November 2012 Moms

I quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's Wednesday and I was going to do my first CPW. Yay me!! But I can't figure out why my stupid clicky poll won't post :( So I will just ask. What has been the hardest thing for you to "give up" during this pregnancy?

I was a smoker for 10 years and I always said I would quit if/ when I got pregnant. Not a lot of people believed me. I quit smoking literally 10 minutes after I found out I was 6 weeks along. Haven't smoked since. 

So has there been something, if anything,  (smoking, drinking, energy drinks, etc.) that you have let go of for the sake of baby? How are you dealing with it? Have you gotten over it?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: I quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Caffiene has been super hard. I haven't given it up completely, but going from 2-3 cups every morning plus a soda or two in the afternoon to MAYBE one caffeinated beverage a day has been torture.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imageLovely Lauren:
    Caffiene has been super hard. I haven't given it up completely, but going from 2-3 cups every morning plus a soda or two in the afternoon to MAYBE one caffeinated beverage a day has been torture.  

I feel your pain. I just count milligrams and space it out. Seems to get me through the day. Although I will probably be jazzed once LO gets here and I indulge in my fave energy drink!

• Loading the player...
  • I quit smoking a month or two before I got pg with DD & then went back after we stopped breastmilk. I quit again right before we got pregnant this time. It hasn't been awful but there are times when I get slammed with a craving. Especially in certain situations or when I am feeling extra stressed. I can work through them easily when I am pregnant but I fear that I'll go back when I'm not. I really hope to stay quit this time.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Yay for you girls quitting smoking, that's awesome!!

I sure have missed the occassional drink...

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Even though I gave up the party scene a few years ago, I was really bummed about my 21st birthday this past July. Luckily, SO thought enough about me to buy me my favorite bottle of wine, drank that and then got chocolate wasted instead. First world problems, I know.

I have to admit, I'm more upset about me not being able to sleep on my belly. I've been a belly sleeper ALL my life and this 9 months of side/back sleeping is rough. 

I never really indulged too much on any other habits to have too much of a hard time..

V|V TSP V|V
  • I have had one half glass of wine this entire pregnancy and DH didn't even let me enjoy it.  He kept with the 'what ifs' and actually called me selfish.  I think an occasional glass of wine during pregnancy is totally fine, but it wasn't worth the argument with DH.  I would really like to have a guilt-free glass of wine again.

• Smoking.  I tried to quit when I first found out, but couldn't do it.  I would do really well and go a couple days without one, but then would cave.  I eventually just limited the number I would smoke and made a pack last like 5 days.  At the time my bf didn't want me to use any replacement aids.  I was ok with the mental aspect of it, but I have anxiety disorder and unfortunately, cigs have the same effect on the brain as the antianxiety meds, so after a couple days of not having it my world would pretty much fall apart.  I have since then gotten the patch to help with that part and haven't looked back.  I am now off the patch and doing great.  I just needed a little help with the chemical part. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLuckyMissus:

Yay for you girls quitting smoking, that's awesome!!

I sure have missed the occassional drink...

This.  I wasn't an alcoholic or anything but we normally would go out with friends or to a friends house and have drinks on the weekends....its just not the same when you are the only one there NOT drinking.  I still made sure I didn't turn into a hermit though, I even made it to a concert in September!  

dancing animated GIF
    N14 November Siggy Challenge - Celebration
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerimageBabyFruit Ticker

• image143BabyCakes:

It's Wednesday and I was going to do my first CPW. Yay me!! But I can't figure out why my stupid clicky poll won't post :( 

FYI...

Start a new post.

Type this in your post:   [poll]

Click on the "poll" tab in the new post.

Follow the directions - check "add poll to post", ask a question, add answers to click.

Then click "post".

Done :-) 

• I quit drinking Coke.  That was the only soda I ever drank anyway, but I didn't want that potent, sugary, toxic syrup reaching my developing baby.  So I quit.  I also quit drinking wine/beer altogether obviously - though I never drank much to begin with.  I admit that I've had a sip or partial glass of wine here and there after the 1st trimester, but it just doesn't taste the same pregnant :-(

Good for you for quitting smoking!  Do you think you'll start again after the baby is born?  

*(sorry if that's a weird question...I've never smoked cigarettes, so I don't have a clue what the protocol is!). 

• imageSprite2012:
    image143BabyCakes:

It's Wednesday and I was going to do my first CPW. Yay me!! But I can't figure out why my stupid clicky poll won't post :( 

FYI...

Start a new post.

Type this in your post:   [poll]

Click on the "poll" tab in the new post.

Follow the directions - check "add poll to post", ask a question, add answers to click.

Then click "post".

Done :-) 

I didn't do this. Something so simple lol. Thanks!

