March 2013 Moms

Crib Bumpers

So I've heard some say they don't have bumpers on their crib due to safety.  What are you doing?  Will you put one on your cribs?

Re: Crib Bumpers

• We will be using bumpers. I feel safe with them mostly because my sister used them with no problems with all 3 of her kids. I will remove them when LO begins standing on them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimage
  • imageKatK421:
    We will be using bumpers. I feel safe with them mostly because my sister used them with no problems with all 3 of her kids. I will remove them when LO begins standing on them.

agreed!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Not right away, but once LO is wiggling around, I'll likely put them in to avoid little limbs getting caught if he gets too close to the edge (I've had multiple night wakings when my 2nd would do this before I broke down and bought one), and I'll be using a breathable bumper.
    DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imageKatK421:
    We will be using bumpers. I feel safe with them mostly because my sister used them with no problems with all 3 of her kids. I will remove them when LO begins standing on them.

You know that the standing on them isn't the issue, right?  Bumpers restrict air flow.  Most babies are born with the instinct to change position/move their head if they aren't getting the air they need.  Some babies lack this developed sense and the CO2 builds up and they stop breathing.  It's impossible to know if your baby lacks that instinct or not. 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Not using them.  I have no desire to raise my child's risk of SIDS and crib bumpers are one of the things that I can actually control.  
  • imageelmoali:

imageKatK421:

You know that the standing on them isn't the issue, right?  Bumpers restrict air flow.  Most babies are born with the instinct to change position/move their head if they aren't getting the air they need.  Some babies lack this developed sense and the CO2 builds up and they stop breathing.  It's impossible to know if your baby lacks that instinct or not. 

I'm aware of the risks. Everything has risks. I'm also aware that my position on certain things will not be the same as other peoples positions. But I choose not to judge. I'm also aware that you are posting on the March 2013 Birth Month board, and you are apparently only 8 weeks pregnant.

imageimage
  • We're going with the breathable bumper.  It provides the barrier so that baby won't get her arms stuck in the crib slats but since it's mesh, she would be able to breathe in the event that she put her face against it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We're going to go with a breathable bumper as well. For the first months of baby being here, we will keep him/her in our room in a bassinet/rnp/something of that sort so we won't worry about it right away, but when baby transitions to a crib we will for sure but the bumpers on. I know the risks that people associate with bumpers and sids, but I also know that I have had multiple friends report running to a screaming child that has gotten their arm or leg stuck in the slots and worrying that if they would have rolled to try to get out that they would have broken or dislocated something. It's worth it to me to protect my child against that far more common likelihood.
  • imageKatK421:
    imageelmoali:

imageKatK421:

I'm aware of the risks. Everything has risks. I'm also aware that my position on certain things will not be the same as other peoples positions. But I choose not to judge. I'm also aware that you are posting on the March 2013 Birth Month board, and you are apparently only 8 weeks pregnant.

I guess the bumper keeping me in my place fell off.  I'm bored and wandering.  You might know the risks.  Not everyone does and they think the risk is standing and falling out.  And really, it's such an easily preventable risk.  No one NEEDS a bumper.

• Similar to some of the other posters, we will either use the thin mesh "non"-bumper that does not pose a suffocation hazard, or none at all. Depends on how active LO is.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I'll put it on once I lower the mattress when the baby is able to pull/stand up in the crib.  Same as we did with DD.
  • imageelmoali:
    imageKatK421:
    imageelmoali:

imageKatK421:

I guess the bumper keeping me in my place fell off.  I'm bored and wandering.  You might know the risks.  Not everyone does and they think the risk is standing and falling out.  And really, it's such an easily preventable risk.  No one NEEDS a bumper.

