Food Allergy
Options

clues of an anaphylatic reaction?

I'm a little nervous about introducing dairy/soy into my daughter's diet. They think it's an intolerance vs an allergy but she hasn't been formally tested yet. 

If your child was having an anaphylatic reaction? what were the first clues & what should you do? i have benadryl on hand at all times.  

Re: clues of an anaphylatic reaction?

• Options

As far as I know the tell tale warning sign is full body hives.  If she's had that reaction I wouldn't try anything at home until she's seen an allergist.  They can do a RAST blood test and based on the level of antibodies (I think that's what they're looking at) that will give an indication of if your daughter would have an anaphylactic reaction or not.  

Ive also heard you can take a dab of whatever food you're introducing on the arm and wait a minute or so.  If Welty hives occur immediately there's a good chance of a severe reaction with ingestion.  You Can then treat the hives with benadryl.  Again, if she's already had any sign of allergy beyond GI upset I would not try this with just Benadryl, I'd wait to see an allergist.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

No matter what "they" think. I would have her formally tested by a pediatric allergist before introducting anything.  My pediatrician also thought it was an intolerance.  But after testing it was determined that she is allergic to dairy, egg and peanuts.

We were told to use our epi-pen for an anaphylatic reaction - benadryl would not be enough.

we have an allergy action plan.  hives, rash and or vomitting we administer benadryl.  itchy throat, wheezing, coughing, low heart rate .. we use the epi pen then benadryl and go the the nearest ER. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    For us, we didn't realize what it was until after.  30 minutes after eating a food, he violently threw up and passed out.  We had no idea it was a severe reaction.  It scared the stuff out of us, but we had no idea and he hadn't been tested yet.
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • Options
    DS licked my finger that had hummus on it.  IMMEDIATELY he started gagging and had hives on his face and chest.  On our way to the ER, he started throwing up.   SO sad :(  At least now we know tho...still scary because he is allergic to sesame...and it isn't labeled that well on ingredients :(
  • Options

Sadly, a lot of doctors are even misinformed about anaphylaxis.

NOT ALL anaphylaxis is "textbook" or necessarily presents itself the way you would expect. It's kind of about the combination of body systems and severity/progression. It is so important that you and other caregivers know what to look for because it can present in different ways.

Lots of doctors we've seen think vomiting (which is a common symptom for my LO) isn't a symptom of anaphylaxis! Wrong! Wrong and scary.

I had to epi my DS recently because he developed a full face of hives and was swelling rapidly. Oh, and screaming his head off. The Benadryl did nothing. Was he wheezing? No. Was it just that he wasn't wheezing yet? Who knows. I wasn't going to take the chance and wait for him to stop breathing, all while his face swelled up like a balloon.

This link is good:

https://www.foodallergy.org/section/a

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    put it on their skin first and wait 15 minutes. if theirs hives then their definitely could be a violent reaction when ingested. choking, coughing, shortness of breath and hives are always the first signs. 
    Siggy Challenge- Valentines Day FAIL Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imagebrowneyedgoil:

I'm a little nervous about introducing dairy/soy into my daughter's diet. They think it's an intolerance vs an allergy but she hasn't been formally tested yet. 

If your child was having an anaphylatic reaction? what were the first clues & what should you do? i have benadryl on hand at all times.  

My son's allergist says more then two symptoms give epi if available or take to ER (swelling & vomiting, rash and swelling, etc). Or any breathing issues. For any reaction you can give benadryl but for a young child make sure you've spoken with a doctor first for correct dosage because the bottle does not give two and under.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"