Baby Names

What would you do?

My baby is going to have a hyphenated last name, and it will probably be a mouthful (both names are 2 syllable, and one is easy to misspell). The more I think about it, the more I want to use my last name as his/her middle name instead of hyphenating. What do you all think? And if we go with hyphenating, should I leave out the middle name altogether?

FYI, the reason I want to go with a hyphenated last name is because my partner and I are not married, and if we ever do get married, I am going to keep my last name. It doesn't seem fair to me that the baby will get either my name or his name since we both were involved in it's creation.

Anyway, let me know what you would do, and don't be afraid to be brutally honest...I'm not overly sensitive. 

griffin

Re: What would you do?

• My personal opinion is hyphenated names are complicated, so I would use your last name as the middle name.
    BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would make your last name his middle name over hyphenating. 
    Lots of love to my BFPB, Squishy622 <3

photo 544b4365-b9ee-4805-ba08-f19896d25dae_zpsd8a0debb.jpgphoto ed61c23b-2bf9-4622-b870-072ac0970775_zpsa90b2a73.jpg

• Loading the player...
  • I agree hyphenated names are complicated. I'd either use your's as the middle name and his as the last, or the other way around. If you ever get married names can be changed (including his to yours and the baby's to whichever).
  • Maybe I'm in the minority but I'd use your partner's last name as a middle name and use your name as the last name.
    Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Doesn't seem fair that the LO should have to have a huge hyphenated name to write out the rest of his/her life. Sorry, hyphenated names drive me insane. Just my two cents.

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• I agree with using his last name as the middle name and you and the baby sharing a last name. I'm very traditional, but I personally would want to share a last name with my baby not a middle name.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageJoy2611:

I think that if you are going to hyphenate the names then you should skip the middle name.  I grew up with two siblings who were FirstName MiddleName LastName1-LastName2.  We used to joke about their names, say them quickly, and just all around poke fun at the ridiculous list of words that encompassed their names. (I've always secretly wondered what happened when they each married other people - did it become a three last name-hypenated situation?  When does it end??)

My personal vote would be to make your last name their middle name.  They can carry it along without the pressure of always using it. 

I am married but did not take my husband's last name.  I felt strongly that my name was given to me for life.  When we have children, they will receive his last name and I openly admit that it makes me sad.  But, on every trip, you can't bring absolutely everything you want before you're too burdened down.  We're picking middle names that honor specific family members and ensuring that the child will have a great relationship with both families.  That's enough for me.

Everything you said is exactly how I feel. I also wonder if I am setting my little squirt up for the endless explanation to his/her classmates about why mommy just HAD to include her name because she a crazy feminist or why their middle name is so weird. But on the other hand, I don't want to just give squirt one last name or the other and then have to explain later that we left mommy or daddy off because it was just easier. I am so glad that I still have a while to think about it. 

griffin
  • imagejobiann:
    Doesn't seem fair that the LO should have to have a huge hyphenated name to write out the rest of his/her life. Sorry, hyphenated names drive me insane. Just my two cents.

This is exactly what I'm questioning.. Is it fair to saddle my kid with a name that he/she will have to explain or risk ridicule for? But at the same time is it fair to leave out my name or my partner's name? I don't want my kid coming to me one day asking why I have a different last name than everyone else, or why Dad has a different last name than everyone else.

I keep thinking this would be so much easier if I was more traditional or conservative.  :/

griffin
  • imagekayjay10:
    My personal opinion is hyphenated names are complicated, so I would use your last name as the middle name.

This doesn't always work... my last name is a very obvious female first name... I will not be giving it to my son as a middle name just to avoid hyphenating.

That being said, I'm also not planning to hyphenate out last names for our son, I will simply have a different last name than my family.  Who knows maybe down the line we'll make things legit and I'll change my last name.

IMO, there is no need to exclude a middle name. how often to you get called by your entire name.  I only have a first, middle and last name and its 9 sylabels, but never was a problem.

*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • Kids having different last names from one of their parents isn't uncommon these days.  I really wouldn't stress over "what if he/she comes to me one day and asks about it?".  Your child will hardly be the only one in this situation.

That being said - I would make one of your last names the middle name.  I don't care which one, but I would NOT hypenate.  I fully understand your reasons why you want to - but really, you're saddling your kid w/ a long complicated name because of YOUR issues w/ the whole naming thing. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Thank you all so much for your input! You have definitely given me a lot to think about. I'll check back later to see if anyone else responds, but for now I have to go take care of some car maintenance.

Thanks again! 

griffin
  • Which parent is going to be doing the bulk of doctor appoinntments, school things, etc? I'd use that parent's last name, and then the other last name as a mn or  second mn. It's kind of annoying to have a different ln from your child, imo. DH and I got married after DD1 was born, and I didn't get around to changing my name right away, but it has definitely been easier at doctor's offices since I changed my name to hers and DH's.