There are a lot of things people don't NEED which increase the risk of sids. Maybe not everyone knows the risks, but by quoting my post you singled me out. You have no idea how I intend to use the bumper. I will clarify. My LO will be in his/her crib from day 1. We will add the bumper once LO is able to roll over and is wiggling all over. Once the baby is able to stand, we will remove them bumper (I know this isn't a BIG risk, but it can be a problem with babies who climb). It's great that you're bored and wandering, but a lot of the ladies on this board have been here since we got our BFPs and have built up some trust and mutual respect, so forgive me if I get defensive when some apparent newcomer shows up and starts judging me for MY choices with MY child.

imageimage
  • imageKatK421:
    imageelmoali:
    imageKatK421:
    imageelmoali:

imageKatK421:

There are a lot of things people don't NEED which increase the risk of sids. Maybe not everyone knows the risks, but by quoting my post you singled me out. You have no idea how I intend to use the bumper. I will clarify. My LO will be in his/her crib from day 1. We will add the bumper once LO is able to roll over and is wiggling all over. Once the baby is able to stand, we will remove them bumper (I know this isn't a BIG risk, but it can be a problem with babies who climb). It's great that you're bored and wandering, but a lot of the ladies on this board have been here since we got our BFPs and have built up some trust and mutual respect, so forgive me if I get defensive when some apparent newcomer shows up and starts judging me for MY choices with MY child.

Alright, I sincerely say that I apologize that I came across as judging.  I truly was wandering from boredom and wanted to clarify in case someone didn't know.  I see a lot that people think the fear is jumping or smothering and it's not.   

• imageHOLL1WOOD:
    We're going with the breathable bumper.  It provides the barrier so that baby won't get her arms stuck in the crib slats but since it's mesh, she would be able to breathe in the event that she put her face against it.
    This.
  • We won't be using one. It's not worth the risk of SIDS, IMO. If we have an issue with LO getting stuck, I might consider a breathable one.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageMSW_721:
    We won't be using one. It's not worth the risk of SIDS, IMO. If we have an issue with LO getting stuck, I might consider a breathable one.

This.  

Married my best friend May 24, 2008
    BFP #1 9/1/11, EDD 5/15/12, Missed M/C at 9w4d, discovered at 11w3d, D&C 11/2/11
    BFP #2 6/20/12, Baby Boy born 3/2/13
    BFP #3 October 2016, EDD 6/11/17
  • We used a breathable bumper with DD and it worked great. I plan to use it again.
  • Same as some previous posters. We will have bumpers in her crib. She will be in a pack and play in our room until she is sleeping longer "thru the night". I will have been able to monitor how she sleeps by that time and be able to see if she turns her head and those sorts of things. We did the same with my first. We were terrified of every little thing with our first and took the bumpers out..... She ended up getting stuck between the rails. It freaked me out so the bumpers got put back in. She moved into a toddler bed a little after she turned one.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Most people don't use them now. However, we did with DS and I'll have them set up for this one as well.

Honestly, these days nothing is considered safe for babies and I found the bumpers useful and not dangerous. It's just a personal call on what you are comfortable with.

• I used the breathable bumper with DD and I will use it again with this little one. I was the person that didnt want any bumpers. That was until DD got freaked out when her leg got stuck in the crib slats.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am not using a bumper or breathable bumper until LO is older and he has a risk of getting stuck between the rails. Not sure if I'll use one even then. I don't really get why people ignore the warnings about bumpers. Although the risk of SIDS is small, I for sure am not taking it. I don't care if I know thousands of kids that have survived bumpers - my kid's not going to be the one to die.

I look for bumpers to eventually be like walkers. No longer even sold.

I'm curious...to those who are using bumpers, is it for the pretty look it gives the crib, or to prevent LO getting stuck between the rails? Because hojestly, when teh baby is a newborn until it can roll, it has ZERO need for a bumper, unless you want your crib to look pretty. I've never been a mom though, so maybe others know something I don't know...

Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • You don't need one in the beginning because baby doesn't roll/move a lot and it's a SIDS risk.  

We used a breathable one once DD was a bit older, but didn't need it.  With this LO, I'll only put it up if he/she moves around a lot past 6m.

