Baby Showers

Co Ed shower/diaper party

My mom is hosting my baby shower. We are expecting between 50 and 60 people. Instead of doing the normal baby shower games, we are trying to think of things people can participate in and not require everyone's attention.

One thing we are thinking of is including on the invite that we are having a door prize and raffle tickets. To get a raffle ticket, you have to bring a pack of diapers. What does everyone think? It is optional. We are listing the prizes. A movie experience for 2, and a Starbucks gift package. 

Re: Co Ed shower/diaper party

• No, no diaper raffle... ever!

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• I agree w the pp. I don't know why "including" people means making them spend more .
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • I find it completely trashy to have any type of raffle at a shower.  Why not just put out a collection jar and call it a day?
    image">

image"">
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • I know you have a lot of people going... but I am doing activities rather than games, and one of them is designing a onesie for the baby...

Im bringing white onesies and sharpies and the guests will decorate them. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMandJS:

I personally HATE raffles and raffle prizes at showers. Guests are already expected to bring one gift. Having them bring a second just to "participate" in a game seems greedy, IMO. If you want to do a raffle, just give everyone a raffle ticket when they arrive. Don't make them pay for it. It's a shower, not a fundraiser. 

ETA: And I would NOT list prizes on the invitation. Again. This is a baby shower - not a fundraiser. If you want to have prizes, then great. But don't try to "entice" people to participate (especially since it costs them more money!) to get a prize. 

This.

Please don't. 

Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • I agree with the others, I wouldn't have a raffle that requires people to bring extra items. My hostess told me she got some scratch off tickets to hand out and the winners get a little gift like a candle or something like that. I really liked that idea and it doesn't require the guests to "pay" to participate. 
  • imageMandJS:

I personally HATE raffles and raffle prizes at showers. Guests are already expected to bring one gift. Having them bring a second just to "participate" in a game seems greedy, IMO. If you want to do a raffle, just give everyone a raffle ticket when they arrive. Don't make them pay for it. It's a shower, not a fundraiser. 

ETA: And I would NOT list prizes on the invitation. Again. This is a baby shower - not a fundraiser. If you want to have prizes, then great. But don't try to "entice" people to participate (especially since it costs them more money!) to get a prize. 

All of this. Especially the part about it not being a fundraiser. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Raffles are for fundraising events.  Do you want your shower to be a fundraiser?  Or do you require a fundraiser?

And a giant eyeroll as a "way to participate."  They're already spending money on you to participate.  Don't ask for more on top of it.  sheesh.

• I would seriously side-eye a baby shower invitation that included a raffle and prize information. It's bad enough that you treat certain guests who bring you extra gifts preferentially. But including it on an invitation really does smack of fundraiser. 

People participate at a shower by socializing. You don't need activities-just great people, food, drink, and gracious hosts.  Gracious hosts don't ask for extra presents. 

• I agree with all of the previous comments.  Also, you said you're thinking of doing that instead of games, but it's not like this is going to keep people occupied.  How long does it take to pick a name out of a hat and give them their prize?
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Not a fan of asking every guest to bring a pack of diapers...

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• I'm just giggling at a "movie experience" for 2.
  • I know one game is a Price is Right game, where people guess prices of common baby items. 

I appreciate the feedback. I am shocked at the overwhelming negative feedback, as I really liked the idea, but nonetheless I posted to get the feedback before anything was decided or printed.

Thanks, everyone! 

• I didn't even read through the responses, but I'm sure a lot of people are with me saying that it is typically seen as pretty tacky.

If you truly want to do a raffle to include more guests this is what my hostesses came up with:

Anyone could write a bit of parenting advice for DH and I on an index card (with their name) which was placed in a large fishbowl. (There was some sort of little sign with a cute saying which I truly can't remember)

While we were opening gifts I would randomly get to pull out a piece of advice and read it aloud. Most of them were hilarious! Then one of my hosts would silently bring them a prize.

I personally loved this because it was a great filler during gift opening and no one was expected to bring anything extra.

• imageMandJS:

This. 

OP...for ideas:  pass around (or have sitting on a table) a container (baby bottle, sippy, etc) filled with M&M's and ask people to put their name and the number they think is in the container on a slip of paper.  They win a prize.  This can be done during gift opening time.  I like the random drawing of the "advice cards" too! 

• If you're looking for a way to get a lot of people involved, you might play Bingo during the gift opening. People fill in their cards with baby items [you could provide a bank of options, and with so many guests you may need to be pretty specific, like a "Mommy's Little ____" onesie, etc.], then mark them off as you open gifts. That way people have something to do while you open gifts, yet can opt out easily if games aren't their thing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural miscarriage @ 5w2d 5/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think the best way to get people involved is to walk around and visit with them personally, thank them for coming, introduce them to people they might not have met yet and just generally spend time with your guests. No games are necessary to accomplish this. 

If you dont have time to personally visit with each guest, at least in small groups, then you should consider cutting back the guest list a bit.

I had 4 showers (yikes, I know) and didn't play a game at a single one of them. All 4 latest 2-4 hours each and were perfect. I visited with everyone. We laughed and shared funny stories about how we all met, life with kids, pregnancy, etc. We had good food. I opened presents. We at cake and visited some more and then everyone started heading home. A good time was had by all.  

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • imagebloomraiser:
    I admit, my coplanner and I did a diaper raffle at my SILs baby shower. I had been to very few, and had never planned one before, so when I read about the idea online, I thought it made sense. They're a needed item, but not a nice gift. We said diapers or wipes, so it would be inexpensive.

Maybe I'm just poor, but I think diapers are expensive! 

• imagebloomraiser:
    I admit, my coplanner and I did a diaper raffle at my SILs baby shower. I had been to very few, and had never planned one before, so when I read about the idea online, I thought it made sense. They're a needed item, but not a nice gift. We said diapers or wipes, so it would be inexpensive.
    And, we served mimosas. And, some of us ended up sitting on the carpeted living room stairs. Horrah!!
    ;/

Um, good for you? You sound like an azz.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imageMelleTX:

I think the best way to get people involved is to walk around and visit with them personally, thank them for coming, introduce them to people they might not have met yet and just generally spend time with your guests. No games are necessary to accomplish this. 

If you dont have time to personally visit with each guest, at least in small groups, then you should consider cutting back the guest list a bit.

I had 4 showers (yikes, I know) and didn't play a game at a single one of them. All 4 latest 2-4 hours each and were perfect. I visited with everyone. We laughed and shared funny stories about how we all met, life with kids, pregnancy, etc. We had good food. I opened presents. We at cake and visited some more and then everyone started heading home. A good time was had by all.  

I heart MelleTX! What she said, that's my advice. 

I won't comment on the diaper raffle thing, because it has been covered and a half. This one is a touchy subject here.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If I saw a diaper raffle/card instead of a gift/ wishing well on an invite, I'd do one of the following:

a) only bring a diaper/wishing well item/ book as a gift

b) spend the amount I felt comfortable spending on a gift that I wanted to choose and skip the diaper raffle/ book instead of a card/ wishing well gift, etc... 

BFP 7/16/12, Due 3/23/13, DS #1 born 3/13/13 BFP #2 8/10/14, CP 8/16/14 BFP #3 9/16/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"