November 2012 Moms

Possibly stupid hospital bag question

So I have my L&D bag packed, because I was expecting to attempt a vaginal delivery.  However with the possibility of a schedule c-section do I really need the stuff in my L&D bag?

If you had a c-section what did you want/need the most? I figure I only really need ID, insurance card, maybe my lip balm if I have to do a c-section. But I honestly never thought to ask about all the other stuff I thought was must have for L&D (ipod, magazines, hard candy, massage oil). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Possibly stupid hospital bag question

• I had a vaginal delivery with DD and didn't use half the stuff in my bag. There was no reading of magazines, relaxing to music on my ipod, or getting a massage. But that's just how my delivery went in the end. It could have gone very differently and I may still have wanted those items.

I'd just leave your bag packed until they confirm that you are having a C/S. Even with a C/S you could get bumped for a few hours for an emergency and may want your magazines and ipod to fill the time.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I didn't really pack my bag thinking about the hours of labor but more for the stay. I will take my kindle regardless but will use it during labor and after. I don't see a point in unpacking chapstick just bc you won't be breathing. Otherwise you still need toiletries and maybe a nursing tank or whatever I wore the gown the whole time last time but am planning on putting on clothes this time. I really don't think much would change.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • I had a c section with dd, and I could not wear ANY pants for a couple of weeks. Bring a maxi dress to leave hospital in in case your incision is painful.

MIL had to make a run to Target for me.....I couldn't bear to wear my yoga pants home.
    daughter born June 2011 via C-Section, son born November 2012 via VBAC
  • Everything I brought in my bag was fine for my C/S as well. If you end up with a C/S, you'll be there longer than expected, so you'll probably want some of those magazines, etc. if things get slow between visitors and baby is sleeping. I'm definitely excited to have my ipad this time around!

I would tell you to definitely bring your same toiletries and towels.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our first family photo!

• Thanks everyone! I figured I was over thinking it but I realized today I had not really considered the difference in my hospital's policy/procedures for scheduled c-sections.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • You will be in the hospital longer for a c-section so bring your toiletries, a towel, comfortable nighties and camera/video. 
  • you won't be able to eat any snacks and forget the massage oil. i didn't use anything in my bag except for toiletries until it was time to go home.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"