Success after IF
Options

Low AMH & Clomid cycle w/o IUI

Hello ladies, 

I'm usually a poster on TTGP and recently moved over to 3T. I had my first RE appt. on Wednesday and my dr. is starting me on a clomid cycle with trigger. I was just wondering if anyone has had success with only using clomid and having a low amh. My amh is .88. I'm wondering if I will respond to the clomid? 

My AFC revealed I had 4-5 ant. follies on the left and 1-2 on the right. Not much going on so I'm wondering how well will I respond to just pills.

TIA.  

Oct. 2012: Clomid + Ovidrel = Baby A born 07.17.13 at 38 wks! 
TTC #2 since Jan. 2014
BFP#1 02/26/14 CP 02/28/14
BFP#2 03/23/14 Stick Baby Stick!
imageimage
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Low AMH & Clomid cycle w/o IUI

• Options
    Hi there...I just got my BFP yesterday. My AMH is .49. I was on 50mg Clomid with trigger shot. I had a 16, 18 and 24mm follies when I triggered. We did an IUI and it worked on the first try...def possible...good luck to you! FX!
    Beta #2 = 836
    Beta #1 = 160
    IUI#1 50mg Clomid = BFP!
    TTC #2 DX is .49 AMH

DD Born 5/15/09
    10/2 We have a beautiful Heartbeat!
    IUI #3 BFP! Beta #1 = 13, Beta #2 = 143, Beta #3 = 321, Beta #4 = 1300 Beta #5 = 6319
    IUI #2 = CP
    IUI #1 = BFN
    Unexplained IF
    TTC since June 2007
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thank you! 

My RE wants to try 2-3 clomid cycles with trigger before IUI. I'm hoping we get it quick, but I see that so many people with low amh move on to IUI right away or IVF so I was curious about success with just clomid + trigger.

I haven't received a dx yet.  

ETA: Congrats and GL!!!! 

TTC #2 since Jan. 2014
    imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    FWIW, I had an AMH of .17 and 4 total antral follicles, and the cycle I got pg with DD2 I wasn't allowed to take anything pre-O due to a hysterosocpy, and I got pg with just a trigger/booster (and surgery ;-)).  AMH is just a number, and my RE wouldn't consider it even borderline unless it were under .3 or so, especially if you're under 40 or so.  Best wishes!
    Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
  • Options
    My AMH was .7 last time it was checked. I responded well to Clomid and got pg with DD taking it and doing IUI. I also got a surprise BFP when my DD was 7 months old so good luck! There is hope!
    *My Loves, My Life, My Littles*

02/18/11, 05/24/12 and 12/03/13

• Options
    Thanks for your encouraging stories!! I'm pumped!! :)
    TTC #2 since Jan. 2014
    imageimage

• Options

Alchris ... I want your RE!!!  Mine was all gloom and doom about my AMH level.  You girls have no idea how happy I was to send a birth announcement to their office after having my surprise baby boy ;) 

Anyways, good luck pgermain!

*My Loves, My Life, My Littles*

02/18/11, 05/24/12 and 12/03/13

• Options

AMH is about egg quantity not quality. I have a very low AMH (I was also 38 when I had mine tested) and I got pregnant taking clomid with no trigger or IUI.

Do you normally ovulate or are you taking the clomid to induce ovulation?  I ovulate on my own so I was taking it to try and produce more than just one egg to give us a better chance of fertilization with my husband's crappy sperm.

Good luck!

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    imageitsmevkb:
    AMH is about egg quantity not quality.nbsp;I have a very low AMH I was also 38 when I had mine tested and I got pregnant taking clomid with no trigger or IUI.
    Do you normally ovulate or are you taking the clomid to induce ovulation?nbsp; I ovulate on my own so I was taking it to try and produce more than just one egg to give us a better chance of fertilization with my husband's crappy sperm.
    Good luck!

I ovulate on my own. Its weak though so the clo is for more eggies and bigger.
    TTC #2 since Jan. 2014
    imageimage

