Food Allergy

XP: Milk alternatives - Help!

DS is now almost 13 months and we're working on switching from formula to milk.

We got the okay from the pedi on a Friday, so that night we tried whole milk. He really didn't like the taste of whole milk so we did the formula with 1-2 oz of whole milk in it. He drank it like a champ but then at night he'd wake up wailing and seemed to be in pain (he's normally a 12-13 hour a night sleeper without a peep!).

Well I just assumed it was teething, so the next night we gave a little tylenol and then the same thing happened. The wakings happened 45min - 1 hour after we laid him down, and then would happen every hour after that for 2 - 3 hours. So, the third night I decided to try mixing in 1-2 oz of lactose-free milk. Still the same thing.

So I decided to try soy milk. Just regular, plain, fortified soy milk. We did the same thing, 1-2 oz in with his formula and he slept perfectly.

Now, this leads me to believe he has some sort of milk allergy (and he had been on soy milk since 6 months). I do not want him to be in pain at night, because it breaks my heart, but I'm also alittle concerned about soy milk and estrogen. Do I need to be? Have any other moms had the same situation? What do you use??

Thanks so much for your help!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: XP: Milk alternatives - Help!

• I would be concerned about the estrogen in the soy.  We use coconut milk :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ya I don't like the estrogen either. We use almond milk. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • The official medical recommendation is breast milk, whole cow milk or formula til 2. They are the best nutritional insurance policies for picky toddlers. If formula is working for you I'd stick with it for now. Milk is often outgrown as allergy pretty young so you could revisit it in another six months or so with your doctor.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• imageababymaybe:
    The official medical recommendation is breast milk, whole cow milk or formula til 2. They are the best nutritional insurance policies for picky toddlers. If formula is working for you I'd stick with it for now. Milk is often outgrown as allergy pretty young so you could revisit it in another six months or so with your doctor.

if your child eats a balanced diet (healthy fats, etc) there is no reason why you need o consume dairy. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We were concerned about estrogen too.  We do Rice Milk - it is fortified.  DS is 3 and big and strong. We do soy yogurt.  DS can tolerate a cheese in small doses.

• There is actually no estrogen in soy milk- there are phytosterols (plant compounds) which can act as estrogen in the body.  I've done a lot of research on this topic and talked with pedi, allergist, and a nutritionist.  All have agreed that a couple servings of soy a day is not harmful.  And soy offers way more protein than other options, which is important for a toddler.  

My daughter has two ~6-8 oz cups of soy milk a day.  If she asks for more i keep almond/coconut blend in the house (the only other one she will drink) and offer that.  I also use that for cooking and baking to limit her overall soy intake.  She does eat tofu hot dogs and soy yogurt a few times a week as well.  I've recently tried to switch to almond milk Greek yogurt but she doesn't love that like the soy.  

I try not to worry bc I don't have many other options.  DD is ANA to cows milk and not a big protein eater.  She mainly will eat tofu dogs,  eggs, and peanut butter.  No other meats or beans, so she needs protein from the soy.  She has always been on the larger end of the growth scales (75 weight/ 95 height) and is continuing to thrive.  She is very healthy and never really sick.  I tend to agree that kids don't need to be chugging so much whole milk.  I'm sure I didn't as a kid bc I've never been abig milk  drinker and I turned out fine.  I'd honestly be more concerned about hormones and antibiotics in regular (non organic) milk than I would with soy.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have a much younger brother (currently he's 6). He's allergic to the casein in milk. He drinks a lot of soy but also loves rice milk.

When he first started taking cow's milk in bottle, he COULD NOT get enough of it. He wanted to drink cow's milk ALL the time. Doctor said that craving a food you're allergic too is actually very common, so maybe watch out for actions like that. That's what tipped us off to little bro's allergy.

• DD has a dairy allergy (and peanuts and eggs).  We plan on using almond and coconut milk.  Pedi said that rice milk is crap (her words not mon) and suggested these two.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"