• I'm a GD so I had to give up all of the super tasty carbs. I can still have some carbs but not as many and definitely not the tasty bleached versions like traditional pasta and white bread. It sucks big time and I'm counting the days to EDD so I can have a ginormous salami sandwich (something else that's a favorite that I haven't had since BFP) on fresh white bread again with a side of pasta salad and the most enormous fully caffeinated, regular Pepsi you've ever seen. Sucky thing is, though, the GD brought on the diagnosis that I'm actually pre-diabetic so I won't get to just toss the GD diet out the window after delivery Crying
    Please pardon any typos -- I'm typically bumping from my phone
    V|V TSP V|V
    imageimageimage
    * Lindsay Chase is going to be a big brother in August! *
  • imageSprite2012:

Good for you for quitting smoking!  Do you think you'll start again after the baby is born?  

*(sorry if that's a weird question...I've never smoked cigarettes, so I don't have a clue what the protocol is!). 

I am hoping I don't pick it back up. A lot of people I know smoke. Once you get over the chemical part, it's a mental thing. I used to smoke from stress, habit, etc. Now I have had to figure out how to deal with things without smoking so I think that will help me even after LO gets here.

• I really miss having a glass of wine or champagne. I know I can have a glass of wine, but at this point I feel like I have gone this long whats a few more days.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Drinks, especially during tailgates/football games...I would love a hard cider!
  • imageCarya84:
    Drinks, especially during tailgates/football games...I would love a hard cider!

I have found myself being introvertly(?) grouchy some football sundays. Almost there, and then LO will suit up in his jersey with me. And we will both get a bottle...of something :)

• image143BabyCakes:
    imageSprite2012:

I am hoping I don't pick it back up. A lot of people I know smoke. Once you get over the chemical part, it's a mental thing. I used to smoke from stress, habit, etc. Now I have had to figure out how to deal with things without smoking so I think that will help me even after LO gets here.

I smoked for years too, and I still hate to admit it.  it started out as an "only when I drink thing" and then became a habit.  The morning I got a positive pregnancy test, I threw an entire pack in the trash.  I can honestly say I have not missed it, but then again, I am also not drinking.  I wasn't a huge drinker, but I enjoy wine and going out with friends for drinks on weekends.  Seeing as I cannot do that, I think that made quitting so easy, plus, I just can't help thinking how unfair smoking is to my baby.  I pray that I will not pick it back up.  My husband does not smoke, which helps me too.  Like you, I will just need to find other ways to channel my urge, if and when it returns.  I know I can do it, and I just need to be committed! 

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • DEFINITELY wine! I stopped missing it in the 2nd tri, but now knowing I can have it again soon is making me crave it like crazy. That's really the only thing I had to give up since I gave up meat, caffeine, dairy, etc years ago. So, I still eat the same...I just want my wiiiiine!
    imageimage imageimage
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Dude, the night life. Can you quit that? Well, I did. Sometimes I sit in the house and listen to Kanye West's "Flashing Lights" and daydream about how cool I used to be. Don't get me wrong, I'm way stoked (and blessed) to be a mommy! It just felt very abrupt like, all of a sudden, no party time...10 month time-out status. Preggo girls in the club=not cute. I went from never being in the house to living for broadcast tv dramas (Scandal!) Ah, I'm 28, it's time to have a seat.
  • i gave up alot of things. soda, chips, mostly junkfood but it wasn't as hard as giving up school! i had to take a break from college for this, because my subjects were potentially harmful. so i guess that was the hardest.
    Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Giving up my fantasy of finding a part-time job and going back to school full-time was tough.  I'm the breadwinner, by a lot, so we can't afford for me to quit.  There's no way I could swing a 60-hour work week plus an allied health program and still have time to spend with my family.  It was sad, but my boys are worth the sacrifice.  Plus I know that my SO will be able to find a higher paying job once he's done with school in six months, so it's not a dead dream.  Just delayed.

• I think I miss my daily or twice daily dr. peppers the most. I indulge once a week if that now. I also have a full wine rack that keeps calling my name! Oh the seasonal beers are also killing me! I'm an occasional drinker normally, 1 or 2 drinks a week, but it seems lately that all I see is alcohol. DH quit smoking with the patches recently because I gave him the choices of stopping or going to live with his parents! I know he misses it but its better for all of us and his insurances are so much cheaper! Everyone who has quit smoking should be so proud, its so hard to quit! 
    Missed M/C 11/11/11
    BFP: 3/15/12 EDD: 11/25/12 DOB: 11/12/12
  • I miss drinking. I gave up a few other things, like lunch meat, but I made so many eating changes in the months before I got pregnant that I don't really notice. I know your very occasional glass of wine is probably ok, and I'll taste my husband's drink on occasion. But we've been going out to dinner trying to burn through all our gift cards and get in our date nights before LO arrives at least once a week lately. I would stab someone in the eye for a glass of sangria or a margarita. H has been very sweet about it and has invented a number of non alcoholic cocktails for me to drink when we go out, but all I want is a beer or a glass of wine, and its starting to get old. Just get this baby out of me so I can have a drink and not worry about it. 
  • imageCandaceLeigh:
    I have had one half glass of wine this entire pregnancy and DH didn't even let me enjoy it.  He kept with the 'what ifs' and actually called me selfish.  I think an occasional glass of wine during pregnancy is totally fine, but it wasn't worth the argument with DH.  I would really like to have a guilt-free glass of wine again.