And I judge anyone who puts them up because they're 'cute' (unless baby isn't going to sleep in the crib) and also anyone who uses the "well, so-and-so used them and their kids were fine" excuse.   Yes, let's go back to the days of no car seats and when many more babies died of SIDS because we don't know what we know now.  ::eyeroll::

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagekellyrn9956:
    I am not using a bumper or breathable bumper until LO is older and he has a risk of getting stuck between the rails. Not sure if I'll use one even then. I don't really get why people ignore the warnings about bumpers. Although the risk of SIDS is small, I for sure am not taking it. I don't care if I know thousands of kids that have survived bumpers my kid's not going to be the one to die.
    I'm curious...to those who are using bumpers, is it for the pretty look it gives the crib, or to prevent LO getting stuck between the rails? Because hojestly, when teh baby is a newborn until it can roll, it has ZERO need for a bumper, unless you want your crib to look pretty. I've never been a mom though, so maybe others know something I don't know...

Kinda random, but walkers are still sold everywhere.
  • imagekellyrn9956:
    I am not using a bumper or breathable bumper until LO is older and he has a risk of getting stuck between the rails. Not sure if I'll use one even then. I don't really get why people ignore the warnings about bumpers. Although the risk of SIDS is small, I for sure am not taking it. I don't care if I know thousands of kids that have survived bumpers my kid's not going to be the one to die.

I was at target today and they had at least 2 different walkers for sale. I couldn't care less if people use bumpers. We use breathable ones.
  • imagewittyschaffy:
    Not using them.  I have no desire to raise my child's risk of SIDS and crib bumpers are one of the things that I can actually control.  

This. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We won't be using them. I understand that SIDS only occurs in a very small amount of babies but if I can do anything to prevent the risk I will. The reason I feel this way is because I have a friend that lost her first born to SIDS at 7 months. Also if the AAP advises against them then I will listen.

I have also read that they have been banned from sale in the city of Chicago and possibly Maryland.

• We haven't used them for DD (she's 13 months old). Not even because of the SIDS risk, etc. I had them in, and when she had a blow out on her first day home from the hospital, and I had to change the mattress cover, I realized what a PITA bumpers are.  I took them out and never put them back in.  She gets her limbs "stuck" all the time, but it never bothers her.

So no, I will not be purchasing a bedding set that includes bumpers this time.

• Pardon my misinformation. Apparently the death traps known as walkers are still available for sale in the U.S. They are banned in Canada and have been since 2004 from what I now took the time to Google and read. I have never seen a walker in any stores here in MD - not in BRU, Walmart, Target, etc. Pardon my ignorance on walkers.
    Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • imagekellyrn9956:

I am not using a bumper or breathable bumper until LO is older and he has a risk of getting stuck between the rails. Not sure if I'll use one even then. I don't really get why people ignore the warnings about bumpers. Although the risk of SIDS is small, I for sure am not taking it. I don't care if I know thousands of kids that have survived bumpers - my kid's not going to be the one to die.

Maybe I had a freak baby, but I had a newborn that moved.  Moved big time.  It was always in one direction and it was always where he ended up with his head reaching the top of the crib. 

So yeah, you don't really know what works best for *your* kid until he/she is actually here and you are living everyday life. I, for one, was thankful for the small bit of padding.  

• We're buying a breathable bumper, and I'm putting a fabric trim on it that will match the curtains/crib skirt.
  • I used a bumper with DD and will probably use it again with this LO if the set I like includes it.

It my case DD slept in a PNP in my room for the first four months. We had the bumper on for those four months because it looked pretty (DD wasn't using her crib). When we transitioned her to her crib we removed the bumper because while she could hold her head up very well she was not mobile enough to make me feel comfortable with the idea of having the bumper in. Once she was really mobile (rolling around and sitting up by herself) we put them back on because her arms and legs would get stuck between the slats and the risk of SIDS was already much lower.

