Stay at Home Moms
Options

Sid the Science Kid *Edited OP*

Does anyone else's kids watch this? It is the creepiest show ever. Anyone else think so?

ETA: I meant the animation is weird and creepy, not the content of the show. The characters are creepy, especially Sid and Gerald.

Re: Sid the Science Kid *Edited OP*

• Options
    It is creepy.  Ugh.  I cannot stand it.
    promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options
    A few times. I had thought about using clips from it for when I was teaching science. I didn't remember it being creepy...
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD really likes that show and it is amazing what she retains from watching it.  I don't find it creepy at all.
    DD #1 - 01.08
    DD #2 - 03.13
  • Options
    I like it. I feel like there Are so many shows about reading and math I am happy to see one science based. My kids pick up a lot from it, nothing like hearing your three year old talk about reversible changes.
  • Options
    I didn't mean the content of the show. I meant the weird animation.
  • Options
    Not creepy at all- my DD  has learned a lot from it
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I've often wondered in Sid is in the special ed class.  But I think that's because he kind of has to narrate everything he does because they don't have a narrator for the show.

My kids love Curious George and there's some science type topics in it.  But not as in depth as Sid.   

• Options
    I don't mind it at all. I think it's kind of cool, actually and far more educational than something like Wow Wow Wubzy or Max & Ruby!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • Options

DS watches it sometimes and he does like it.  I really don't like it.  I think Sid is annoying, Gerald's voice (I think that's the red-headed kid right?) grates on my ever loving nerves, and I despise Sid's Grandma's laugh.  So yeah... basically I really dislike the show.  I don't know why it bugs me so much, but it does. 

ETA: I do agree that the content is good, I like that they cover scientific things in a way that's more approachable for LOs, but ugh... the characters!

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

My toddler likes to watch it occasionally, but I think it's obnoxious. They tried way too hard to make the kids *seem* like pre-schoolers with their hyper-activity (Gerald), annoying little voices (May in particular), and desperate for attention characters (Sid especially). I do not think it gives toddlers/pre-schoolers the credit they deserve?the ability to grasp science concepts (or any concept, for that matter) without hyperactivity.

And, yes, I think the "puppetry" animation is kind of creepy.

Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
  • Options

I can kind of understand how you would find the animation creepy. 

We used to watch it regularly when DD was younger, but don't really watch it anymore because it's now only on when we aren't usually home.  I really like the science content of the show and like others said, it's amazing what kids retain from watching it.  That said, I can't stand the Gerald character, he really gets on my nerves. 

Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • Options
    DD watches it every once and a while.  I cannot say that I love the show but it is better than a lot of them - Wonder Pets, Yo Gabba Gabba, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't like it especially, but the creepy one to me is Lazytown - EWWW :(
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Proud Mom to the ZooCrew - Jack 3 years old and Joey 21 months. 
    Excited and delighted to welcome the 3rd member of the ZooCrew in 2015! We can't wait to meet you Matthew Henry!
  • Options
    Yes my kiddos love it.  I think the whole show is creepy- from the animation to the kids "personalities".
  • Options

My DS LOVES Sid and word world.

I find Sids parents to be weird. LOL 

• Options
    I always wondered if Sid was special needs? That might be flame worthy. I don't mind that show, it's Caillou that I effing hate. HATE.
  • Options
    Why is everyone asking if Sid has special needs???  Like, how so.....?
    Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • Options

imageshibby00:
    I always wondered if Sid was special needs? That might be flame worthy. I don't mind that show, it's Caillou that I effing hate. HATE.

ehhhhhh caillou is whiny!!!!! Ds used to like that show but has moved on thank goodness!

• Options
    imageCnAmom:
    imageMrsBalletStar05:
    Why is everyone asking if Sid has special needs???  Like, how so.....?
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Me too! I don't get this line of thinking at all.
  • Options
    Sid has special needs? Not seeing it. I love that show, I think it's awesome. We have a CD of the songs in the car. I can sing "Checkin' Out Charts" and "Cooking is Chemistry" word-for-word.
  • Options

imageMrs.Hizzo:
    Sid has special needs? Not seeing it. I love that show, I think it's awesome. We have a CD of the songs in the car. I can sing "Checkin' Out Charts" and "Cooking is Chemistry" word-for-word.

"Checkin' out charts, cause charts rule!"  LOL.  Those songs get stuck in my head for days!  My personal favorite is "Beautiful trees, you know we love them.  Beautiful trees, we need more of them".  I will catch myself singing it as I blow dry my hair.

DD #1 - 01.08
    DD #2 - 03.13
  • Options
    I hate Caillou because he is demanding and his parents are always like, "Oh ok!"  His parents are push-overs!
    Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • Options

Not creepy! Totally awesome! I think Sid is a normal kid. I think Gerald will be diagnosed with ADHD later in life. 

DS comes in the kitchen in the morning yelling "It's breakfast time!" 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    From what I remember it is because the story of Calliou is being read from a book.  So they add the foggy border. 
    April 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"