I'm not a big drinker at all, and having had a previous miscarriage, my DH and I were super scared of ANYTHING that could harm our LO.  But really, my husband freaked out when I took a sip of wine during communion.  I mean really - it's a sip and communion wine is so watered down that it might as well be grape juice. 

• I like to drink. And not to get drunk. I mean, I like to drink sweet wines, different types of mixed flavorful drinks, and seasonal beers. It bums me out not to be able to try the new blackberry martini at such and such a place, or not to be able to get a Toasted Almond for dessert after a nice dinner. I also realize I won't get to drink any, really, until after I finish breastfeeding. Pump and dump is an option, yeah yeah, but kind of impractical since, who wants to stop after just one drink when the cocktails taste good!? There could be worse things, I guess.
  • I miss alcohol. Wasn't a huge drinker to begin with, but I seemed to crave it during pregnancy for some reason. The hardest was my seasonal drinks. All the carmel apple beer I kept seeing... *drools*. Luckily a 24 pack of Summer Shandy (only sold June-August) is in my fridge waiting for the baby to arrive! I will have my summer beer with my Thanksgiving dinner and be psyched about it!!

BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This isn't a food or anything, but the hardest thing for me has been giving up ice skating!  The ice rinks have been open for several weeks now - I used to go all the time pre-pregnancy.  I can't wait to have my center of gravity back! 
    Photobucket
    "For this child I prayed; and the LORD has given me my petition which I asked of him:"
    -1 Samuel 1:27 Lilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • image143BabyCakes:
    imageSprite2012:

I'm hoping to stay smoke free, but I have concerns.  I like not spending the money on stupid crap.   I can't imagine drinking without smoking.  Especially if we go out to a bar one night.  That will be rough.  Or going to my best friend's house to hang out.  We generally drink, play games and take smoke breaks.  A good bit of our evening happens on the "smokers patio".  Idk.  I will just have to take it one day at a time and hope that I can keep this up. 
  • imageskibbyaction:

imageCandaceLeigh:
    I have had one half glass of wine this entire pregnancy and DH didn't even let me enjoy it.  He kept with the 'what ifs' and actually called me selfish.  I think an occasional glass of wine during pregnancy is totally fine, but it wasn't worth the argument with DH.  I would really like to have a guilt-free glass of wine again.

I'm not a big drinker at all, and having had a previous miscarriage, my DH and I were super scared of ANYTHING that could harm our LO.  But really, my husband freaked out when I took a sip of wine during communion.  I mean really - it's a sip and communion wine is so watered down that it might as well be grape juice. 

When people find out I take communion wine each week and side-eye me for it I shrug my shoulders and tell them, "Jesus has got my back on this one, I think". It shuts them up pretty quickly Smile

Please pardon any typos -- I'm typically bumping from my phone
    V|V TSP V|V
    imageimageimage
    * Lindsay Chase is going to be a big brother in August! *
  • imagewawa84:
    image143BabyCakes:
    imageSprite2012:

I'm hoping to stay smoke free, but I have concerns.  I like not spending the money on stupid crap.   I can't imagine drinking without smoking.  Especially if we go out to a bar one night.  That will be rough.  Or going to my best friend's house to hang out.  We generally drink, play games and take smoke breaks.  A good bit of our evening happens on the "smokers patio".  Idk.  I will just have to take it one day at a time and hope that I can keep this up. 

Exactly. But we can obviously not smoke. So we will just have to keep reminding ourselves that even though LO is on the outside us not smoking is what's best for him/ her.

• Diet soda. I went from 6 per day to 1. It sucks sometimes but it isn't too bad. I'm not sure if I'll be able to stay at 1 per day when I'm not restricted anymore though. That will take some willpower.
  • Sandwich/Deli meats and hotdogs, and man I love hotdogs, I didn't really give them up until I realized they were causing digestion issues, then I was like, oh, must be the hotdogs, so I quit :-(
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I quit smoking a few years ago, but I gave up all the standards at 4 weeks as well as artificial coloring, high fructose corn syrup and fast food etc.. In the last month, I've resumed tea and the occasional cup of coffee. One thing I never did shake was late nights. I started a new job that is very demanding and have definitely spent quite a few nights over this last trimester with less than 3 hours of sleep. We are down to just my income right now, and it is a meager income at that - it has been tough.

I think I made it to around month 6 before I started eating candy again. Won't be back to blue cheese, sushi, alcohol, prosciutto etc until after the birth.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"