August 2012 Moms

So much spit up!

Oliver is gaining weight, so his doc isn't worried about his throwing up, but it just seems so excessive to me! Last night he woke up three separate times grunting and groaning, the second I picked him up he vomited on me. And once I went to pick him up and his sheet was all wet from spit up. This is pretty much every night.

After every feeding he pukes up what seems like everything he just ate. I use receiving blankets as burp cloths because there is so much!!

Anyway, I don't know what to do about it. Is there anything I can do? It doesn't seem like keeping him elevated for any amount if time matters. And all the "spit up reducing" bottles are full of LIES!! Lol.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: So much spit up!

• I was going to post something similar. His pedi calls Howie a " cheerful spituper." He said that since he's gaining plenty and doesn't seem to be in paIn, he's not going to worry about it. I've tried it all too: breaks between breasts to allow some digestion, holding upright, change in diet, frequent burping, etc. I expect it's going to get worse when teething starts!
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• imageBaker_Bride:
    I was going to post something similar. His pedi calls Howie a " cheerful spituper." He said that since he's gaining plenty and doesn't seem to be in paIn, he's not going to worry about it. I've tried it all too: breaks between breasts to allow some digestion, holding upright, change in diet, frequent burping, etc. I expect it's going to get worse when teething starts!

It's so annoying! I have to change my shirts all day long. And his clothes. It's super fun when he's laying down and it gets in his hair. Ha! Oh, man. I could so without this spit up problem!!

Sometimes it is right after he eats, sometimes it's 20 mins later, or it could be an hour or more later. It's crazy!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • DS spits up a lot more now, too.  It doesn't bother him at all, so I've chalked it up to the decrease in the number of feedings and the increase in the intake of each feeding. 
                      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yep, I have a 'happy spitter' too.  My Mom said I was the same way.  I've been trying to nurse so DD is completely on her side instead of under the boob at all because I think she takes in less air that way.  But otherwise I've been buying cloth diapers to use as burp cloths and keep a bib on her most of the time.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • imageJnmac83:
    imageBaker_Bride:
    I was going to post something similar. His pedi calls Howie a " cheerful spituper." He said that since he's gaining plenty and doesn't seem to be in paIn, he's not going to worry about it. I've tried it all too: breaks between breasts to allow some digestion, holding upright, change in diet, frequent burping, etc. I expect it's going to get worse when teething starts!

It's so annoying! I have to change my shirts all day long. And his clothes. It's super fun when he's laying down and it gets in his hair. Ha! Oh, man. I could so without this spit up problem!!

Sometimes it is right after he eats, sometimes it's 20 mins later, or it could be an hour or more later. It's crazy!

Yuck! I really wanted to not have to wash his hair every day but am I supposed to leave puke in it??!?

The only good thing is it drives my mom crazy! I think she has a true phobia of vomit. It's not true vomit but that doesn't matter. She really wants him to be medicated. I explained the medication is for pain not spitup. If he was in pain he'd tell us.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Our girl is the same way! I take a wet washcloth to her face, neck, and hair every day. We bought super absorbent microfiber shop towels to use as burp cloths. Also, we are forever mopping as our whole house is hardwood!
  • Oh! Just a note, when we started the kiddo on probiotics for gas, the spit up situation drastically improved.
  • We are in the same boat with our LO. It seems like it is a recent thing with her though (the past week or so). When she burps, it is hit or miss whether or not she spits up with it. But then 2-3 hours later, just in time for the next feeding, she spits up some more. It is starting to be a pain changing her clothes every feeding that we know just leave her bib on.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Have you tried changing the amount you're giving him per bottle? This was us, all of the time. I would change Sergio's outfit 4+ times a day from how much he would spit up. He has reflux, so the doctor suggested rice cereal, which did nothing but constipate him. So, we switched to oatmeal cereal which is supposed to have the opposite effect on their bowels, but nothing...still constipated him. So, then the doctor recommended that we decrease how much we were giving him. At the time, he was getting 4oz in every bottle, eating every 2 hours during the day (of expressed breastmilk). When the doctor suggested it, I thought, "Yea freaking right...this kid is always hungry with 4oz, there's no way he's going to deal with 3 or 3.25." Well, it's been about a week and a half with 3.25oz bottles and the spit up is no more. Honest to God, it's insane. He rarely, rarely spits up anymore and he's fine after the bottle, not screaming for more. I just put his pacifier in and move onto something else...usually play time. If he does spit up, it's once a day, nowhere near what he used to do. So, try that? Even if you don't think it'll work, it's worth a shot!

I agree with you on the bottles. We've used Dr. Brown's Wide Neck from the start and he's always been a really gassy baby with reflux and colic...no improvement with the bottles.

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"