April 2013 Moms

Elective u/s?

I am having issues with my insurance right now...long story short- they won't cover any of my pregnancy/maternity costs...which they had previously told us they would so we have already been going to the doctor and have our appt and a/s scheduled for November. Until it gets straightened out we can pay out of pocket for at least one more routine Dr.'s appt this year but not the a/s. I've heard some people talk about going somewhere where they could get an u/s for like $60 or so?? Could someone tell me more about what that entails??
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
We can't wait to meet our Blake Katherine!!

Re: Elective u/s?

• The a/s is a medical test and should be done in a medical facility, not a commercial ultrasound facility.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • An elective ultrasound is essentially only to determine the sex and get a few printed ultrasound pictures, while an anatomy scan is a comprehensive ultrasound that involves taking measurements and noting the healthy [or not] development of vital organs.

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having difficulties with your insurance company! :( 

Also, prices vary by state. In MN, it's more than $100 for an elective u/s. 

Isaac Levi 4/26/09 : BFP#2 - MC 9w : Ezra John 6/26/11 : Miriam Joy 4/12/13 : Naomi Ann 9/2/14

• Loading the player...
  • The Elective Ultrasound is pretty much just for fun and to see the baby, we paid 39 for ours. It can't replace the A/S because during the A/S the doctor will look at the baby's heart and organs etc for potential issues. The only thing an elective U/S will do is allow you to see the sex of the baby, most of the websites will even tell you they do not perform diagnosis nor should they be used in replacement of physician's care.

HTH

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker                                                                  

Baby on Board - My Blog 

Anniversary

• I've never heard of an elective that cheap, but that isn't what you need.  Like PP said, it's just for fun and maybe an earlier peek at sex. The a/s needs to be done by a doctor to make sure baby is growing like they should be and that their aren't any problems.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Have you checked on the cost of the anatomy scan? I paid out of pocket for my first ultrasound (because I have a high deductible plan) and it was only $100 and change. I know the anatomy scan is more involved so will likely cost more but it doesn't hurt to ask.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh- I guess a/s isn't what I mean then! Just one to see what the baby is until we can get my ins. straightened out to do our a/s with the doctor.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
    We can't wait to meet our Blake Katherine!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"