Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Done with crib yet?

Our daughter is 17 months old and refuses to sleep in her crib, for naps or nighttime.  She screams like it is hot coals the second I try to put her in.  She has been sleeping in our bed for a week, and I'm over it.  I've been putting her to bed in our room, just like I did hers, leaving her alone and she falls asleep on her own and sleeps all night.  But, in the wrong bed!!!!  Is it too early for her toddler bed?  Is there a reason she's doing this?  Can we fix it? 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Done with crib yet?

• I'm just wondering how she doesn't fall out? My lo is still in crib. Maybe try to just let her cry it out for a little.? Give a blanket from your bed? I just think 17 months is young to be in a bed. Unless you want her with you in yours. My lo moves a ton, so the crib is the best place for now. And he thinks the bed is for jumping:(
  • I think it's more about sleeping in your room and in your bed than about her outgrowing the crib. You could put a toy lined ball pit toddler bed in her room and she probably would scream if you put her to bed there right now. Sounds like you may need to start over with sleep training her to sleep in her own room.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie - (A6Jy)

• Loading the player...
  • She stays in the middle, she's a pretty still sleeper.  We put pillows on the edge but she never goes near them.  And, we get in bed with her 2 hours later so she's not alone all night.  We tried to let her cry it out, but we're just not tough enough!!  One night we made it an hour, checking on her progressively and that was all we could take.  It's ear piercing and insanely loud, it makes me feel so terrible!  I think 17 months seems to young too...

• No Cry Sleep Solution would have some ideas for you I think. The one that occurs to me is to set up a twin size mattress on the floor either near yours or in another room, put her to bed on that the same way that you would in your bed. Then you can sneak away and go back to your bed. Your you could try side carring the crib next to your bed and see if you can re-acclimate your baby to the crib without the crying drama. It could be that because of your attempts at cry it out she's got negative associations with the crib. If you do want to try a regular size mattress you could slide swim noodles under the sheet on each edge so that she can roll, but won't accidentally roll off. This works really well for us when we're at hotels. Good luck!
  • imagernbeth477:
    You could put a toy lined ball pit toddler bed in her room and she probably would scream if you put her to bed there right now.

If this were facebook, I'd 'like' this comment:) And, I'm afraid you're right..

• imagejkolber10:
    She stays in the middle, she's a pretty still sleeper.nbsp; We put pillows on the edge but she never goes near them.nbsp; And, we get in bed with her 2 hours later so she's not alone all night.nbsp; We tried to let her cry it out, but we're just not tough enough!!nbsp; One night we made it an hour, checking on her progressively and that was all we could take.nbsp; It's ear piercing and insanely loud, it makes me feel so terrible!nbsp; I think 17 months seems to young too...

I agree with pp. There are other ways to sleep train without having to use CIO. I think using one of those would be best, if you don't want her in your room.

Lilypie - (A6Jy)

• I am sort of in the same situation as you. Our DD was sleeping in her crib and in her own room even since she was little up until about 6 months ago when all of a sudden she got sick with a spiked temp and ended up having a seizure and vomiting. It was THE SCARIEST time in my life. After that, She has been sleeping in our room but still in her crib. Then recently she got an upper respitory infect and double ear infection and just felt plain bad and had a hard time sleeping due to not being able to breathe through her nose. So she slept in the middle of us so I could keep and ear and eye on her at all times. She has always been kind of sickly even since birth so I get VERY nervous when things happen. Now she will go to bed in her crib but wakes up through the night when she realizes shes not with us in our bed. Im kind of stuck as to what to do as well. Hope you figure something out. But I do agree with you that I THINK THEY ARE STILL TOO YOUNG. I am not too worried about it until she can talk and tell me whats wrong, becuase right now she only says a few words.
  • Did she by chance get scared of something in her room?

Or is there something she likes better in your room other than you.

More light/less light. Hotter/Colder. Quieter/Noisier.

I'd experiment with those things before I move onto a toddler bed.

• DD has been sleeping in a double bed since 13 months. If she doesn't want to be in her crib then put her in her own bed!
    image imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"