Trouble TTC

insurance question r/t TTTC

I know everyone has different insurance companies and plan options but just curious what have everyones experiences being with what insurance covers. Ex procedures, meds.  

Recently diagnosed with PCOS and this is my first time really having to deal with medical insurance (besides routine yearly visits) and don't fully understand everything with insurance.. Thanks in advance!

Me:25 dx: Graves Disease. RAI treatment done feb 2013. TTC on hold until Feb 2014 :( DH: 27 dx: bilateral varocelle and virtual azoospermia. Off BCP April 2011 TTC October 2011 Infertility consult with OB October 2012 HSG: clear Pelvic US: Ovarian Cysts TSH: 0.006 Dx: Grave disease diagnosed January 2013 DH SA: Low count and motility; repeat SA Jan 2013 low count. Male Urologist specializing in male infertility Feb 2013 dx: bilateral varocelle & virtual azoospermia. Genetic testing done on DH due to extreme low SA. F/U appt in April 2013 to go over genetic test result and make a plan. RE consult January 2013. No plan made at this time. Wants my thyroid under control and DH to see urologist before plan made, more then likely IVF.

Re: insurance question r/t TTTC

• Hi, welcome, these ladies are amazing and a wonderful support system

Our insurance covers just the basic testing other wise we are OOP (out of pocket) for everything including meds.

Good Luck!

Me (30) my best friend (38)
    TTTC since "Jan 2011"
    RE appt april 2012
    Dx: PCOS and stage 1 endo
    S/A 19 million, 48 motility, 1 morphology
    6.1 progestrone
    HSG: tubes clear
    clomid 50mg + #1 IUI + trigger 6/9/12 BFN 6/18/12 Clomid 150mg +#2 IUI + trigger: 7/9/2012 BFN 7/18/2012 stage 1: endo removed 8/14/12
    Letrozole 2.5mg+estrogen=cycle cancelled for little to no response
    Follistim 75 (10/15-10/19) follistim 67 (10/20-10/21) cycle cancelled due to over response 9 follies and very thin lining
    ~ IVF #1:BC pills started 10/27~
    ~IVF class schedualed for 11/13~
    ~ Lupron starts Thanksgiving day~
    ~Stims start December 1st~
    ~ER: December 12th ~
    ~ET: December 15th~
    19 R. 12. Fertilized with ICSI, 2 transfered
    only 1 made it to freeze!
    Beta #1 12/27/12 (26)
    beta #2 12/29/12 (78.9)
    Beta #3 12/31/12 (149)
    Beta #4 1/4/13 (48)
    C/P on 1/4/13 @ 5 weeks and 2 days
    ~ IVF #2 ~
    ~ BC pills1/15-2/3~
    ~Lupron beings 1/31~
    ~stims start Feb. 9th~
    ~ER 2/21/13~
    ~14 R, 12 fertilized with ICSI~
    ~1 made it to freeze~
    ~Twin Boys Arrived August 31, 2013
    imageAnniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome~ everyone welcome
  • My covers all testing up until a diagnoses.  Once a diagnoses is determined, I am 100% OOP.
    My Chart My Blog

After almost 2 years of TTC and fertility treatments we got a surprise BFP in May 2013
    1/14/14 Baby Boy!! 
    TTC for #2 October 2015

• Loading the player...
  • I had all IF DX testing covered as well as all b/w and u/s covered.  98% of meds and 100% of procedures were OOP. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am so incredibly grateful that I have infertility coverage. With that being said I did find out that my follistim isn't covered but everything else has been; not sure why. Good luck!!!
  • imagebaconface:

It is bizarre to me that some of the PPs mentioned that companies will pay until a diagnosis, but not for treatment!! It's like, "ohhh you have cancer. Ok, well now you know. You're on your own. Good luck!"

Uhh yeah, except cancer is life threatening.....IF not so much.

• My insurance has a infertility benefit that covers up $7,000 medical/procedure and $3,000 in perceptions.  Those are both lifetime benefits and not yearly limits.  The person that I talked to on the phone said as long as the Dx is infertility when the MD does the billing it is covered up to those amounts.  

Has anyone had to do pre-approvals for medication or procedures?? Don't fully understand that either.  I've just been bombarded with information in the past few days I feel like my head is going to explode.

Me:25 dx: Graves Disease. RAI treatment done feb 2013. TTC on hold until Feb 2014 :( DH: 27 dx: bilateral varocelle and virtual azoospermia. Off BCP April 2011 TTC October 2011 Infertility consult with OB October 2012 HSG: clear Pelvic US: Ovarian Cysts TSH: 0.006 Dx: Grave disease diagnosed January 2013 DH SA: Low count and motility; repeat SA Jan 2013 low count. Male Urologist specializing in male infertility Feb 2013 dx: bilateral varocelle & virtual azoospermia. Genetic testing done on DH due to extreme low SA. F/U appt in April 2013 to go over genetic test result and make a plan. RE consult January 2013. No plan made at this time. Wants my thyroid under control and DH to see urologist before plan made, more then likely IVF.
  • imagekatyj25:

Ours covers testing and meds, as long as we are doing TI. Anything past that is OOP. So even if we do IUI, my RE just submits my meds as TI and we make sure to not submit the IUI claim to insurance.

You really need to call your insurance company though. Some companies cover the basics, while some cover IUI/IVF and others cover absolutely nothing.

