July 2012 Moms

BM ounces = Formula ounces?

I was recently hospitalized for surgery and have been pumping and dumping.  After blowing through my freezer stash we had to start LO on formula.  He was taking 4 ounce breastmilk bottles so that is what he is getting in formula (Nutramigen because of milk intolerance).  Now he seems to want to eat every 1-1.5 hours, instead of every 2-3. Does the formula not fill them up as long?  Should we increase the bottle size?  If so, by how much?  Thanks! 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: BM ounces = Formula ounces?

• In my case I have found LO eats a ton more on Alementum(the similac version of Nutramigen).  I thought it was because it is partially broken down so it doesn't take much for them to break it down and digest it therefore they are hungrier faster.  I could be completely making this up though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I've read that formula is not as fortified as breast milk...or something along those lines...so there's more waste (as in poop!). They don't take in as much "stuff" with formula. So you need to have more formula than breast milk. I'm not sure how much more, but if you're feeding 4 oz of breast milk, I agree with PP - probably 5-6 oz of formula.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"