• I would give the baby your last name as its middle name, or as PPs suggested, use your partner's last name as the middle name and give the baby your surname.  I am not a big fan of hyphenation - while I understand why people do it, it is awkward, and your child can't realistically make the same decision you made when he/she has children.

FWIW my maiden name is DS's middle name - and mine as well.  And DD's first name is my mom's maiden name.  This has always been enough for me to feel like I've maintained my connection to my lifelong identity and our kids' names reflect both parents' families as well.  But everyone has different feelings about that sort of thing.

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • You're not married so the baby gets your last name. I do a lot of genealogy and that is the correct etiquette/tradition. If you get married it's easy to change the last name. If he wants the baby to have his last name, he should marry you before you have the baby.

other than that, I love mother's maiden names as children's middle names. 

good luck! 

Mother of  Sable Rene' & Clifton Michael
    Blog    Names
  • I have a hyphenated name, and I hate it (even though it was my choice, post-marriage, hah), so I didn't give my DS one. My thought is to just give your (or your partner's) LN as the MN, because it's a lot easier and less of a headache. And you don't have to worry about them having 4 names or something down the road if they marry and want to hyphenate again or something. ;)
  • I don't have much to say that's different from what's already been said, but I wanted to throw in there that I know a child with FN Arabic Last Name-Hispanic Last Name.  It's definitely a mouthful, and I feel a little bad for him.  BUT I think that whatever you two agree with is what you should do.  I do like the idea of one partner's ln being the child's mn and the other being the child's ln.
  • imageEastCoastBride:

Kids having different last names from one of their parents isn't uncommon these days.  I really wouldn't stress over "what if he/she comes to me one day and asks about it?".  Your child will hardly be the only one in this situation.

That being said - I would make one of your last names the middle name.  I don't care which one, but I would NOT hypenate.  I fully understand your reasons why you want to - but really, you're saddling your kid w/ a long complicated name because of YOUR issues w/ the whole naming thing. 

This, and also - so what if your child does come and ask you this? Explain it! It's not like it's a dirty secret or an embarrassing conversation, and it could be a great opportunity to talk about all the different shapes families can take.  

FKA mimi4347: diaper rash magician and unofficial expert on excrement
    photo fdcd1f14-730b-4ea3-9fd5-37c8a5575512_zps6b3ccb11.jpgphoto a71807cf-a0c7-4c71-807b-bc4577b61b83_zps4eece2a6.jpg
    This kid may not have a lot of bowel, but he has plenty of guts! 
    DS born at 34 weeks with (surprise!) gastroschisis turned short bowel syndrome.
    131 days in the NICU, 7 trips to the OR, G-button, daily TPN....
    We are impatiently awaiting the day we can say goodbye to his girlfriend Ivy for good.
  • imagemimi4347:
    imageEastCoastBride:

Kids having different last names from one of their parents isn't uncommon these days.  I really wouldn't stress over "what if he/she comes to me one day and asks about it?".  Your child will hardly be the only one in this situation.

This, and also - so what if your child does come and ask you this? Explain it! It's not like it's a dirty secret or an embarrassing conversation, and it could be a great opportunity to talk about all the different shapes families can take.  

You know, I actually hadn't thought of it that way. I grew up a stepchild, and I have been thinking about this in relation to my own experience. Like when my friends would ask me if I'm the oldest child, and that question has a complicated answer.. yes, I'm my mother's first born, but no I'm not the oldest child in my family because my step-siblings are older than I am, and I never see my mom and half-siblings anyway. BUT, my child's experience is certainly not going to be like my own experience. Thanks for that perspective! 

griffin
  • imageCynthiaC1213:

imagejobiann:
    Doesn't seem fair that the LO should have to have a huge&nbsp;hyphenated&nbsp;name to write out the rest of his/her life. Sorry, hyphenated names drive me insane. Just my two cents.

This is exactly what I'm questioning.. Is it fair to saddle my kid with a name that he/she will have to explain or risk ridicule for? But at the same time is it fair to leave out my name or my partner's name? I don't want my kid coming to me one day asking why I have a different last name than everyone else, or why Dad has a different last name than everyone else.

I keep thinking this would be so much easier if I was more traditional or conservative. &nbsp;:/

My mom kept her maiden name and gave it to me as my middle name. Sometimes people assume my parents are divorced, but besides that its never once been a problem, and I love my mn! I'd definitely say go that route over a hyphenated last name.
  • As a teacher there are a couple assumptions that I make (I apologize in advance for the honesty here... it's just from my experience) about kids that have hyphenated last names.

1) They are really rich/snotty

2) They have a rough family background

Most of the time teachers don't know whether to call them by the 1st last name, second last name or both. When the kids are indifferent or dislike their hyphen they shorten it anyway. I say, no hyphen... make it a middle name or something.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"