Attachment Parenting

Tell me what you know about baby hammocks

Safe?  Not safe?

I'm looking at sleeping arrangement options for when #4 comes home.  I'd never even heard of these baby hammocks until now.  It looks like a really comfy place for baby to sleep, but I think I would worry about them smothering themselves somehow.

Someone school me on this.

Re: Tell me what you know about baby hammocks

• I lean toward "not safe", but my nephew spent a few months in a motorized malaysian baby hammock that bounced him up and down all night long because it was the only place he would sleep. He is now 5, so it was safe enough. Wink
  • I've heard they are unsafe and are not subject to the same kinds of testing and regulation as cribs or bassinets. My fear is that some of them (not all) do not have a safety harness and that LO would get rolled over in it. I think they could be a major SIDS risk since air might not travel through the hammock enclosure as well either. I would not use one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesadsadie:
    I've heard they are unsafe and are not subject to the same kinds of testing and regulation as cribs or bassinets. My fear is that some of them (not all) do not have a safety harness and that LO would get rolled over in it. I think they could be a major SIDS risk since air might not travel through the hammock enclosure as well either. I would not use one.

Also, not sure about what your government has to say about it, but ours does not recommend they be used for any child under age 6:

https://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advisories-avis/_2010/2010_146-eng.php

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I want to like them, but they seem like positional asphyxia city to me. Babywearing experts aren't even teaching the cradle hold widely anymore (which is rather like a hammock on mom's body) because of the chin-to-chest issue, so I can't imagine putting baby in that position while I was sleeping. That said, that is only my opinion. I know that The Baby Book recommends one, but as much as a I love that book, it is 20 years old now and shows it's age on several things.
  • We have a beautiful Miyo: https://miyobaby.com/ and love it! We used it mostly for naps because we ended up co-sleeping. I will be using it for baby #2

I think, like most anything, that there is risk potential but I never had any problems or worries about it

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"