May 2012 Moms

giving water

Just curious if you ladies are giving your lo's water. My pediatrician said i can when her stools get harder which they are. Shes drinking an ounce or 2 a day. The pediatrian asked why i didnt want to give her juice. The thing is i live in phx az. I would rather her get.comfortable with the watr befoe she gets the sugary stuff. I will probably give her juice after 6mo just want her to lile water first. Where are you mommies at?

Re: giving water

• DD gets mostly BM.  Once this week she reached for my cup, so I let her drink a tiny amount of water. I am only just starting to experiment with some solid food this week...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He gets water when practicing with the sippy cup because so little of it makes it in his mouth that its not worth putting formula in it but we are absolutely not doing juice and my pediatrician agrees. I'm really against sweet beverages so we just don't have anything like that in the house.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We started giving Fifi little tastes of water. Right now it's just to start teaching her how to drink from a cup (regular, not sippy). She has been staring with amazement at us eating and drinking for weeks so we figured we'd try. She was squealing with joy. We only give her a really small amount each time.

• My dr has me giving one of the boys water to help him break up his mucous, she said it's better then mucinex for breaking it up in babies. He only gets an oz when he needs it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My LO will reach for my cup so I have been giving her a sip of water here and there which she loves.  I bought her a sippy cup to practice with and will probable get a couple regular cups too.

I also wonder why he thinks you should be giving juice.  I see no reason to be giving my LO juice at this age, especially just to drink for fun. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sorry post came out wrong. She agrees with me on the water she just said to give the water when the stool gets firmer. I am giving the juice several months down the road. Was wondering where you ladies were at. I give her an oz a day. Im al for the water. We live in a desert lol no sugary drinks for awhile.
  • No Lucas gets all he needs from bm, no need to fill his tummy with something with no nutrienal value.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • I give apple juice only for constipation, and I dilute it with half water.  We don't do it too often, maybe once a week if that.  O hates it so with him I usually wait awhile to see if the stools improve on their own.  I have experimented with him with the sippy cup and water but no luck yet.  He holds his own bottle but can't really figure out how to tilt the cup up far enough. He loves trying to drink water out of my plastic water bottle though and dumping it all over us :)
  • We have given water/juice since about 3 months. Since we are in FL, the pedi said it's ok because they don't necessarily need food (BM), but they get dehydrated like we do. We decided to give 100% white grape juice (no added sugar), diluted 1:4, so it's very watery. We did that because around the same time, she was getting sick from daycare nose, and we wanted the extra vitamin C that we would not get if it were water alone.
    For my little man...I only knew you in my heart. D&C 3/1/11 EDD 9/8/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"