October 2012 Moms

s/o pumping - where do you find the time?

s/o pumping - where do you find the time? Specifically, where do you find the time if you are nearly exclusively BFing and rarely/never giving bottles.

Maybe I just have an unusually demanding baby, but I read all these posts about pumping 20 minutes one hour after the first morning feeding and I am wondering how you do it. In the mornings, DD wants to be entertained the entire time. I can wear her and get stuff done around the house (sometimes), but there is no time I can pump most days because she is on my person or otherwise wants to be with me. She occasionally will nap an hour. I could pump during this time on weekends when DH is around, I suppose.

Just in general I can't see how those with older babies are pumping so often if they are also nursing. Do your babies nap constantly? Entertain themselves? Or maybe they are just quick nursers - DD normally still takes at least 30 minutes to nurse and she nurses every 2 hours... 

I am jealous but I am also curious. 

DD 9/15/12

Re: s/o pumping - where do you find the time?

• I have had the same problem if you until now. This morning I managed to pump for about 20 minutes after DS had gone down for his morning nap. I only got 1 oz but I figure that's pretty good for my first try.

DS woke up about 45 minutes after I pumped and I still had plenty of milk for him. Finding time to pump has gotten easier now that his naps are becoming more consistent
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am having problems with this too. The only time I can pump is if LO goes right to sleep after a feeding or if my husband can take him so I can pump.
  • Loading the player...
  • DS is only 9 days old so he's not as awake as your little one but I pump after nursing in the morning because he naps and then again afte he goes down at night. I have a huge supply so I usually get 6 oz at each pumping. Also he only wakes once a night so if I dont pump before bed I'll really regret it in the morning!

I would maybe try and work the night time pump into your routine if you cant in the mornings.

• She normally only has one consistent nap each day - but it is in the afternoon when my production is low.

Oh well - I'm trying to focus on the positive that at least I have enough milk to sustain her each day, even if I am not getting "extra." 

DD 9/15/12
  • imageBecky2ann:
    I have the same issue. My mom was here when I started so she cuddled baby after first morning feed. Now I've started doing it after our 3 AM feed once she goes back down. I get a good amount but am sooooo tired. Thinking of trying at night after our last feed unfortunately the schedule isn't as consistent and not sure how my supply will be.

Yeah she often has a night wake around 4 AM but the thought of getting up at 5 AM to pump when she'll be up for the day at 7-8... not appealing. I guess I want to have my cake (sleep) and eat it too (pump).

I guess if we have to supplement a little when I go back to work it won't be the worst thing ever. 

DD 9/15/12
  • I've only pumped twice so far, but one time DS was napping.  The other time I put him in the bouncer right in front of me.  Whenever he started to fuss, I'd bounce him with my foot.  By the end of 15 minutes we were both ready to be done with the pumping thing.  I'm just very committed to getting in the pumping session because I have this feeling that my supply will take a while to build up to me being able to pump what he drinks while at daycare when I go back to work.  So I want a good sized stash to sustain us just in case my feeling is right.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• MH gives C a bottle for her first feed (the first feed when we are up for the day) while I pump. Then I offer her the breast to top off

ETA: parenthesis, stupid Bump mobile.

• I have a madela hand pump, it is pretty small so I am able to pump the side Jovanni isn't feeding on during our first morning feeding(6am) This is usually when he stays awake for an hour so if I need to I place him in the bouncer or lay him infront of me and talk to him while I pump.

• I think I am going to try to build in a pump during her afternoon nap and right before bed until the morning works for us. I just tried this and got 2 ounces, which is good for me. That would allow me to build a modest stash in the next 5.5 weeks.

Thanks for the input. 

DD 9/15/12
  • W eats every hour and a half during the day but every 3 hours at night I just pump after his first night time feeding. I get 5 oz easy in 10 mins. The one blessing of over supply and forceful letdown. I now have a 50 oz freezer supply and I have only been pumping 7 days the first couple days I got 10 oz 5 from each side. But with a tot and baby night time pumping is sooooo much better time wise.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I do it after his morning session around 5am. Then again after he goes to work. This will work when I go back to work because its around the time I'm getting up for work and getting home from work. I doubt ill be able to pump when I'm at work more than once so I'm hoping by picking those two times ill be able to keep my stash up.

I would do the swing or bouncer or even just on the couch next to you and make faces etc with her. That and get a pumping bra so you can be hands free. I set that stuff up before bed and I've fallen asleep while pumping before so kinda helps with being tired.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"