April 2012 Moms

sign language

anyone teaching their child besides me?  Ev has now signed "mama" and "milk" on several occasions!!!  We are still trying to deside if its a fluke or if she knows what she is doing.  As a ridiculously proud mama, I am going with she knows what she is doing Stick out tongue
Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: sign language

• Yes! May regularly signs for milk. So I believe you! It is so helpful. Lots of times I wouldn't have thought she was hungry again. And a lot of times, she just wants a few sips. It's so cute when she signs. I am trying to teach mama, daddy, cat, more, and all done, but so far she has only picked up milk.
  • We wanted to try, but I didn't think it would work with both of us working = not much consistency. 
    Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • It was super helpful with my first son, although I don't think he really started doing it until 8 months or so (we didn't start until around 6 months). Luke STILL signs sometimes while he says the word. He does it especially with "please." It's so cute.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We did it with DS1."More" and "all done" are good ones to teach too. Just started these during solids meals.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • How did you guys go about teaching the signs....just do it when they do the action?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yay! I am so excited. 

I sign to the baby when I am talking to her.  (I know quite a few signs)  So everytime I say mamamamama I sign it over and over. Same with Dadadadada.  then I sign milk every time I give her a bottle or nurse and I say milk too.  Plus every morning we have been watching " baby einstein learning english" while we have breakfast!  Its too fun :-)

BabyFetus Ticker

• imagestacieann15:
    It was super helpful with my first son, although I don't think he really started doing it until 8 months or so (we didn't start until around 6 months). Luke STILL signs sometimes while he says the word. He does it especially with "please." It's so cute.

Please is really cute. I hope Ev will keep some of it as she grows.

for those who dont know, to sign please you place your hand over your heart (like during the pledge of alleigence) and rub your palm in a circle.

BabyFetus Ticker

• we took a local sign language class in August and are about to start it again for nov/dec.

It's sign language in play so they teach the functional signs  but also play words- play, silly, ball, animals, actions (jump, sing, dance, sleep). We know signs for the songs 3 little ducks, monkeys jumping on the bed, bear went over the mountain, you are my sunshine, itsy bitsy spider, etc

we really like the class. he gets excited when i do the signs but doesnt sign back yet. He definitely recognizes milk

• Oh man, mama guilt.  I had every intention of using sign; I know how helpful it can be with language development and decrease frustration about communicating at a young age.

But, we haven't done it.  It just keeps getting pushed later and later... Can anyone recommend an easy to follow book of basic signs?  I'd love to at least teach him a few dozen of the most helpful ones!!  

• imageLolaBelle515:

Oh man, mama guilt.  I had every intention of using sign; I know how helpful it can be with language development and decrease frustration about communicating at a young age.

But, we haven't done it.  It just keeps getting pushed later and later... Can anyone recommend an easy to follow book of basic signs?  I'd love to at least teach him a few dozen of the most helpful ones!!  

try "baby signs" or if you don't mind a little educational screen time click this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1P6IxBSwMc

BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"