.
  • Loading the player...
  • Has he started crawling? That could be why he dropped, just more active.
    I would do avacado as well, healthy fat. Bm has more calories than solids, maybe on the weekends fit a extra or two Bf in.

DS1 9.24.2010      DS2 4.18.2012        DS3 12.15.2013

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (fyXz)

Lilypie - (28Zf)

• DS was in the 75% and now dropped below 50% he is still healthy, my pedi said to but butter in his veggies...which I am totally ignoring. I don't think it really means anything as long as he is healthy. DS also gets 4-5 6 oz bottles a day and has 1 MOTN feeding of 4 oz. ...he is 16 lbs and 28 1/4 inches. He is healthy I'm not putting butter in his veggies!
    BabyName Ticker}
  • imageokate0213:
    Has he started crawling? That could be why he dropped, just more active. I would do avacado as well, healthy fat. Bm has more calories than solids, maybe on the weekends fit a extra or two Bf in.

Not crawling yet, just rolling all over the place.  I was thinking of the avocado, but DS1 hated it, so hopefully DS2 will like it and can get some healthy calories in him!  Good idea with the extra nursing sessions, but I have tried that before with him just turning his head away.  Hopefully I can get his weight up soon!

• LO is still in the 5% for weight, but her Dr isn't concerned as long as she's gaining weight. She's been on formula since 4 months. Right now she takes 4-5 7 oz bottles per day. She's been eating purees once a day, too. We are just adding a second time for purees. I think I'll try avacado, too! 
  • 10 percent is still fine though.

I haven't had Matilda's six month yet but at her 4 month she was still the same for height (90th %) but for weight had dropped for 80th to 60th I think. I wouldn't be surprised if she's even less on the % chart now, she just isn't a chubby baby.

I feel like if you have a good supply and he has no medical issue, then he's simply eating as much as he wants/needs.

I have no issue giving her butter though... not sure what the concern is regarding that. Babies need fat in their diets. I have added organic butter to her squash puree. If I am roasting veg for her I add olive oil. Also when I give her yogurt it is always whole milk plain yogurt, not low fat.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"