Stay at Home Moms
Options

Getting your period after breastfeeding???

Hello ladies,

I have been breastfeeding my 10 month old exclusively since birth.  As a result I haven't had a period.  How soon do you start your period after you stop breastfeeding?  And do some women get a period when breastfeeding exclusively?

TIA 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Getting your period after breastfeeding???

• Options

I got mine about a month before my DDs first birthday. So 11 months post partum. Since then, they are 100% regular and I have the WORST cramps.

To answer your question, every woman is different. I know some women who EBF and get their period back within the first couple months and some who dont get it back until they wean.

ETA: And I am still BFing.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I got mine at 5 months pp both times and I was EBFing.  Everyone is different
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageajc0121:

To answer your question, every woman is different. I know some women who EBF and get their period back within the first couple months and some who dont get it back until they wean.

Exactly this. It's different for everyone. DD is almost 8 months, and I'm still EBF, with no period yet.

If you didn't have your period, and you weaned completely, you should have it back the next month already.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

I ebf with DS2 and got mine at 11 months post partum.  It was pretty normal, nothing too crazy.

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think both of mine were at 6 months. I was surprised at how typical for me it was. I do wish it stayed away longer for me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• Options
    I got mine right at 8 months PP, EBFing. Like a previous poster said, my periods since have been regular and more obnoxious than they were before pregnancy. Wonderful. 
    Because you're mine, I walk the line....
    Landry Mark: 11/5/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Even with BF I got AF back at the 2-3mo mark which sucked because let's face it, we hold out hope that it stays away as long as possible!  Just be prepared, the first ones can be WICKED (or shall I put it as...  they're going to be reminiscent of a scene from a horror movie...)...  Though like some mentioned, everyone is different.  Enjoy it while it's gone!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I got my period the first 2 times at 6.5 months PP. The 3rd time it was at 4.5 months PP. I was EBF.......
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options
    I was very lucky and didn't get my period until about 2 or 3 weeks after I had completely stopped breastfeeding my son at 15 months.

• Options
    imageajc0121:

I got mine about a month before my DDs first birthday. So 11 months post partum. Since then, they are 100% regular and I have the WORST cramps.

ETA: And I am still BFing.

Thanks. 

• Options
    I breastfed until 18 months and I got my first PP period at 10 months.  It can happen at any time. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I got my period at about 4 months post partum while EBF.

As PP said, everyone is different and it has to do with hormone levels. Frequent nursing prevents your ovulatory hormones from rising, delaying the return of your period. But in my case, my kids tend to sleep for longer stretches quite early on, which means my hormone levels can rise enough for an ovulation cycle to return. Make sense?

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"