Food Allergy
Options

MSPI mamas, can you answer some q's

Talk me down from the ledge please. long and TMI

I've been off major dairy for about 2 weeks. Little miss was spitty and fussy and I was dairy free with the other two so it was no big deal.

Saturday I noticed she had a nasty rash on her ear with a yellow goo. Monday the pedi dx'ed eczema with an infection and sent us off with bacitracin for her ears, Dr bronners for the bath and no more chocolate for me. He was convinced the eczema is linked to my diet and wanted me to start by cutting all dairy and chocolate and move to soy if we needed to. We already use free and clear, 'safer' soaps etc.

Her ears are still rashy but the yellow went away. Now the rash is all over her cheeks, behind her ears, her neck and is spreading to her shoulders. Today I noticed it starting on her hands. funny how it is all areas that come into contact with her spit up

Yesterday per a call the pedi has me putting the bacitracin on her cheeks as the were starting to yellow.

Starting Wednesday evening she has been a wreck. Her reflux symptoms are going crazy. We're arching, coughing, gagging, congested, spitting and just being miserable. She is so hoarse it is killing me. If she is not nursing or sleeping she is screaming.

So Wednesday night I put the pieces together and realize that her symptoms coincide with my eating beef. Looking back over the past two weeks anytime I was left scratching my head over her reaction, I had eaten beef. Of course had an all beef hot dog for lunch Tuesday, Salsbury steak with beef gravy Tuesday night and a plain hamburger for lunch Wednesday. I did some research and read that while not common, it is not unheard of to have a beef intolerance go along with MSPI.

As of Thursday I gave up beef, all dairy hidden as well, soy and chocolate. Because I am an idiot, I ate some peanut butter on acceptable crackers for lunch.

Last night she had two diapers with streaks of blood in her poop. And again, she was a refluxy hot mess. I can't help but wonder if it was the peanuts.

This morning her diaper was yellow, no blood but really mucousy. The eczema is just awful and my poor baby is miserable. I tried calling our pedi but he is out until Monday and realistically I know he can't do much besides offer me a pep talk.

DH wants to give her formula. : Just until her little body heals and I detox.

I would do it in a heartbeat if it was sure to make her better, but from my reading I believe there is still a chance she could react to even the tiny bit of dairy protein in the hypoallergenic stuff. So if there no promise it will do her any better, I just feel she is better off with BM. I just get the impression DH thinks me selfish for not even trying.

I'm now off dairy, soy, beef, chocolate, and peanuts but only have been for a day and a half.

Am I wrong in thinking the blood and mucous is still because of the beef? How long do you need to be off something before you see some improvement? I know they say it needs to be 2 weeks to get out of your system, but there has to be some signs it is working, right?

If you had eczema as a symptom, does it hit before or after the tummy trouble? Could the eczema still be catching up to all the beef I had eaten?

She just seems to be doing worse.

My boys were both bothered by dairy but nothing like this and I feel so lost and overwhelmed. I can help but feel like I am poisoning my poor little girl every time I go to feed her.

She is growing really well. She was 7.5 at birth, 6.10 when we left the hospital and a whopping 10lbs at 5 weeks on Monday so I'm not worried about failure to thrive right now, but obviously this is no way for her to live.

If I make an appointment, who do I see? A gastro or an allergist? Am I jumping the gun by not giving the diet a solid chance?

Is there anything else I can do? I feel so helpless.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: MSPI mamas, can you answer some q's

• Options
    trying to make paragraphs on mobile!
  • Options
    I would go to a pedi allergist for a second opinion!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If LO has blood in her stool I'd see a pedi GI dr. DS had blood in his stool, although it was occult blood so I couldn't see it, and when we switched him to the elemental formula they said it would take several weeks being on it for him to heal. So they wouldn't even bother testing his diapers when we went to the doctor in the weeks that followed because they said there could still be blood since he was still healing inside.

I'm not sure about your other questions but hope someone else here has answers for you! Good luck. I know what it's like to have a baby that spends every waking moment SCREAMING and it is miserable.
    Mr. & Mrs. UMich! July 2006! :-)
    DX: High FSH/DOR
    It took 44 cycles, just over 3 years, 6 failed IUI's in MI, and 1 round of IVF at CCRM to get our BFP!

Beta #1 (9dp5dt) = 206, Beta #2 (11dp5dt) = 438
    1st u/s @ 6w5d = 11/11/11 = ONE little bean! HB 120bpm!
    ?Our Baby Boy Born June 26th, 2012?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

It can take up to 6 weeks for all hidden dairy and soy to leave your system. In the mean time you could try to eliminate other foods but it might not be necessary. Just to be safe I would also cut out beef but see no reason to cut out peanuts or chocolate.

Also, make sure any supplements you are taking are dairy free as well as baked goods and deli meat. So many things have whey or casein, which are dairy derivatives.   

I would make an appointment with a pediatric GI and have your LO's reflux treated. In my experience pedi GI's handle all allergy related issues until a skin test is done around a year old.  

Good luck! 

• Options

It takes WEEKs for your body to detox from milk so give it time and stick with the diet including all hidden dairy and soy. I know, easier said then done. Maybe the cracker had dairy in it? 

Keep at it for two weeks and if there is no improvement or if it gets worse, talk to your doctor. 

Oh and the formula is not a magic cure all and like you said, some babies still have a reaction to it as well so DH needs to do some more research if he is going to criticize your efforts. You are doing a great job! I know how tough this is. Big hugs. 

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• Options

I'm sorry you are going through this! I have been in your shoes, and have been on the verge of giving up. My LO is intolerant to dairy, soy, beef, chicken, and maybe eggs. She gets bloody mucous stools, gas, and reflux, but no rash. She reacted for at least 72 hours after I ate beef. You can do this, but you have to decide if it is the right choice for your family.

You should definitely see a GI, although dont expect them to help you figure out your diet. However, they will help get the reflux under control and tell you if your diet is successful via testing stools for blood. The elemental formulas will not cause a dairy or soy reaction, but are not a guaranteed fix. Some babies can't handle the corn in Neocate. The  dairy in other hypo formulas like Nutramigen and Alimentum may not agree with some babies, bc it is not broken down to amino acids like the elementals.

If you continue, make sure to keep a food journal, bc every baby is different and may react to something really random. I never would of thought chicken to be a culprit. Good luck and feel free to ask more questions.

• Options
    I have no experience with this but I just wanted to send you a hug and a smile!!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're going through this.  There is a formula called Neocate which has NO trace of dairy or soy at all.  They use it for the most severe allergy cases.  Your doctor may have some samples.  I used this formula with my first son.  We just went straight to Neocate because he was so upset and my no dairy diet didn't work (though now I realize I probably also needed to give up soy and that we probably didn't wait long enough).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"