FWIW, you are going to be paranoid about SIDS regardless of what you decide to do about the bumper. Our first week home with DD we didn't sleep a wink because she made so many crazy noises while she slept. We had purchased the Angel Care monitor but at the time didn't realize it could be installed in a PNP. As soon as we got the Angel Care up and running it really helped give us a little bit of peace of mind. We actually used it for almost a year.

Mr.&Mrs. Ash&Vic Est.1.21.2006 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagetoriwc:

We haven't used them for DD (she's 13 months old). Not even because of the SIDS risk, etc. I had them in, and when she had a blow out on her first day home from the hospital, and I had to change the mattress cover, I realized what a PITA bumpers are.  I took them out and never put them back in.  She gets her limbs "stuck" all the time, but it never bothers her.

So no, I will not be purchasing a bedding set that includes bumpers this time.

I had bumpers with my older kids (almost 21 and 16 years) and I have to agree, they were a huge PITA when it came time to changing the bedding.  I haven't given thought to decorating ds2's nursery yet, but my mom is knitting a bunch of baby blankets so I'll probably just use those with solid colored sheets instead of a coordinated bedding set.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • imagewittyschaffy:
    Not using them.  I have no desire to raise my child's risk of SIDS and crib bumpers are one of the things that I can actually control.  

Exactly this. I will not knowingly endanger my infant. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageAsh&Vic:

I used a bumper with DD and will probably use it again with this LO if the set I like includes it.

It my case DD slept in a PNP in my room for the first four months. We had the bumper on for those four months because it looked pretty (DD wasn't using her crib). When we transitioned her to her crib we removed the bumper because while she could hold her head up very well she was not mobile enough to make me feel comfortable with the idea of having the bumper in. Once she was really mobile (rolling around and sitting up by herself) we put them back on because her arms and legs would get stuck between the slats and the risk of SIDS was already much lower.

FWIW, you are going to be paranoid about SIDS regardless of what you decide to do about the bumper. Our first week home with DD we didn't sleep a wink because she made so many crazy noises while she slept. We had purchased the Angel Care monitor but at the time didn't realize it could be installed in a PNP. As soon as we got the Angel Care up and running it really helped give us a little bit of peace of mind. We actually used it for almost a year.

So, so true!! I remember running errands with DS in the car seat in the buggy.  I kept a blanket over the top (with plenty of room for air, of course) and I was so paranoid that I checked on him at least every other minute.  

• Lol, apparently you can't wander on the bump anymore.  Damn and I'm not even pregnant ;) 

Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • Nope. Never used them. And my 17 month old is a very active sleeper and has never gotten stuck.

I'm shocked by how many people will use them. Especially when there is a better option out there to help with the stuck limbs concern. If this baby gets limbs stuck, we'll get a breathable/mesh bumper.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1: 9-20-2010 EDD: 5-25-2011 DD #1 born: 5-23-2011
    BFP #2: 6-14-2012 EDD: 2-15-2013 MC: 6-19-2012 5w5d
    BFP #3: 7-18-2012 EDD: 3-26-2012

• We will be using a breathable one. That way if little Henry moves to the bumper he can still breath and it will prevent him from getting his legs and arms stuck in the crib. I also plan on purchasing the Angel moniter which detects movement, so hopefully that will put my mind at ease as far as SIDS goes. Has anyone else purchased this?? Is it a good product??
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageABColeslaw:

Lol, apparently you can't wander on the bump anymore.  Damn and I'm not even pregnant ;) 

WHAT ARE YOU DOING! GET OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!11!1!!!1!

It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • With my older 2 children I used regular bumpers with no problem. However with my 3rd they were starting to warn of the dangers of traditional bumpers. I did hours of research found out the major problem was that regular bumpers allow for NO airflow through the crib. Thus your baby keeps rebreathing their own carbon dioxide. At that point I decided to choose a ventilated form of bumper. I ended up with a "ventilated slat bumper" offered by Oliver B. it allows for 100 free airflow. It's cute on the crib is very affordable. Check it out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"