Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Potty training...I am clueless!

My son is just not interested! He will go if I sit him there once in a while but more often than not he will just get angry about it. He doesn't care if I tell him he will get a prize after and I tried leaving him naked and putting him in underwear and that doesn't matter to him either! He is a very smart and advanced boy in most areas so I just don't get it! I think he is capable but he is just very stubborn about it. Any tips? Should I give up for now?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Potty training...I am clueless!

• Options

Coming out of lurking to answer this post...

A friend of mine who is a monther of 3 (2 boys, 1 girl) told me this about potty training..."If you potty train at 2 you'll potty train for a year, if you potty train at 3 you'll potty train for a week". After 3 kids I guess she knows her stuff!

My DS is 2.5 and we started potty training at daycare and he is successful about 60% of the time, but I think we really aren't going to push it until closer to 3 because he's still in that mode of "i'd rather play than be clean" kinda thing. When they are ready...it will be easy, until then it will be a struggle. We have to remember that they do it on their timeline not ours :) Good Luck

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I think potty training is a process. If you start when they're ready, it might only take a week. If you start earlier, they'll get it at the same point as they would have had you waited.

I personally prefer to wait for DC to start telling me when they have to use the potty. Any point prior to that, it wouldn't have worked for us. Even now, if DD2 doesn't think she has to go potty (or doesn't want to), she will sit on the toilet and hold it. You really can't make a child pee.

I'd hold off until he starts showing interest. Just because he's advanced in other areas doesn't mean he's ready to potty train.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

He' probably not ready. I would give up,for now and try again in 4-6 months or if he starts showing real signs. 

FWiW, my DS just learned and we are still working on poop.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am in the same boat as you. DD1 is advanced in a lot of areas, but shows ZERO interest in potty training. We have played it up in every way possible. Stickers, rewards, underweard, pull-ups. You name it we have tried it. I finally just decided to give up for now after what DD's early childhood teacher told us. She said that studies have shown that children who's parents actively push potty training are only trained an average of 2 months sooner than those that just let the child decide when they are ready. She has three kids of her own and said that one of hers didn't potty train til 3.5 because he just didn't want to. She never thought it was worth the battle. The only reason she HAS to be potty trained is preschool which won't be until next September.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"