• Options
    Hi Pegermain! Just wanted to say that I am in the same boat sort of. I am 26 and my hubby just turned 27. We have a 10 month old baby boy who I got pregnant with 4 cycles after going off the pill. We decided about 2 months ago to start ttcing for baby#2 because we would like our kids close in age. We haven't had any luck yet. Granted we've only tried TWICE but ....I am a super proactive/over planning type person and I wanted to get bloodwork done just to make sure everything was all good because I am a worry wart. Well doc said I have an AMH of .91 and said that I was equivalent to a 40 year old trying to get pregnant! I was like WTF?! All my other hormone levels are normal such as FSH and estrogen,etc. How can this be accurate?! I just had a baby! Anyways she said that it means I have a very low egg supply and its her opinion that I just "got lucky" with my son. She is pushing for us to do clomid with an IUI in the next couple of months. I ovulate on my own the same day every month and it seems to be a "good ovulation" judging by my bloodwork...my progesterone is always over 12 on 7dpo which means I ovulated. Doc said even though I am ovulating she still thinks that we would benefit from clomid and an IUI. I have another appt with her in 2 weeks. I am still confused like you said and want to know why I can't try with just clomid? Why do I NEED an IUI? I have had a baby before! Anyways I have done A LOT of researching on the internet day/night and I was getting scared because everything you read sounds like doom and gloom and most of everyone is either older or resorting to IVF or IUIs. I think AMH is a ery new test and not a lot of docs even test young women for it which is why we can't find much info about it online. I think the doc is being a little bit of an alarmist and maybe just doesn't have experience working with someone our age with low AMH. An older woman with low AMH is still a lot diff than a young women with it. I dunno..just my opinion:) ANyways just from reading this thread it looks like a lot of girls/women have had tremendous luck with clomid and low AMH! So maybe that is all we need? I am curious to follow your journey and hear an update about how it is going with you!
  • Options

imagejacqslo:
    Hi Pegermain! Just wanted to say that I am in the same boat sort of. I am 26 and my hubby just turned 27. We have a 10 month old baby boy who I got pregnant with 4 cycles after going off the pill. We decided about 2 months ago to start ttcing for baby#2 because we would like our kids close in age. We haven't had any luck yet. Granted we've only tried TWICE but ....I am a super proactive/over planning type person and I wanted to get bloodwork done just to make sure everything was all good because I am a worry wart. Well doc said I have an AMH of .91 and said that I was equivalent to a 40 year old trying to get pregnant! I was like WTF?! All my other hormone levels are normal such as FSH and estrogen,etc. How can this be accurate?! I just had a baby! Anyways she said that it means I have a very low egg supply and its her opinion that I just "got lucky" with my son. She is pushing for us to do clomid with an IUI in the next couple of months. I ovulate on my own the same day every month and it seems to be a "good ovulation" judging by my bloodwork...my progesterone is always over 12 on 7dpo which means I ovulated. Doc said even though I am ovulating she still thinks that we would benefit from clomid and an IUI. I have another appt with her in 2 weeks. I am still confused like you said and want to know why I can't try with just clomid? Why do I NEED an IUI? I have had a baby before! Anyways I have done A LOT of researching on the internet day/night and I was getting scared because everything you read sounds like doom and gloom and most of everyone is either older or resorting to IVF or IUIs. I think AMH is a ery new test and not a lot of docs even test young women for it which is why we can't find much info about it online. I think the doc is being a little bit of an alarmist and maybe just doesn't have experience working with someone our age with low AMH. An older woman with low AMH is still a lot diff than a young women with it. I dunno..just my opinion:) ANyways just from reading this thread it looks like a lot of girls/women have had tremendous luck with clomid and low AMH! So maybe that is all we need? I am curious to follow your journey and hear an update about how it is going with you!

Thank you for your response! It was lovely to hear you conceived naturally! My RE pretty much sounds like yours. She told me I have time on my hands in a sense that 26 year old eggs are better than 41 year old eggs. She also told me that she has treated a lot of woman with low amh with just clomid and they get pregnant. 

I've also done a lot of research and there isn't so much out there, especially for people our age. I guess I need to take that into consideration with whether or not the tx will work for me. 

I'll find out next week if I'm responding well. We aren't doing IUI though since my DH's SA came back fine.  

Thanks again! I am posting my updates and such on 3T also.  

TTC #2 since Jan. 2014
    imageimage

• Options
    No prob! I am happy (as happy as you can be in this situation) that I found someone my age going through the same thing.  Ya this sucks that we have to deal with this. 5 years ago I don't think docs would have even tested for AMH and would have just gone by FSH which would put us in the normal category if you think about it. I am sure there are lots of women with low AMH out there who conceive naturally all the time but will never know because they have never been tested. I would have been one of those people if I hadn't gotten this stupid test done! Lol. Honestly sometimes I am mad at myself for getting it done because now I feel like it is causing a lot of stress. I sometimes think that if I would have just let us try a little longer...maybe I would have gotten pregnant and then I wouldn't have to be going through all this. On the other hand it is good to know that perhaps we don't have all the time in the world to have another baby. I am conflicted! Haha. Anyways yes I would love to hear how you are responding to the clomid! I have SO many questions! I can't wait to see my RE in 1.5 weeks so that I can get this show on the road! DH's SA came back normal too so again it is weird that she wants me to do clomid+IUI instead of just IUI. Huh?
  • Options
    oops... *I meant instead of just clomid
  • Options

