Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Sick and gong to daycare

What are the rules/ettiquette for taking LO to daycare while sick? At what point in the cold/illness is it okay to take them back?  LO has a cold right now (so do I so I'm off work today) and has a fever rectally of 100.5 (was 100.9 yesterday).  She has a cough and super runny nose.  She stayed home w/ DH yesterday bc his work was cancelled due to the hurricane (I'm a first responder so I had to work regardless) but one of us would have stayed home w/ her even if there were no hurricane due to her fever/cold.  Once the fever is gone is she okay to take back to daycare?  I'm a FTM and not sure of all the daycare "ettiquette".  Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Sick and gong to daycare

• Options
    Your daycare probably has a rule about this in the handbook. Ours says they can return after all symptoms have been gone for 24 hours. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The general rule for schools is 24 hours fever free so I think that's what I would do with daycare too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used to have a home daycare and the laws will vary from state to state and from daycare to daycare, but usually it's fever free for 24 hours. Unless the cough and runny nose is bad, I would say it's ok to send her as long as she's fever free for 24 hours. That being said, it's a good idea to keep your LO home if she's very cranky. It's just easier on everyone, including your LO, if they are comfortable at home!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I would like to add that LO needs to be fever-free without the aid of Tylenol. I am a teacher and have often had parents send kids back to school too soon b/c they don't realize this. It spreads the germs and also leaves LO open to catching something on top of what they already have. i hope your baby feels better soon!

• Options
    Thanks everyone! She seems to be doing better today. Had a slight fever this morning but it's going down.  Her spirits are up and she's happy and giggly.  Started coughing up mucus so I guess that's a good thing.  It's clear and stuff is loosening up. Thanks for the help!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"