January 2012 Moms

SO: Stairs

Our house is a 4-level split, but DD spends most of her time on the lower level.  The problem (which you can't tell from this picture) is that there isn't a way for us to gate the bottom of the stairs.  The last 3 stairs do not have a railing/wall to attach at gate to (on the right side).  Would you just set up a gate on the last stair with two walls (3 stairs up)?  Or have you figured out a way to set up a one-sided gate?

imageimageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: SO: Stairs

• As mentioned earlier my DD is not climbing stairs nor has she discovered them yet, because i'm keeping her away from them LOL But I would put the gate up where you can, so 3 steps up. At least that way she can't go too far. And maybe you have something else to put in front of the 3 remaining stairs so she can't get there at all. But I'd cover what I can.

• We do not have stairs, but if it was me, I'd keep him off all the stairs.  You could try purchasing one of those 6 part kiddie corrals and take two pieces at a right angle to block off the bottom 3 stairs and the sides of them.  It may take some doing to mount it to the wall, but my inclination is to be safe rather than sorry.  The most I would do is give DS access to the bottom stair (I currently let him crawl on and off an under-bed box I left in the living room).  I wouldn't feel safe giving him access to 3, especially if he could fall off the side of the 3rd step.
    July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemeg_2006:

I would go with this. I didn't even think about falling off the side on the 3rd step till Namara mentioned it. Better safe than sorry.

On an unrelated note: I want one of these to enclose my christmas tree!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have the same situation at our house.  I bought a play yard and wrapped it around the stairs.  It was pretty stable on its own, but DH was worried about her pulling it over so we put boxes on end side to make it more secure.  It's not "attached" to anything.  Our play yard has a gate, but it's short enough to just step over. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • imagemeg_2006:

Ooh, I really like this.  This could work, with a couple extensions.

imageimageimage
  • imageelainelbuck:

We have the same situation at our house.  I bought a play yard and wrapped it around the stairs.  It was pretty stable on its own, but DH was worried about her pulling it over so we put boxes on end side to make it more secure.  It's not "attached" to anything.  Our play yard has a gate, but it's short enough to just step over. 

Do you know which brand of play yard you have?  I've been trying to find one with a gate.

imageimageimage
  • North States Super Yard.  They just started carrying them at BRU.  This is the one I got, but they have the multicolored one too.  https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13193079
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • imageelainelbuck:
    North States Super Yard.  They just started carrying them at BRU.  This is the one I got, but they have the multicolored one too.  https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13193079

That looks perfect.  I had found a metal one, but worried about it tipping on her.  If she is able to tip it, I prefer the lighter plastic.  Now I just have to find a 20% BRU coupon.

imageimageimage
  • imagejnickers98:

imageelainelbuck:
    North States Super Yard.  They just started carrying them at BRU.  This is the one I got, but they have the multicolored one too.  https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13193079

That looks perfect.  I had found a metal one, but worried about it tipping on her.  If she is able to tip it, I prefer the lighter plastic.  Now I just have to find a 20% BRU coupon.

i was worried about it falling on her too, but DD pulls up on it all the time and smacks it and it barely moves. 

Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"