May 2012 Moms

Making baby food for a month...

A couple of weeks ago I decided that on the last weekend of this month I would be Super Mom (or Super Dumb@@ss, you decide) and make baby food for an entire month.  I thought this would be simple and no big deal.

Apparently I concussed myself or something in the produce department at the grocery store and bought enough stuff to make baby food for an ARMY of babies for a month. 

I started at 9:30am. It is now 9:30pm and I have been making baby food all day. Of course, I was attempting this while also dealing with 2 fussy 5 month olds, so the odds were not in my favor. 

Anyway, I think I actually made enough for a couple months, but since this is my first time batch cooking I don't really know for sure.  All I do know for sure is that I just finally threw my hands up and put what I hadn't pureed yet (which is almost all of it) in the fridge to deal with tomorrow.  My ice cube trays are full (all 8 of them) with sweet potatoes anyway.  Also, I am out of room in the freezer.  Indifferent

I did not plan this very well at all. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Making baby food for a month...

• well, the good thing is this: you have 2 mouths to feed, and when in the freezer, pureed food is good for up to 6 weeks...

but... you don't want to give sweet potatoes for 6 weeks... lol

Hope it all works out for you! I do mine weekly. That way it only takes about 20-30 min (depending on what im making) and I now know about how much raw food will equal a weeks worth of meals in pureed form...

• I got all the sweet potatoes out of the trays and into bags for more compact storage.  Now I just have to figure out where to put the squash, green beans, peas, carrots, apples, pears and bananas.  Haha!! 

ETA:  I've read that frozen purees are good up to 3 months.  Is that not the case?

• Loading the player...
  • My freezer is full of baby food.  DH and I have a hard time shopping for food for us because we can't fit anything else in the freezer (since we already bought a stupid turkey for thanksgiving because it was a good deall, lol)

Anyway I read it's good for up to 3 months also.  And you will go through it surprisingly fast.  (although 8 trays of sweet potatoes is kind of a lot... they are my kids favorite :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am sure it will go faster than I think it will.  I dated all of it just in case, though, so it doesn't stay in there longer than 3 months.  I think we are going to eventually get a stand alone freezer.  We've been talking about it for a while. 

My babies love sweet potatoes, too.  They REALLY love them with apples mixed in.  I alternate bites when feeding them, and usually it's not a problem, but when we have sweet potatoes there's a LOT of impatience and whining involved.  Smile  

Little stinkers.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"