Natural Birth
Options

GD and Natural Birth Plans

Hi, I haven't posted much on this board, but I was recently diagnosed with GD.  So far, I have kept my numbers in check with diet and exercise, and my dr. said if I keep it up for a month, I can cut down testing.  She also said she does not want me to go on medication if we can help it since that's a whole other set of problems.  I hadn't put it together until recently that maybe this GD will affect my plans for a natural med-free birth??  Have any other moms out there been through this?  What can I do to prepare??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: GD and Natural Birth Plans

• Options
    Alot of time the only thing it will affect is that you won't be able to decline an IV/Heplock. With GD you are more likely that they will monitor you levels during labor and delievery and you might need som extra fluids and such to help keep them in check. If you are keeping your numbers good then the fear of an extr a large baby should'nt be as great.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Even with a heplock/IV you can stay somewhat mobile it just means you have to lug the IV pole around. My hospital no longer does hep locks on L&D ( they convert you after delivery) they want everyone to have an IV. Mobility issuse usually arise with fetal monitoring. With GD depending on your doc most want CFM. Some if not most now offer telemettry type where you don't actually stay hooked to a machine it is wireless.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

GD did not impact my labour/delivery process in any negative way.  I am confused that your doc has suggested you can cut down on testing in a month.  Why?  IMO, better to stay informed, you know?

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options
    imageridesbuttons:

GD did not impact my labour/delivery process in any negative way.  I am confused that your doc has suggested you can cut down on testing in a month.  Why?  IMO, better to stay informed, you know?

I really don't know - I get the feeling that's most of her patients' concern/issue when the subject comes up?  I already test more than necessary because I'm kind of curious and I really want to know what foods work well for me and what don't.  I'll be pretty annoyed if my prescription doesn't cover the refills I'll need because of the extra testing...I guess I'll have to see.  Maybe it just has to do with what they want to review on my log, I don't know...?  It seems a little weird to me that they only wanted to check my log after an entire month - I'll have just kind of been on my own with numbers and diet and all that, but I know my fasting numbers were great the last time I went in (70's - 80's), and those were her main concern...

• Options

You should talk to your dr. to find out what their policy is on GD.  As pp mentioned, some providers encourage induction by 29 weeks for anyone with GD, regardless of if it's well controlled. You should communicate your desire to give birth naturally, and see if they will work with you to achieve that. I had diet controlled GD and went past my due date against the advice of my doctors, but I was being monitored daily and everything was fine (heartbeat, fluids, etc).  I wouldn't WORRY about being induced, but just be prepared that it might have to be considered if you go past your due date.  The number one thing that you can do is just be very diligent about your diet and exercise and keep those numbers under control. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was nervous about having to change my birth plan when I had GD with DD.  If you can keep it in check with diet and exercise, you probably won't have anything to worry about (at least that was the advice I got from my midwife, the back-up OB, and the folks at MFM).  If you are birthing in a hospital, they will probably monitor your sugars for you during labor.  You may want to talk to your Dr. about getting permission to eat and drink during labor to keep your blood sugar stable.

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • Options
    Thanks so much for your thoughts ladies - very reassuring, and I have some better ideas of what to talk with my dr. about the next time I'm in!
  • Options

Here is my experience as well as some links for you to read on the subject. 

I have GD, was diagnosed at 28 weeks.  I have monitred my diet, excercise and bgl since then.  I have had no issues since I have been really strict with what I eat and do.  It is HARD sometimes, but it's only a couple of months and I am not doing it for me (that's what keeps me on track!).  MY OB is unconcerned about my GD at this point, as I have kept everything under control.  My last appointment she didn't even want to see my logs.  My point being, if it's under control, then it's almost like you don't have it.  My main concern about my birth plan is that the hospital I will deliver at will not allow you to eat or drink while in labor.  Well... not to be a rebel, but I plan on eating and drinking as needed.  I will monitor my bgl during labor and if I need something to eat, I'm going to eat.  I see no reason to have to have an IV when a couple of bites of a granola bar are all I need. My sister-in-law is a L&D nurse and has said many times how the no eating and drinking for a normal laboring mom is crazy.

The concerns with GD is an overl-large baby (justified concern) and a hypoglycemic newborn (also justified).  The only time this is no issue is if mom has been closely monitoring and keeping bgl under control, then these are really non-issues. 

So all that to say, do your reserach.  Be informed.  I turned down and ultra-sound at 36 weeks because they are NOT accurate and ACOG(what your OB most likely is reading for support and information in his/her practice) doesn't even support it.  I linked to a couple of statements below. 

Also, I found using a site to log my food each meal really helped me get a handle on what was in the food I was eating and what I could and could not handle. 

https://www.aafp.org/afp/2001/0701/p169.html

https://www.aafp.org/afp/2001/0115/p302.html

• Options

I had GD, was on medication, and towards the end my son was not being very reactive during my NST. I had a completely med free birth (well, except for cervadil but that was just because they wanted to get him started... the cervadil put me into labor quickly and I didn't need anything else).

I would suggest continuing to closely follow the GD diet guidelines you were given, stay active, and try to relax. :)

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"