imagejacqslo:
    No prob! I am happy (as happy as you can be in this situation) that I found someone my age going through the same thing.  Ya this sucks that we have to deal with this. 5 years ago I don't think docs would have even tested for AMH and would have just gone by FSH which would put us in the normal category if you think about it. I am sure there are lots of women with low AMH out there who conceive naturally all the time but will never know because they have never been tested. I would have been one of those people if I hadn't gotten this stupid test done! Lol. Honestly sometimes I am mad at myself for getting it done because now I feel like it is causing a lot of stress. I sometimes think that if I would have just let us try a little longer...maybe I would have gotten pregnant and then I wouldn't have to be going through all this. On the other hand it is good to know that perhaps we don't have all the time in the world to have another baby. I am conflicted! Haha. Anyways yes I would love to hear how you are responding to the clomid! I have SO many questions! I can't wait to see my RE in 1.5 weeks so that I can get this show on the road! DH's SA came back normal too so again it is weird that she wants me to do clomid+IUI instead of just IUI. Huh?

I think some RE's are just more aggressive than others. My RE wants to start off will the least possible intervention which I'm happy for.

I also feel conflicted about finding out, but I'm more happy than anything bc the real issue is that we don't know how quickly it progresses. Personally after this, I'm an advocate for getting these general tests done in the beginning of TTC than waiting a year. Others might think that's "borrowing trouble" but I don't see how it's bad to gain knowledge about your body. 

I can't wait for Thursday!!  

TTC #2 since Jan. 2014
    imageimage

• Options
    Hey low amh buddy! Wanted to see how you were doing. I clicked your blog link and I see that you did a clomid trigger cycle! Did you do an IUI with it or just timed intercourse? Anyways things look really good for you and I hope you get preggo!! Right now I am waiting for my period to start so that I can begin my first clomid+IUI cycle. Its promising to see that you responded well to the clomid since our AMH's are pretty similar...although I know that might not mean anything. I ended up switching doc's. The doc I was seeing was about to do a clomid+IUI cycle with me and then decided she didn't "feel comfortable" and said that with my AMH (.91) that I really should just go straight to IVF. I was like what?! I had a baby 11 months ago and am 26 years old....you really wont even let me try clomid? She said no. I spent like a week crying my freaking eyes out thinking I am infertile and that I would never have another baby. We have Kaiser insurance and their doc's don't always know what they are doing so I decided to just get a second opinion just to see if this woman was right or not. I saw another doc and he was SO awesome. He said that the doc I had seen previously was whacked in the head. He said that AMH should never be tested on someone under the age of 35 because he does not believe it is accurate. He said when you are young AMH CAN fluctuate quite a bit. He did an ultrasound on me and said I have a normal antral follicle count and that my ovaries looked great. He thinks I will have no problem getting pregnant naturally but if I wanted to get the ball rolling ...he could prescribe clomid and do an IUI. I am anxious to get the ball rolling so that is what we are going to do. I ovulate every month but not always on the same day. He said since my ovulation was a "little dysfunctional" clomid would help with that. The most important thing he said was that at the end of the day...you can run all the blood tests in the world but they don't mean jack sh**t (ok he didn't actually say that but pretty much). He said all that matters is how you respond to drugs. You can have awesome AMH but not respond to clomid or you can have crappy AMH but respond no problem to clomid. He was laughing when I told him that my previous doctor said I needed IVF. He said that she just doesn't know what she is doing and that I am a normal 26 year old who maybe has some ovulation dysfunction possibly from being on birth control for 10+ years or maybe even from having a baby 11 months ago. dysfunction. Anyways I can't wait to get started with him and I hope everything turns out alright.
  • Options
    Hey! Im in the same boat! 28...ttc for 14 months amh .88 How did it work out for you? I'm starting my second cycle tomorrow of injectable menopur and the trigger shot w timed intercourse. Cycle one was a bust!
  • Options
    Hey there hopeful. I think she ended up getting a BFP. I read it on her blog. So looks like clomid worked for the first time with timed intercourse. I have low AMH too at .91. I am 26 (will be 27 in a couple months) and I have a son who just turned 1 who was conceived no prob. Didn't know I had low AMH when we were TTCing for him. We are trying for baby#2 now and I found out I have low AMH...so even though we have only tried a couple of times so far....the doc has convinced me to do clomid+iui and get aggressive about it because he doesn't think time is on my side. I just started clomid tonight! First time I have ever taken anything! So I take is day 3-7 and then day 8 I take menopur. Then I will do a trigger shot when they tell me to and then the IUI will be 36 hours later
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"