Working Moms

When do you stay home? Sick child

How sick is LO before you stay home? DD goes to an inhome provider where she's the only child at the moment. She's had diarrhea three times today and has a small temp of 100.1, but she's acting perfectly fine. She's laughing and crawling all over and playing just like normal. She's also teething I've seen mixed opinions on whether that causes diarrhea and fevers...

I'm trying to decide what to do tomorrow if she's still the same. I'm out of sick leave used all of it for maternity leave and being out last time she was sick and DH can't stay home, so Staying home would cost a day's pay.

What would you do?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When do you stay home? Sick child

• I consider 100.1 a low grade fever and if controlled w/ Tyenol it reduces I would send her to DC. Especially, if she's acting normal.  My kids always had diarrhea and fevers when teething.  It's very possible it could be teething or maybe something else like a virus. 

I only stay home if one of the girls is considerably weak, contagious or has a high grade fever.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ditto pp, we stay home when the daycare policy makes us. :)  Fever of 101 and above, diarrhea, obviously contagious rash and pinkeye are all on daycare's list.  I've given him Motrin and sent him anyway before.  Not proud of that, but it is what it is.  Thankfully, we have grandparents close by who will take him if we really can't miss work.  We are both at the no more sick days left point ourselves this year...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Since your child is the only one there I'd ask DCP what they think.  I stayed home with LO #2 today because she had a fever off and on since Friday and has a horrible choking cough.  Mostly I wanted to take her back to the doctor.  The babysitter doesn't mind taking her sick.  LO #1 is in daycare so we have to follow the sick policy there.

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

Currently loving our placements:

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

• If she is running a fever or is plain ol' miserable, one of us will stay home with her.

A regular sniffle or cough, she goes to day care.  (We're 99% sure she has allergies.)

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• It's tough to decide, if it doesn't seem too serious, in your situation I'd give motrin and send her to DC.  They will call you if it is really bad and they feel LO shouldn't be there. 

DS has had diarrhea off and on for about a week.  No fever, eating and drinking well, acting normal...I sent him to school all but 2 days last week, those 2 days he had diarrhea 4-5 times before we would normally be heading out the door.  On the other days he went once.  His teacher told me they will call after the second time he had diarrhea.  DD has an ear infection, I've given her meds and am sending her to DC.  I work nights and need to sleep because I go back in tonight.  I also don't have any sick time to take a day off.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In your situation, I'd ask your daycare provider if she'd mind taking her. At our daycare, I'd have to keep her home. Kids have to be fever and symptom free for 24 hours at our daycare. Last month my daughter had 2-3 diarrhea diapers everyday for a week. No fever and no other symptoms. We still had to keep her home for that entire time. Ugh.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Thanks guys. I ended up sending her and she seems to be doing fine.

Also... I'm really not that terrible at grammar. Apparently TB erased all of my punctuation and parentheses!

• I typically only stay home and keep DS home if he is contagious. I would chalk what you LO is going through as teething and where there are no other children at DC, I'd take her.
  • For diarrhea and temp under 100.4, I would take my LO to daycare and ask that they temp him ever so often. My daycare would be comfortable with this as their policy is there must be 2 symptoms present to stay home (i.e. diarrhea & fever, fever & cough, etc.)

I will say, however, LO's temp a couple weeks ago was 100.2 at daycare around 9am and had reached 101.5 by about 3pm and landed him in the ER. 

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"