It varies immensely!  We are SOOOO lucky to have 100% coverage.  We just pay a copay for when we actually see the RE and for meds.  Have a lifetime maximum of 6 IVF cycles and there are all kinds of stipulations (ie 3 IUIs before IVF, once you have IVF you cannot go back to IUI unless you have given birth since your IVF etc, etc)

ETA: clarity

Married: 7/2/11 TTC: 12/2011
    Me: 31, PCOS DH: 37, low morph and low counts

4 medicated TI, 1 IUI+Femara, 1 IUI+GonalF = BFNs
    IVF #1 Lupron/GonalF (Dec 2012)= 30R, 21M, 21F with ICSI, 18 HIP frosties!!!
    FET in August 2013 

http://i45.tinypic.com/21pym9.jpg

• Your RE's financial department should be able to help you a lot with this - they are used to dealing with all the insurance companies.  My insurance covers everything up to a Dx, DW's has a lifetime limit like yours does.  We don't know yet if meds are in that lifetime limit or covered under her pharmacy benefit or not covered at all.
    Same sex couple TTC with donor sperm.  I am 35 and carrying.  Endometriosis and DOR.
    AMH 0.5, AFC 5-8, FSH 7ish

IVF #1 - antagonist.  Empty follicle syndrome.  1 retrieved, 0 fertilized.
    IVF #2 - antagonist.  Ovulated early.  3 retrieved, 2 fertilized, 0 blasts
  • We just have 50% coverage on visits, blood work, ultrasounds, etc.  IUI and IVF are 100% OOP. =( So envious of those who have coverage!  You are so lucky!  My old company gives $15K lifetime towards IF...I kinda want to go back, haha! 
    TTC #1 since Sept 2011
    Me: 33, DH: 35, DX: PCOS & MFI (low everything)
    IUI #1-3 - Low Post-Wash Counts - All BFNs
    IVF #1 w/ ICSI: Long Lupron Protocol - Freeze-All Cycle due to Severe OHSS
    ER 4/27, 33 Eggs Retrieved, 13 Frosties
    FET #1 6/5, Transferred One Perfect 4AA Blast, HPT BFP @ 6dp5dt
    Beta #1 - 209, Beta #2 - 508, Beta #3 - 1,059
    EDD 2/20/14
    imageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have no IF coverage at all, so all of my testing and treatment has been OOP.  

I am currently going round and round with my insurance company and doctor's office, trying to get my TSH blood work covered since I was due to have it done anyway because of family history of thyroid disease.  It's not much compared to the amount we have spent on the rest of the testing and treatment, but any little bit I can save helps.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• I am 100% covered for all diagnosis procedures, and then 100% for treatment with a 10k lifetime max.I didn't think the 10k would last long, but the price that the insurance actually pays for each IUI is so much less than the actual cost. Medication is also fully covered. I have a $30 copay each time. 

Me: 33 DH: 32 SA#1 low count (6mil) SA#2- now in IUI range!(30mil) Dx:MFI
    11/1- IUI#1,12/1- IUI#2, 1/2- IUI#3 all BFFN
    IVF#1. Long Lupron.ER 3/8 10R,4M,5F. ET 3/3-one 1AB, 2 frosties 5dp5dt-BFP!! Beta 3/25-794 Beta 3/27- 1794
    First u/s 4/8 saw hb. 4/22 missed mc 8w3d. d&c 4/26
    FET #1- bcp start 6/9. ET 7/12. 2 perfect blasts.5dpt-BFP!! 
    Beta 7/24 -1,239!! Beta 7/26- 2569 Beta 7/29- 7120.  U/S 8/7 hb 118! U/S 8/14 hb 143! U/S 8/20 hb 170. Graduated!! Stick baby stick! 

• Only testing was covered for us.  No procedures or medications. Everything IVF related is 100% OOP.  I would just talk to the insurance company to make sure you understand the coverage and stipulations.
    2 year TTC journey with successful IVF in Nov 2012- B/G Twins!
    Baby Boy diagnosed with omphalocele and diaphragmatic hernia
    Born at 32 weeks due to PROM.  Emergency c-section due to prolapsed cord.
    Said Goodbye to our sweet Bennett after 5 short hours.  
    Spent 35 days in the NICU with our little girl.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • SA was not covered by insurance, paid $110 for that. HSG, blood tests and IUI: paid the $35 copay each visit and one bill for $22 for the lab to do blood test.  Trigger shot (Ovidrel) was not covered so we paid out of pocket. Bravelle injections were 80% covered. Insurance will pay up to $10,000 in a lifetime for IVF, that's our last resort, probably after 2 more IUI attempts.
    Me: 32, DH: 34.
    Trying since Jan 2011. Unexplained IF.
    2 IUIs = BFN.
    1 IVF (Dec 2013) = BFN.
    FET, 2 frosties (June 13, 2014)

14dp5dt-June 27 -BFP, beta 2061. 2nd beta >5000, 3rd beta >5000, 2 sacs 06/30.
    Twin Girls - 02/11/15 - at 37 weeks (no NICU, home with me at 3 days).
  • Each insurance is different.

My insurance does not cover anything and we are OOP even for testing.

We are expecting to pay $426 for DH's SA and I was charged $90 just to TALK to my OB for 5 minutes about what she thinks I should do at my annual exam. I am being charged $245 for my annual exam that would normally be free because my OB's office coded my visit under infertility. I have been fighting this bill for the past month and have gotten nowhere. I hate my insurance, and it has totally ruined my chances at having any hope that we will be able to use medical intervention to conceive.

TTC from May 2011 to Jan 2013. Due 9/11/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"