High-Risk Pregnancy

Just diagnosed with GD

Hi there,

I was just diagnosed by my doctor with GD.  She is sending me to a dietician at a high risk doctor's office.  She told me because my fasting blood sugar was high I might need medication in addtion to checking my sugars.  I'm scared, not so much for the possible risks to the baby, but mostly because I don't want to prick myself and feel like I won't be able to do it.  Also, I feel like I have enough stress in my life that I just don't want to deal with this too.

For your reference, my numbers were:

1 hour glucose test - 168

The following week I did the 3 hour test:

Fasting - 101

1st hour - 212

2nd hour - 128

3rd hour - 95

Any advice or support is much appreciated.  I will try to scroll through old posts now so I don't ask a lot of questions that have already been asked.

Thanks again. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Just diagnosed with GD

• It's a definite adjustment, but in end, it has really helped me feel more in control - I really hated the feeling something might be happening to my baby when I thought I was already doing everything right much more.  You get so used to the finger pricking, and like PP said, the lancets are adjustable and I also have to say, my brother is an insulin-dependent diabetic, and they have made HUGE strides in the past 20 years...I used to test once in a while on his meter since the dr's said siblings were at a higher risk and those old meters and lancets were wayyyyy worse!  We have it really easy in comparison. 

Once you find the foods that work well for you and the foods that don't, it's really not as overwhelming as those first few days might be.  Good luck!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks so much for the support! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • You've already gotten some good advice from PPs. One thing I would add is to try not to stress so much over it. That had been my problem in the six-seven weeks since I've been diagnosed. Stress can cause your numbers to be higher if there is enough stress. I've had some good days and some bad days (which mostly occur when I have a ton of other things going on as well). Keep your eyes on the prize and try to roll with the punches. GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"